Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with my dog run.

• 03-04-2009 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've just taken in a pyrenean mountain dog, owners took off and he was left homeless. Given his size i'm building a run, so he's not loose when i'm not about (indoors is not an option, he's huge!)

So here my plan, have a huge garden with alot of unused space at the back. was thinking to erect some harris fencing, 2 long,2 wide. setting the stands into the ground so as to keep the bottom of the fence flush with the concrete base.

Anyone got a rough price on what i'd pay for 8, 8 "stands" and the clamps that hold them together?

Think i have the right name, this is them.

fence.jpg

Obviously these look shabby as their onsite and not rooted to the floor to remove strain and movement.

So the concrete floor and fence is taken into account. After that i'm planning to erect some timber poles about 7 foot high to the front and 8 foot to the rear to give me a fall to let water run off and not sit on the cover i put on. I'm thinking a curtain side?

To look similar to this,

frame.jpg

Raised at the back, curtain side (or other suggested covering) on top, fencing on the sides and concrete base.
    Pretty cool "home" for a dog. Obviously i'll build a house for him inside.

So basically i'm looking for pricing on the fencing from those who've bought it, or those in the trade.

Then i'd like some feedback/tips/suggestions before i jump in and build it.

Thanks in advance, if i've not described it clearly enough please ask some questions. My choice of wording isn't the best, i'm a chef not a builder ha:P

This is the dog,

28032009007.jpg
    28032009005.jpg

He's living in that bus when i went to see him, the guy pictured took him to find someone to house him.

Obviously he's shabby abd filthy now, but when he's back to his best this is what he is,

dog2.jpg

Some difference, some size (pics are deceptive).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Also forgot to mention, i'm in whitegate, co.cork (midleton). If someone is out of work, thinks they can help out, have a background in this and are not too steep, who knows, mights be a few days in it. cash in hand obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

cant believe some one would just leave their dog . shameful.

harris fencing should be cheap now due to the down turn. Might be worth while asking at your nearest big development .

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

gsxr1 wrote: »
    cant believe some one would just leave their dog . shameful.

harris fencing should be cheap now due to the down turn. Might be worth while asking at your nearest big development .

Yeh, its not on, but then again i won't complain, i'll look after him and give him the home all dogs deserve.

My neighbours a contractor, only decided to diy it yesterday so i'll get onto him and see whats about.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Do you mind me asking what you used as a roof cover??

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

Hi Keith,
    Firstly big respect for what you are doing.
    This is how I did mine.
    Get the fencing with a middle bar, they are much stronger than the ones with out, I put down a few inches of concrete, on a slight slope and made an indent with sewer pipe before it went off, this leads to a soakaway, handy for hosing down, get some galv pipe that fits over the base tubes of the fencing, cut to about 8" and hammer one end flat. Now while the concrete is still soft place in the fencing with the small lengths of galv pipe slipped over the base tubes and clamp it together. This allows you to remove the fencing easily.
    You will need a door made in the fencing.
    I also used some of the green windbreak to wrap the fence and the roof, it keeps out the wind in winter and takes the edge off the sun in the summer, I have split mine with an extra pannel with a door and a dog house in each one so a friends dog can be kept safe while visiting during the shooting season.
    I got my fencing from a tool hire company for 80 quid each, I can't remember the cost of the clamps.
    Any local welding guy could make up and fit the door, if you can't find someone PM me, I'm at the other end of the county however.
    Hope this helps somewhat.
    Spannerman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Just came across this thread on the main page. I'm currently doing a dog run myself, i looked into that fencing also, along with galvanised runs and so on.

I have seen that picture of your dog before, was it on pet issues?

I just want to commend you on taking the dog in and trying to give him the best which is what he deserves. Hope you get the advice you need and best of luck :)

EDIT - ah god just realised this thread is two months old lol

Advertisement