Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aphex Twin - New Album

• 03-04-2009 4:26pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Don't know if this is old news to this forum but according to powerfm.org Aphex Twin has a new album coming out later this year.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hmmm, interesting! I hope its true but I'd be a bit skeptical. There seems to be a lot of mysticism around RDJ and a lot of rumours as a result. And its been a very long time since he's released anything on Warp (I think...)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

But he is performing as part of Warp's anniversary celebration so here's hoping.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hermy wrote: »
    But he is performing as part of Warp's anniversary celebration so here's hoping.

Aaaah I hadn't read that :o

Here's hoping indeed!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Also this from the BBC:
    Warp Records reveals Electronic pioneer's new record is on the way 13 March 2009
    Experimental wizard Aphex Twin is notoriously reclusive when it comes to his music but 6 Music can reveal his new album's in the works.
    Steve Beckett, founder of Aphex’s parent label Warp Records, exclusively said: “We’re definitely going to be putting out a new album by him. Hopefully it will be this year, if I can prise it out of his hands. It’s definitely on its way.”
    Recently Warp has brought us music by the likes of Jamie Lidell, Squarepusher as well as bands like !!!, Grizzly Bear and Maximo Park.
    It is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year with several big gigs in London, New York Tokyo and Paris and have already revealed that Richard James, better known as Aphex Twin, will be playing a show in the French Capital on 9 May.
    His last release was in April 2006, titled Chosen Lords, a compilation of the Analord material.
    Speaking about working with the influential artist, Beckett said: “He’s got his own unique view on life and obviously he’s just a genius musician and artist and it’s brilliant to work with him. He’s a genuine, English eccentric.”
    However, the new material will be kept firmly under wraps until late in the recording process, continued Beckett.
    “I don’t know a single note or anything about it,” he explained. “It will be as much of a surprise to me as anyone else.
    “Basically I find out what it sounds like when we go into the mastering room and he puts it - well how it used to be, he'll put the DAT player in and there it’ll be - so that’s the first time I’ll hear it.
    “Then I’ll go onto my knees and thank him and then we’ll put it out.”
    Speaking about the forthcoming shows, Beckett said he is thrilled with the final Paris line-up: “The big coup there is getting Aphex Twin to play so that was the one that we were really excited to pin down.”
    Georgie Rogers

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Interesting alright, wonder will he choose another direction...

As an aside, did anything ever come of all the Tuss / Aphex connection rumours?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

i think this is genuine, i wouldnt expect it until late in the year though, i also get the impression afx is more open to doing live shows these days, whether its for the money or just his getting on and is realising that he is misiing out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Would love to see him play a live set, I've seen him play a DJ set twice and they were great gigs but a live set would be much better. And I think the Tuss debate was pretty much settled as definately being RDJ because it was noticed that there was a sample of the Yamaha GX1 synth in one of the songs and he's one of only a handful of people in the world that owns one. Here's some info on the synth http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/gx1.php

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lukasz.

cornbb wrote: »
    Hmmm, interesting! I hope its true but I'd be a bit skeptical. There seems to be a lot of mysticism around RDJ and a lot of rumours as a result. And its been a very long time since he's released anything on Warp (I think...)

i was going to reply back to you and say "oh,what about chosen lords" that was only released a lil' while back..."

but just realised chosen lords is a compilation of tracks (vinyl only) that were released through the analord series...

Silly me,kekeke..

im lookin' well forward to his new album,i cant get enough of his work.
    hmm,i hope its nce and acidy like chosen lords,i have a funny felling it will.
    I just love it when he uses that nice Roland tb303 squelchy bassline,with the rough n ready poor mans 909,the Roland 707.

Sheer analogue bliss 0_o

jiltloop wrote: »
    Would love to see him play a live set, I've seen him play a DJ set twice and they were great gigs but a live set would be much better. And I think the Tuss debate was pretty much settled as definately being RDJ because it was noticed that there was a sample of the Yamaha GX1 synth in one of the songs and he's one of only a handful of people in the world that owns one. Here's some info on the synth http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/gx1.php

seeing him play live is a bit of a rarity,you'd be lucky to get a glimpse of that.
    But,it may happen.

thanks for the info on that synth,never really knew about that lil' gem.

Kewl :)

How about a DJ set from ol' Richie,twould love 2 see that.

Anyone know of any DJsets by aphex floating about in computer space??

• Advertisement

Just remembered this video I stumbled across a while back of Aphex Twin live in 1993 - excellent stuff.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x32qpd_aphex-twin-live-1993_music

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Just remembered this video I stumbled across a while back of Aphex Twin live in 1993 - excellent stuff.

thats a vid i never saw...
    man,those synths are gettin' pwned.

Lukasz. wrote: »
    thats a vid i never saw...
    man,those synths are gettin' pwned.

In my old age and lack of internet terminology understanding, I had to google 'pwned' to fully understand your post! :pac:

In my old age and lack of internet terminology understanding, I had to google 'pwned' to fully understand your post! :pac:

yeah no worries,its all good.
    man,after watching that vid of aphex,id just love to go upstairs and swith on all my synths and blast out a track,but,alas,no.As i would wake up the neighbours!

Damn suburbia,wish i liv'd in the countryside!

Lukasz. wrote: »
    yeah no worries,its all good.
    man,after watching that vid of aphex,id just love to go upstairs and swith on all my synths and blast out a track,but,alas,no.As i would wake up the neighbours!

Damn suburbia,wish i liv'd in the countryside!

Yeah it's pretty full-on. I'd love to see him perform like that live.

Yeah it's pretty full-on. I'd love to see him perform like that live.

True that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jiltloop

In Dublin too! Looks like the TBMC. That's where I seen him a couple of times. Second time was the best though as he was playing with Bogdan Raczsynski. Bogdan seemed to be off his tits and came into the crowd dancing around like a madman during Aphex's set, even sitting up on table beside the decks while Aphex was mixing. Best gig I was ever at by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

sorry to disappoint but that video heading is wrong, it definitely not Dublin unless we turned into italians - check out the crowd 11:10 in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

jiltloop wrote: »
    In Dublin too! Looks like the TBMC. That's where I seen him a couple of times. Second time was the best though as he was playing with Bogdan Raczsynski. Bogdan seemed to be off his tits and came into the crowd dancing around like a madman during Aphex's set, even sitting up on table beside the decks while Aphex was mixing. Best gig I was ever at by far.

I was at that too Man.. AFX crouching behind the decks!

I knew one of the Guys who was doing the visuals or something.. He said that Bogdan never drinks & had had a couple that night - Just went ape altogether. He fell off the decks as far as I remember.. :confused:

Best time I ever saw AFX was in the Olympia - Think 98. It was part of the Heineken Festival. Tricky was meant to be playing & cancelled. AFX was a last minute thing.

Absolutely Mental. He had a Guy dancing on stage.. Fantastic Night. It was all the early stuff (obviously.. :D) that he was playing. I'm not sure if he was playing live.. but it possibly could have been. It sounded exactly like that.

Thats the AFX music I love. All the early stuff was full on.

Seen him quite a few times afterwards, when he was playing all the glitchy stuff.. but it just wasnt the same.

People could really get lost in the earlier stuff. The music had time to develop.

Advertisement