Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson & Mcgregor banned from playing for scotland again

• 03-04-2009 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

news just breaking that "Ma baw" Ferguson has been stripped of the captaincy and transfer listed (again)...will post a link as soon as one appears.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

All we've got at the moment is real Radio who broke the news....fun times!
    We can reveal Rangers' Barry Ferguson's been stripped of his captaincy at the Ibrox club. The midfielder's also being transfer listed.It's after he joined team-mate Allan MacGregor in an all-night drinking session after Scotland's Holland game on Sunday. Both players were sent home from training with the Rangers squad today.

The pair were dropped from the squad for the game against Iceland on Wednesday.

Ferguson also faces losing the Scotland captaincy as the SFA launch a probe into what happened at the team hotel at the weekend. Association president George Peat also wants answers on pictures of the pair making rude hand gestures during the Iceland game.

From the Evening Times
    Manager Walter Smith sent both players home on their arrival at Murray Park before putting the rest of the players through their paces.

SportTimes understands the Ibrox gaffer is furious with the pair for embarrassing the club after being axed from the Scotland team following an all-night drinking session at the team hotel.

Ferguson and McGregor were the last two standing after a group of players stayed up throughout the night after flying back from Holland, forcing Scotland manager George Burley to drop them from the starting line-up against Iceland.

But Smith's decision to send them packing this morning will now raise question marks over their futures at Rangers. A Rangers insider revealed: "Walter hasn't been impressed in the slightest with their conduct.

"He was one of the first people on the phone to George Burley earlier in the week to assure him that any decisions he made would have his full backing.

"Smith thought both players showed their international manager a lack of respect and abused their position. And he feels it reflects badly on Rangers, especially with Barry being the club captain.

"The manager has obviously had a few days to think things through since learning about their conduct during the week. And he most certainly wasn't impressed with the two players giving V-signs to photographers either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/04/03/SPL-Ferguson-McGregor-reports/gnid-47079/

read comments | have your say
    Barry Ferguson has been stripped of the Rangers captaincy and transfer listed, according Setanta Sports News sources.
    The midfielder was dropped from the Scotland side on Wednesday following a burst-up with George Burley after an incident on Sunday.
    The former Blackburn player and team-mate Allan McGregor were caught drinking through the day and were left out the side to face Iceland.
    But Setanta Sports News understands the pair were sent home from training on Friday morning and Ferguson has been transfer-listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

output.gif

That sums the pair of them up to me in all honesty Des.

ferguson is 31 years old, the supposed captain of his country and club, what is he doing acting like a spoilt 9 year old?
    Mcgregor had been given the chance to make the Scotland jersey his own...yet he decides to behave like an idiot?

it doesnt represent Rangers very well, and i'm fairly sure they dont just switch that attitude on and off for internationals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Sorry... I seem to have stumbled into a Rangers thread here... :D

Load of crap if you ask me. If Rangers weren't desperate for cash, Ferguson would not be transfer listed.

If the reports from the Scottish camp are true, I'm surprised at Ferguson tbh. Never had much time for McGregor though and nothing would surprise me with him. Goalkeepers are always a bit :eek: anyway. ;)

PauloMN wrote: »
    Sorry... I seem to have stumbled into a Rangers thread here... :D

Load of crap if you ask me. If Rangers weren't desperate for cash, Ferguson would not be transfer listed.

If the reports from the Scottish camp are true, I'm surprised at Ferguson tbh. Never had much time for McGregor though and nothing would surprise me with him. Goalkeepers are always a bit :eek: anyway. ;)

Well seeing as the "celtic" thread was way back on the 4th page i didnt really think it would matter too much.....

As for transfer listing Ferguson, i think your way off the mark.

Why strip him of the captaincy with 8 games to go if there hasnt been some sort of fall out?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote: »
    Well seeing as the "celtic" thread was way back on the 4th page i didnt really think it would matter too much.....

That's international weeks for ya!
    Eirebear wrote: »
    As for transfer listing Ferguson, i think your way off the mark.

Why strip him of the captaincy with 8 games to go if there hasnt been some sort of fall out?

Why transfer list him though? It's not just because of something he did while away with the international squad, or some stupid falling out over that. Perfect opportunity for Murray Mint to stick him on sale again and try to get some dough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Why transfer list him though? It's not just because of something he did while away with the international squad, or some stupid falling out over that. Perfect opportunity for Murray Mint to stick him on sale again and try to get some dough.

The straw that broke the camels back tbh. Also if he's looking to off-load for financial reasons this is probaly the worst way they coud of gone about it. A petulant 31 year old club captain who's been transfer listed by his club for acting the twat is going to knock a good bit of money of his potential transfer fee.

Do you not remember the last time ferguson fell out with the manager?

"I'll never play for Rangers again" were his words, he decided to phone the media personally to tell them this before Rangers had time to prepare a statement.

He has and always has been a spoilt, arrogant brat and as Chucky says this is just the last straw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Ferguson axed as Rangers captain

Rangers have stripped Barry Ferguson of the captaincy and dropped the midfielder and keeper Allan McGregor after breaching Scotland discipline.

The pair were sent home from training on Friday and will not face Falkirk.

Rangers manager Walter Smith said he decided to take action after V-signs made by the players while sitting on the bench against Iceland on Wednesday.

They had been dropped by Scotland boss George Burley after a drinking session after Saturday's defeat by Netherlands.

Now both men have been ordered by Smith to report to Rangers' training ground at Murray Park on Friday for talks with the club's chief executive, Martin Bain.

A further statement will then be issued by the club, but there are question marks over the longer-term future of the pair, who have been suspended by Smith for two weeks.

The day after Scotland's 2-1 win over Iceland, Scottish Football Association chief executive Gordon Smith and manager George Burley suggested that the matter was now closed.

The more disappointing aspect for us was the subsequent action on the bench on Wednesday night

Rangers manager Walter Smith
    However, SFA president George Peat has since indicated that he wants a further investigation of the events, with other players having been involved in the drinking incident.

He has demanded that Smith and Burley file a report on the incidents to the parent body's board meeting on Thursday.

And Rangers manager Walter Smith has taken his own action while explaining that it was not so much the drinking controversy that had led to him taking action.

"We were unhappy about that situation, but that was something for George to act on," said Smith, who has chosen veteran defender David Weir to captain the side until the end of the season.

"The more disappointing aspect for us was the subsequent action on the bench on Wednesday night.

"From the club's point of view, that was not a good image to project."

Smith's side are chasing arch-rivals and Glasgow neighbours Celtic in the race for the title, with Falkirk their next opponents in the Scottish Premier League on Sunday.

"It's not something we would have wanted at this time, but the timing was not in our control," said the manager, who thought the players had embarrassed themselves by their actions.

"We just have to react to the circumstances and, regrettably, it has happened at this time.

"Life goes on. We have to go on without the lads."

Rangers Supporters' Trust spokesman David Edgar backed the club's action while admitting that some fans had sympathy for the players.

"Most people I have spoken to have backed the manager as they have let their club and their country down," he said.

"The gestures were so childish and immature it beggars belief that the captain of Rangers and Scotland thought it was a good idea.

"We need to eradicate this culture of drinking among footballers."

Ferguson was previously stripped of the Rangers captaincy in 2007 while the team was managed by Frenchman Paul Le Guen but reinstated by Smith.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/7981287.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Sensentional news. Really is. Celtic must be laughing their heads off at this! If some fans didnt think Celtic were going to win championship, well let me tell you, the fat lady has cleared her throat after this! Rangers will be in disarray!

fergusonvsign800_2104647.jpg

Reminds me of when I was twelve, sitting at the table for Sunday dinner, doing that at my sisters across the table and the folks not copping on!!!! Of course I'd not have been seen dead in a Scotland jersey. :eek:

Doesn't quite work for a 31 year old in front of the national media though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I just shocked that Barry Bawbag and McGregor didnt go smash up Manchester when they were pished :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Brewster wrote: »
    No it wouldn't. Aidan is only a young boy and has achieved very little in his career to date. Maybe in time he can take on this mantle. But one thing is for certain, Aidan could look at what happens when you go on the batter once too often and make sure he doesnt make same mistakes as Ferguson did. Apparently Ferguson's Scotland career over too according to media. Its such a shame. Really is.

Sorry to disagree with you but Fergie has made to many errors of judgement and this was the last straw he is a highly paid footballer who was acting like a 10 year old with a petted lip no sympathy for him at all

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

The SFA have stated that neither will be picked again for scotland while rangers have suspended them for 2 weeks without pay.

what do you think? the right decision or abit over the top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

what the **** have they done exactly?

never to be picked for your country seems a little harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the V sign thing was just stupid, would need to know more about what prompted the entire thing, what exactly they did after the holland game to form a real opinion on the incident. As it is, just don't know enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Apparently Ferguson's Scotland career over too according to media. Its such a shame. Really is.

My heart bleeds for him! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

As simply put as possible, they went on the beer after losing to Holland, got caught, were dropped for th home games Vs Iceland. As the camera was panning across the bench both were throwing a V sign as "discreetly" as possible - you know, same as what you would do in 1st year - fingers pressed against your face nonchalantly. They got caught, the book has been thrown at them.

2 words sums them up completely - Fúcking Eejits.

• Advertisement

Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor have been banned from ever representing
    Scotland again, the Scottish Football Association have confirmed.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Barry-Ferguson-And-Allan-McGregor-Banned-From-Playing-For-Scotland-For-Ever/Article/200904115255365?f=vg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ha ha, this story is dead funny, bleeding school kids. . .they were probably doing the whole coughing and saying stuff under their breath in the dressing room too!

Scots ban Rangers pair for life

Ferguson and McGregor were shown making V-signs on international duty
    Rangers' Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor have been told they will never play for Scotland again.

The Scottish FA made the announcement because of a weekend drinking session after defeat by Netherlands and V-signs made on the bench against Iceland.

Rangers had earlier on Friday stripped Ferguson of the team captaincy and suspended the midfielder and goalkeeper McGregor for two weeks without pay.

Veteran defender David Weir has been named the new Rangers captain.

Ferguson and McGregor have apologised for their actions, but their futures at Rangers could also now be in doubt.

The pair had initially been dropped to the bench by Scotland manager George Burley following the early-hours drinking session at the team hotel following the 3-0 World Cup qualifiying reverse in Amsterdam.

SFA chief executive Gordon Smith on Thursday backed his manager's action and suggested that the matter was now closed.

It has been decided that Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor will no longer be considered for international selection by Scotland

Scottish FA spokesman
    But the governing body's president, George Peat, demanded a further investigation in light of the gestures made by the two players while they were substitutes for Wednesday's 2-1 win over Iceland.

And, following a hectic Friday of meetings and phone calls, further action has been taken by the SFA and Rangers.

"In light of the events of the past 48 hours, and following further discussions between the national team manager and the chief executive, it has been decided that Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor will no longer be considered for international selection by Scotland," said an SFA spokesman.

"This action has been taken in the best interest of the squad, the fans and the country. We are determined to qualify for the World Cup and we must ensure that nothing is allowed to distract us from achieving this goal."

McGregor and Ferguson had earlier on Friday been sent home from Rangers training and later had a meeting with Ibrox chief executive Martin Bain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7981287.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

But were they doing it straight at the camera? Any pics/footage of this?.....or in a joking kinda way? either way, a bit stupid of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

But were they doing it straight at the camera? Any pics/footage of this?.....or in a joking kinda way? either way, a bit stupid of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Scotland and Rangers have responded to childish behaviour by involving themselves in an even more childish game of one-upmanship. Bravo folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Not a massive loss for Scotland, wonder if Rangers will sell them though.Although the incident was definitely childish,not selecting them to play for their country ever again seems a bit much especially since they have apologised.

Well McGregor is not the scots no.1 so he wont be missed. Ferguson on the other is a key player for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

redout wrote: »
    Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor have been banned from ever representing
    Scotland again, the Scottish Football Association have confirmed.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Barry-Ferguson-And-Allan-McGregor-Banned-From-Playing-For-Scotland-For-Ever/Article/200904115255365?f=vg

Surprising but I think the hard line had to be taken because there was under currents that Burley didnt have control of his players. This definitely knocks that notion out of the park.

Jury's out whether this makes Rangers implode or come out fighting tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

****ing idiots. the banning for life thing may be a bit harsh, but if i were Burley i definitly wouldn't be considering them for the rest of my managerial term. Much more disappointing from Ferguson as he was supposed to be the team captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

What a pair o' plonkers.

It's a slippery slope. Footballers will be cursing next. What will we do then? t'll be chaos.

Stekelly wrote: »
    It's a slippery slope. Footballers will be cursing next. What will we do then? t'll be chaos.

ah, no this is a bit more than that. they've shown complete and utter disrespect for those in charge of them as well as the nation basically. it seems petty but it shouldn't be tolerated.

ah, no this is a bit more than that. they've shown complete and utter disrespect for those in charge of them as well as the nation basically. it seems petty but it shouldn't be tolerated.

They went on the piss. It happens and they are punished. But this thing of banning them for stickign their fingers up is ridiculous.

Where Rangers going to take the captaincy off Ferguson before the 2nd part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

They went on the piss. It happens and they are punished. But this thing of banning them for stickign their fingers up is ridiculous.

would you want your club captain acting like a little spoiled pi$$ant in front of the worlds media?

I don't think it's harsh at all. He should look at himself and make a serious grovelling apology to Rangers and Scotland. Shameful stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

My heart bleeds for him! :D:D:D

Thats a very sad response to be honest to such a serious issue. Ok fair enough your a Celtic fan, but the guys international career and possibly his professional career are over tbh.... This is major major news. Really is. Whens the last time a top class professional, captain of a massive club is banned from playing for his country?? Damned if I know...

if they shut up and took their punishment fair enough, but to go making petty vulgarities to the media over it? drawing excessive media attention onto the camp and themselves while making burley and SFA look bad for not being able to discipline their players? the reaction's understandable stekelly.

Thats a very sad response to be honest to such a serious issue. Ok fair enough your a Celtic fan, but the guys international career and possibly his professional career are over tbh.... This is major major news. Really is. Whens the last time a top class professional, captain of a massive club is banned from playing for his country?? Damned if I know...

I don't like the man and his attitude. Paul Le Guen obviously had the right idea. Mac Gregor i couldnt care less about but two highly paid paid professionals acting like schoolboys...Fk them imo. And yes as a Celtic fan i do take some pleasure from seeing Rangers in tuirmoil. I dont like the club, what it stands for, it's players or the majority of their fans or what they stand for. I don't include the Rangers posters here in that category.

Massive club :pac: Ok only joking.:o

Ok, the drinking i could get over, but the childish behaviour with the two fingered nonsense on Wednesday, three days after the piss up is a bit hard to take in all fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Idiots the both of them.

• Advertisement

As a rangers fan I have no sympathy for either of them, Ferguson Captain of club and country let himself down with these antics Rangers don't need idiots like him McGregor seems to think he because of his friendship with Ferguson seemed to think he could get away with it.

I do have a slight problem as far as the Scotland thing though with the fact they were not the only ones involved in the drinking

As a rangers fan I have no sympathy for either of them, Ferguson Captain of club and country let himself down with these antics Rangers don't need idiots like him McGregor seems to think he because of his friendship with Ferguson seemed to think he could get away with it.

I do have a slight problem as far as the Scotland thing though with the fact they were not the only ones involved in the drinking

Lots of rumours that Brown and macManus were on the lash with them??:confused:

Lots of rumours that Brown and macManus were on the lash with them??:confused:

Don't know about McManus but from what I've heard Brown was there and only left 10 or 15 minutes before it all kicked off .
    Also it seems it was Brown who shaved McGregors head :eek:

Have to agree with Brewster {shock horror} :eek:. Much as I would slag them off over a 2 week suspension or whatever, and for acting the dick, their internation careers are over by the looks of it. I can't find anything to rejoice in that really, it's a sad situation when things get to that level and players' careers come to an end.

It's pretty severe really, the punishment, but as said above the reaction on Wednesday with the V-signs sealed their fate. They had enough time to straighten their heads out but went ahead with that ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I've moved a whole load of posts from the Celtic thread re. this incident to this thread, I'll ask all contributors to remember the forum charter and ask that they abide by that at all times.

Thank you.

Grovelling apologies:
    mms://video.premiumtv.co.uk/rangersfc/video/ferguson_mcgregor_030409_hi.wmv

Grovelling apologies:

Forced apologies, a week too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Apparently Bazza's missus is pissed off with him too. Told him not to come home last night as she does not like the media and they where camped outside their house.

So he stayed in their other flat not far from murray park :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Scotland and Rangers have responded to childish behaviour by involving themselves in an even more childish game of one-upmanship. Bravo folks.

I'll have what you're drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

fergusonvsign800_2104647.jpg

If someone doesn't photoshop a tongue sticking out of his mouth i'll be disappointed:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement