Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuam Ladies Soccer Team

Options
  • 03-04-2009 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all!

I'm trying to set up a ladies soccer team here in Tuam. I'm gonna say ages 15+. Will either be a junior or senior team.

Gonna try and get as many numbers for a charity match over the coming weeks to give me an idea of what has to be done and hope that there will be enough for the league in May (cutting it very tight!).

So anybody in Tuam and the surrounding areas, PM me and I'll give ya my number and we can talk!

Mary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Best of luck. You could probably get some of the Cortoon/Tuam ladies football team interested if you could make contact with some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Thanks Dec. I have been trying, a meeting had been held but I'm in college in Limerick so I couldn't attend and am waiting for a report from it!
    I fear it's getting late but even for a bit of fun! A bit of interest from the football club, have to go and ask the Corofin football crowd too...

It would be no harm to email a note to Tuam Herald, Connacht Tribune and Galway Bay telling them what you are at, when you are thinking of setting up the club and a contact number. Bet there would be a good response.

Advertising costs, I am a broke student!
    I will be advertising in the schools if Tuam Celtic get back to me...

No, not advertising I mean. If you sent all of them details of what you are about, they would carry it for free like they do local notes. Studentbroke? Am having none of it.

• Advertisement

I suppose that would work...but I still haven't heard back from Tuam Celtic which has disappointed me a great deal.

Studentbroke is reality, trust me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jenzo

Hi, I think this is a really good idea, The rugby team and Sylane Camogie set up last year and are going really well, there was nothing besides football before that. I think soccer would be great. I could get a few contacts for you within tuam celtic if you want?
    How about starting a five aside fun league to start?

I got in contact with the higher powers in TC who have been of absolute no help. They said they would bring it to a meeting and get back to me. 5 weeks later and no news. I was getting ready for exams so I wasn't going chasing anybody.

5 a side would be a great way to start alright...
    If you could even mention that there is an interest to the Chairperson, he might see that I am not on my own in thinking that the town NEEDS a team.

Will chat to a few of the lads and get back to you

Thanks a million.

Seriously appreciated!

• Advertisement

Fair play, Mars Bar for your interest in setting up a ladies soccer club in Tuam but you will get fek all help from other groups who are trying to maintain their own membership and going to the chairpersons or committees of clubs is the wrong approach in my opinion. There are ladies footballers in Cortoon, Tuam, Milltown, Kilkerrin, Corofin and Killererin who would love to get involved in what you are thinking of. You simply have to get it out there that a soccer club is starting; organise a starting night/ info night or something similar through a bit of free publicity and word of mouth. If you got, say, 20 together on the first evening it would be a start. And word of it would spread very quickly. It may need a few phone calls from a few key people to start it off.

Yes, but I need a pitch with goalposts. And doing that without permission is trespassing. That's what I have to wait on...
    The only thing holding it up is the mens Div 2 scandal and the planks in the Galway FA...

Could you not go down the road of establishing a ladies team that would be attached to the likes of Tuam Celtic or Dynamo Blues and that would sort out your pitch problems. Agree that those involved in Galway FA are probably the most unhelpful bunch you will come across and, in fact, will probably put obstacles in your way.

Well that's what I was talking to the Chairperson of TC about.
    But now Dynamo Blues are going to get a nice new pitch and facilities so ya never know...
    The weather is too nice to be running after people...

The ladies team is going ahead!

Anyone interested, just let me know via PM!

Well done. Obviously you are determined. Hope it goes well. Where did you get a pitch in the end?

Thanks!

I got it with Tuam Celtic. I must have been talking to the wrong person coz once it got into Stan Loftus's hands, it was all go! We are going to do it in conjunction with their 35 year anniversary. A lot of people will be around for that so it will be good. First challenge match is the 18th of July!

Hope to see ya there!

Thought Celtic would be accommodating all right. A great bunch of lads involved in the club and the 35th celebrations will be a hectic night in the Ard Ri. Fair play to you for getting it off the ground and hope that it is a wonderful success.

Thanks Dec! :D

Hi Mars Bar..count me in! Are you the contact in the Herald. Think I may be able to round up a few!

• Advertisement

That's me in the Herald alright!
    Great stuff Jenzo!

See some of you got your photograph taken as part of the 35th anniversary history launch by Tuam Celtic and will be playing an exhibition match on July 18 as part of the celebrations. Not to be missed.

Yup we did!
    It's been years since I wore a Tuam Celtic jersey so it was great to pull one on for the photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Well done! Will ye be joining the galway district ladies league next season then? (Mid way through the season now).

Well that's the plan Toby! There are very few teams left in the league with Dunmore and a couple of other teams moving to the Roscommon League and a good few teams dropped out of the league. Hopefully we can start a trend by joining next year. It'll be a few challenge matches for us this year and we'll see how it goes!

Training starts tonight at 7pm in Tuam Celtic Pitch!

22 people turned up tonight! I was more than impressed!

mars bar wrote: »
    22 people turned up tonight! I was more than impressed!

And so you should be. That was a great turnout and hopefully those who attended will return and bring a few more with them. A wonderful start. Well done.

We had people who couldn't come due to previous commitments so I would say it is going to stay in and around the 20 people mark. It's going to be a headache for the manager to pick a team for the 18th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fio_

I'm just wonderin what evening or time training is on at?

• Advertisement

Hey,

we are training this evening at 7.15 in Celtic Park out Cloonthue Rd. Send me a PM if ya need directions or anything if you are planning to come!

We have played 3 matches so far and lost 2 and won our last one, against experienced teams. We have another match on Friday against a new team (Cloonfad) who are in the same situation as ourselves.

Mary

Advertisement