Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Floodlighting

Options
  • 03-04-2009 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Heres the scenario, 4 no columns with 4 number floodlights on each column. There is a three phase supply. Obviously the load will need to be distributed over the three phases. My question is can a seperate cable be to each light from distriution board. Public lighting requires a cutout in each column to isolate light but this wont be possible in this situation. Has anyone any ideas on this. (Remote control gear mounted on T bar on top of column)
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Why not 1 phase with 1 circuit on it per column?? Ok it will not be perfectly balanced, but it will be close enough. Bear in mind each house in a hoseing estate is on a different phase so it is not perfectly balanced either.

This would mean 1 cable per column with 4 lights per circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Closest you'll get is six, five and five, mathematically.

This will mean running a three phase supply to each column, however.

Personally, as said, I'd run 2x6sq ayy (aka "public lighting cable") to each column and live with the minor inbalance, assuming you're going with 400w MHs, it's less than 2kW of an imbalance, so not huge.

How come a fused cutout in the base of each column is a non starter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

Yea had thought of that but your looking at 4kw per column prob gonna need 4-6sq to feed each column. Total load per column would be nearly 18A. Should i really be fusing each light at 10A seperatly ? Although id imagine the control gear has its own fuse per light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

Sorry, R M it would be a non runner if i had 4No swa to each column. My plan was to go with one cable to each column but is was wondering is it ok to have one fused cutout for the four lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

this website http://www.lighting4sport.com/installation.asp shows the power distributed up from a panel at bottom of column.you might be able to source a smaller version .i assume this is the way the pro systems are done.alternatively i guess the single phase PL cable backed by 25amp c-type .cut-out would just be an isolator in effect due to 4kw loading .lights would need fusing seperately as you say(to prevent blackout) or damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Definitely require a seperate cutout for each light, though not necessarily in the column.
    I've usually seen a large metal enclosure close to each column containing cutouts terminals etc. IIRC each of these enclosures requires its own earth rod.
    An idea might be to contact the groundskeeper at your nearest rugby/football club that has floodlighting to see what they have.
    I would stay away from one phase per pole as loss of any one phase will leave that corner or corners of the pitch in darkness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

a panel if fitted would be attached to base of column for wiring flexibility and maybe contain control gear as well.if using a 'standard column' for a simple setup i'm not convinced on 3-phase option.will 3-phase-cutout fit ? and cable still needs to be connected to 3-phase mcb which is liable to shut down all 4 lights.i'm not sure anyway

Advertisement