Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HomeBrew Turbo Cider question

• 03-04-2009 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi i have made 4ltrs turbo cider from apple juice and bread yeast which creates a lot of c02 i have added 250g sugar into it... .. i plan to bottle them into 500ml capped bottles... my question is this am i able to put a half spoon of sugar into the bottles with out fear of it creating a huge c02 built up that would brake the bottles? i will only be bottling when the gravity level is OK!

Please let me know

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I don't add sugar to the bottle my self, but half tea spoon should bee grand, that the small one not the lager spoon

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭starman08

oblivious wrote: »
    I don't add sugar to the bottle my self, but half tea spoon should bee grand, that the small one not the lager spoon

Thanks mate.. and thanks for the definition of spoon sizes ha ha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

bread yeast? really? Thats more along the lines of prison hooch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

kenmc wrote: »
    bread yeast? really? Thats more along the lines of prison hooch!

I've had prison hooch, it isn't nice.

To quote Bubbles (Trailer Park Boys)

You can hardly get her into ya, but my god does it get you some drunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

You can buy a sachet of brewing yeast for about 6 euro or less. You can then reuse it in your next brews. The yeast will mutate away from its original strain but it will still be better then bread yeast.

I have not used bread yeast but my opinion is you can add a small spoon of sugfar to a bottle and store it fairly cold for about 3 weeks and you should not have a problem. Maybe keep them in a plastic container just in case.

(or about 2 euro here )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes, get proper yeast in future.

Bread yeast is a strain especially for bread, when you ferment sugars they create alcohol & CO2 gas. The bread strains favour CO2 production and can only tolerate low % brews before dying off. I have yeasts that brew up to 18% in a matter of days. The brewing yeasts will also usually favour alcohol production rather than CO2, I think it is only a little, but they should produce a much better flavour too.

I have made beer before using brew kits.. so i know all about the yeasts.. I just used bread yeast to see what it would be like to make it so cheap.. i got 8 sachets of bread yeast and 4 litres of apples juice for 4 euro in dunnes so thats pretty good.. I tasted it and its not bad.. So next step teach all the students how to make it

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, get proper yeast in future.

Bread yeast is a strain especially for bread, when you ferment sugars they create alcohol & CO2 gas. The bread strains favour CO2 production and can only tolerate low % brews before dying off. I have yeasts that brew up to 18% in a matter of days. The brewing yeasts will also usually favour alcohol production rather than CO2, I think it is only a little, but they should produce a much better flavour too.

18% ? is that wine yeast.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

You can get a proper cider yeast for €1.99 or a Champagne yeast for €1.49 so I really think using bread yeast is a false economy.

I know that the shipping is €7, but I'm sure that if you sent them an email and asked nicely, they would pop it in an envelope for you and send it via An Post.

Homebrewed cider usually turns out pretty dry, which isn't to everyone's taste. A simple solution to this is to have a carton of apple juce on the table and use it to sweeten your drink to taste at serving time.

As for teaching students how to do it, it turns out any idiot can do it:

AnyIdiot.jpg

Courtesy IrishCraftBrewer.com's BogMyrtle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement