Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New series : Sanctuary

Options
  • 03-04-2009 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone see this yet? It's like - let's make a series from the leftover Stargate actors. Amanda Tapping - Carter has the lead, with the crappiest british accent ever, Leyden from SGA's Genii is a main character, Major Lorne's in it, but wait for it ...

Christopher Heyerdahl (Todd the wraith and Halling) has 2 roles, just like he did in SGA, one as a human, and one as a creature/human hybrid [edit]Bigfoot[/edit] who speaks in a 2 tone voice, just like a wraith.

Add to that really crappy special effects that look like they were done on an Amiga 500, and you've got a gyst of the series.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

When and where did u see this episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's not Stargate, it's a new series recycling Stargate actors called Sanctuary. It was on the SciFi channel last night around 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ned78 wrote: »
    Amanda Tapping - Carter has the lead, with the crappiest british accent ever.

But she is actually English...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

she's canadian..

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

she was born in england and raised in canada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I really like this show and the accent is incredibly sexy...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,474 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the show is decent. it had 1 season. never heard about a second, but it was getting very well reviewed, and according to the ratings did much better than Eureka, Sci Fi's last original series. Chances that it will get renewed are high.

edit: http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2009/04/07/Season-2-of-Sanctuary-starts-shooting/UPI-97801239139719/

correction: Sanctuary 2 is underway

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Ziggy_1972

I've watched a few episodes. I can see why Amanda did it, the chance of a different look & accent to show her acting abilities.
    Unfortunately, the show is pants. I've watched about 4 episodes on Sci-i, but I think I'll have to stop. Nothing is improving.
    Eureka, yeah, it's had a couple of interesting episodes, but not enough to make me watch it any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

ned78 wrote: »
    Did anyone see this yet? It's like - let's make a series from the leftover Stargate actors.

Yeah I've seen it ... LOL agree with the recycling of Stargate actors, as well as writers and directors - who all seem to have jumped ship from Season 4 + 5 of SGA. The original webisode series of Sanctuary had loads more SG actors in it, Paul McGillion, and Peter DeLuise put in appearances ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I watched the webisodes when they first came out, they were about 15 minutes each with 8 episodes in total and for a series developed for the web I thought it had great production value... however the transition to a TV show on the other hand has made the show look really cheap and thrown together and it doesnt really stand up well to other SciFi we have on TV, even with all the editing and reshoots they did after it was commissioned for TV.

I'm hoping they'll use less green-screen next season, since they'll probably have a larger budget and will be able to build more sets, as imo green screen looks noticeably fake which doesnt help immersion, which for me is extremely important in SciFi.

Most of the acting is fine, the stories are pretty decent too and it's also an added bonus to have so many great Stargate actors make appearences and I'm holding out hope for some cameos from more of the main Stargate cast next season :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

robby^5 wrote: »
    I'm hoping they'll use less green-screen next season, since they'll probably have a larger budget and will be able to build more sets, as imo green screen looks noticeably fake which doesn't help immersion, which for me is extremely important in SciFi.

Yeah, the green screen was fine on a pooter screen, but it looks woeful on the telly
    Most of the acting is fine, the stories are pretty decent too and it's also an added bonus to have so many great Stargate actors make appearances and I'm holding out hope for some cameos from more of the main Stargate cast next season :)

Yay to that!!

I have to say I really enjoyed the first series of sanctuary. I actually like having the familiar faces acting in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

it is an excellent show, im really looking forward the season 2 which is due to kick-off this october, to be aired right after universe, universe i believe is starting in august, universe is 20 episodes and sanctuary will be a 13 episode series, so theyll air together when both are going,

the cgi works out way cheaper than sets, and costumes, if you build sets it really limits where you can go, wheras with the cgi you can (and they have) travel the world, without cgi the sanctuary would have 2 rooms, the city would be 3 blocks long, consisting of 2 two story building, that have the same fire escape,

its sci-fi use your imagination,

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Ziggy_1972

don ramo wrote: »
    its sci-fi use your imagination,

Yeah, I used my imagination, I imagined I was watching a much better show. Then I switched channel, and I was.

Advertisement