Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuam Ladies Soccer Team

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jenzo

Training this evening (wed) at 7.15 and match friday v cloonfad. Meetin at cathedral at 6.15. Good to see another new recruit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fio_

thanks mary,
    I'll see if i can rustle my boots out of the attic this evening. it has been YEARs since i played though, but want to get back out & active so ill give it a go this evening...

cheers, Fiona

• Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's great Fiona, we look forward to having ya there!

We're taking over the world Jenzo!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Post the results of the games you have played and how you have performed. I think we would all be interested to know. You could be the subject of some sort of reality TV show at this stage.

Haha!

Well the first match against Renmore was a tough one because we had to use all 22 players so there was never really a settled team. We lost 2-1 against ten women, to a late penalty. But we were happy.

Second match, we got a right hiding from Dunmore, I actually don't know the proper score but I know we scored two goals. Was a reality check and did us the world of good. Had 22 players again but we tried to keep a core team on the pitch.

The last match we played was against Moylough and we won this one 1 - 0. We scored the goal when I got to the end of a free kick mid - way through the second half. From then on, we were defending. Our goalie and central defender were both outstanding! We had worked on positioning in training and it did the trick. Less than 22 players, makes life slightly easier!

We have scored 4 goals in 3 matches from 4 different players. 2 wingers and 2 strikers and that's what you are looking for.

Hopefully we can make it two in a row on Friday but it's going to be a Renmore job in that every player there will get a game. It's Cloonfad's first ever match so we are giving a chance to the girls who come training but don't necessarily start matches a chance to gain some on - pitch experience which will help them develop and ultimately balance the team a little. Will also make people realise they are fighting for spots seeing as we have so many players!

• Advertisement

Impressive beginning for a newly formed club and fair play to ya for getting on the score sheet. It's a great success story and while results are important, I bet the 22 players that you use for a game are delighted to get their chance to prove themselves. It is great for you and everyone involved in the club and hopefully you can keep it up. Just keep it tight at the back and all that!

Thanks Dec! Yeah I couldn't believe the quality that was already there. Just to build on it now. Have had two new players in the last two weeks with some previous experience which is brilliant.

Short a few numbers to enter an U 17 team which is a shame. Seems they all play GAA these days...

We keep knocking at Tuam Celtic's door now and reminding them that we are there, and we should do okay. We're gonna train and have a match once a week if possible through the winter and we should be decent enough I think for May.

Ye should be well sorted by May. Putting in an under 17 team as well? Fair play for operating as fast as ye are. Glad to see that the numbers are being maintained and I suppose the next thing will be a coach. Then some fund raising and suddenly it will all fall into place. A great achievement all round and no doubt Celtic will lend their support on a financial basis as well as they are not short of a few bob!

Unfortunately we don't have enough to put in an U-17 team but maybe in years to come, there will be an underage structure.

We have a manager and a coach and they are doing a great job. They are very busy with refereeing commitments that were sorted before the team came along so we have to be patient with them. Any time they haven't been able to come, we still had about 18 - 20 players turn up and we train ourselves. Working set pieces and that kind of thing...
    Some of the girls up there are great at taking responsibility in warm ups and sorting teams.

The TC Committee are meeting to sort our registration fee (they gave us a price and it was astronomical for the first year with no guarantee it will stick around). We are hoping to get them to meet us half way with it, as you say, they aren't short of funds. And thanks to us, they got their planning permission. It's the least they can do for us. Especially when we have already sorted our own insurance policy.
    They have been good so far, so hoping that we can all work in unison!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fio_

Hey Mary,
    I just wanted to say thanks for getting all of this together. it was good fun to get back on a pitch again yesterday. I am aching today though! ha
    Great to read about the games so far. Friday's game should be good. See you there :-)
    Fiona

• Advertisement

Glad you enjoyed it Fiona!
    I'm sore myself actually...really should have done a warm down...

Yeah see ya tomorrow!

Ok, where to start?!

We had 21 - 22 players for the match today!

We started the match with a...less experienced team I suppose, with 3 - 4 experienced players. And it showed. We conceded 3 goals in the first half. Frustrating to say the least as our midfield fell apart (I put my hands up, definitely not my best match!).

Second half, 10 changes and a fresh team. More experienced players with a few newbies in there. We pushed hard and scored a goal with 2 or 3 good chances that could, or should, have been taken. We got a free kick outside the box...and wow! What a free! Up and over the wall and down quickly into the bottom corner. The girl who scored deserved it! We had two balls come off the post, couldn't believe how unlucky we were!
    They didn't know what hit them in the second half.

Had we the "usual" team for the majority of the match, there would have been no doubt we would have beaten them. They only got a slight sniff at goal in the second half.

These Cloonfad girls, well I doubt that that was their first match. I think some of them had played with Dunmore and they have had to have a had match before this one. They did really well though, good to see teams springing up and increasing the competition.
    Best of luck to them in the future!!

Cloonfad 3 Tuam Celtic 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jenzo

First half seemed tough alright although have to say midfield were torn apart as opposed to fell apart.:o They put a fair amount of work in...just needed more support. It's all heading in the right direction definitely and would be great to get u.17's up and running. That would be a great achievement in the first yr!:)
    Also... they Cloonfad are definitely no newbies..they're very settled on the ball, with good control skills and awareness.

jenzo wrote: »
    First half seemed tough alright although have to say midfield were torn apart as opposed to fell apart.:o They put a fair amount of work in...just needed more support. It's all heading in the right direction definitely and would be great to get u.17's up and running. That would be a great achievement in the first yr!:)
    Also... they Cloonfad are definitely no newbies..they're very settled on the ball, with good control skills and awareness.

Yes that is a better way of phrasing it...

Aaah, still good result though. It's the first attempt in all fairness and ye did well. Hitting the post on a couple of occasions was unfortunate. It will get better.

Looking at it this way...lost the first half 3-0, won the second half 2-0. Two completely different teams, two completely different matches! It was exciting stuff though...

Hoping we are playing in Tuam this week. I'll post it here, ya must come down if there is Dec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mufc red devil

mars bar wrote: »
    Hey all!

I'm trying to set up a ladies soccer team here in Tuam. I'm gonna say ages 15+. Will either be a junior or senior team.

Gonna try and get as many numbers for a charity match over the coming weeks to give me an idea of what has to be done and hope that there will be enough for the league in May (cutting it very tight!).

So anybody in Tuam and the surrounding areas, PM me and I'll give ya my number and we can talk!

Mary
    hi my names kathleen i play for a ladies soccer team in claremorris we are trying to get playing a few competitve games and just wondered if you would be interested.. let us know anyway. my numbers 085xxx

hi my names kathleen i play for a ladies soccer team in claremorris we are trying to get playing a few competitve games and just wondered if you would be interested.. let us know anyway. my numbers 0857156496

Definitely, PM Sent.

We played Cloonfad tonight, won 2-1. Should have been more goals on our behalf but we got the win in what was an extremely physical ladies match!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good bye kingbowe9

We played Cloonfad tonight, won 2-1. Should have been more goals on our behalf but we got the win in what was an extremely physical ladies match![/QUOTE]

Well done on the result. We watch this team with interest. You might as well keep us up to date on what is happening with this team. Was this a friendly? And have you joined an actual league?

• Advertisement

dec25532 wrote: »
    We played Cloonfad tonight, won 2-1. Should have been more goals on our behalf but we got the win in what was an extremely physical ladies match!
    Well done on the result. We watch this team with interest. You might as well keep us up to date on what is happening with this team. Was this a friendly? And have you joined an actual league?

I'd have called it a challenge as it wasn't very friendly!

Well the league has finished now so it's going to be quiet regarding friendlies from now until after Christmas. We have organised a challenge match with Claremorris for the 30th in Tuam. Might see ya there?

We are paying our membership now and have just been given sponsorship by a pub in town to get jerseys!

We will be joining the Galway league which starts in May. Apparently Athenry and Loughrea will have teams in there too so that'll make 10 teams in the league. Would make for a great league if it was run properly. However, some refs didn't get paid (there are only 5 refs in ladies) so they won't play 'til they get paid(understandably enough). If we have no refs, it'll mean no league. Just keeping our fingers crossed at the moment that it'll get resolved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

Wow, I just read this thread. I must say huge congrats to ya mars bar for setting the club up on your own.

I would love to get playing with ye but I'm a (poor) student and travelling expenses to Tuam (I don't even know how far away it is from the city) would probably be too much!

I'm well impressed though, can't wait to get playing again.. :)

Thank you!:D That's a 20 year old student with nothing to do for 4 months for ya!

It would be quite the expense if you are travelling on a bus alright (or even the car!) and being a student, well I feel for ya! As I said in the thread in the City section, Oranbay and Renmore are definitely two for you to consider. In terms of quality of the teams, they are very evenly matched with maybe Oranbay being slightly better in the striking department.

mars bar wrote: »
    Thank you!:D That's a 20 year old student with nothing to do for 4 months for ya!

It would be quite the expense if you are travelling on a bus alright (or even the car!) and being a student, well I feel for ya! As I said in the thread in the City section, Oranbay and Renmore are definitely two for you to consider. In terms of quality of the teams, they are very evenly matched with maybe Oranbay being slightly better in the striking department.

They pack a good punch do they? Thought you said that this ladies soccer lark was all clean good fun, Mars Bar. Now I am really getting interested!

Haha, I thought it was all good fun too...

...I am still sporting the bruises from the Cloonfad match four weeks ago!

We're back in action with outdoor training again after doing indoor for the winter. :D

If any more ladies out there wish to join, feel free to send me a PM!

Glad to see you back in action. I kinda missed the almost weekly escapades of the Tuam Celtic ladies. Hope ye built up a bit of strength over the winter months in case ye meet Cloonfad again! If I am not mistaken, you are still nursing the bruises.

Hah, those bruises are gone now but we are sporting some new ones from our INSANE training sessions!

We have two new trainers and they are putting us through our paces. I'm not joking when I say I am so sore after Saturday. Went training again this evening and I'm going to be immobile tomorrow.

Anyway, again, any ladies out there, PM me if you're interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

is the ladies soccer club still on the go and if so what are the meeting times?

• Advertisement

hamlet1 wrote: »
    is the ladies soccer club still on the go and if so what are the meeting times?

Yeah we are!

We train Monday's at 7.30 and Saturday's at 7 in Celtic Park, we also do indoor in the Mercy Gym on Thursday's at 6.45.

Send me a PM if you want more info, we would be glad to have another person on board! :D

Advertisement