Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what insurance cover do i need

Options
  • 03-04-2009 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

i am setting up a new buissness with my friend and it involves going on to construction sites and i was told to get ins cover but whitch one public liability is if member of the public claims against me which they couldnt because i work only in side and it isnt my site and thought that main contractor would be resposable for that .the main contractor is worried if i claimed against him i suppose.but ive been told you cant get employers liability without getting public liability witch is double the price approx 1,600

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You may also need professional indemnity insurance of some sort, depending on what exactly you are doing in your job. Your best bet is to get in touch with an insurance broker, they will be able to advise what cover is necessary and give you prices etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'm assuming that you are doing a 'manual' activity on site as opposed to an architect, surveyor etc. You need your own Public Liability insurance to protect you if you are sued by any injured party (either a member of the public or fellow workers belonging to the main contractor) from something you may do on site. The law will follow the person responsible for the action. The main contractor can only give himself protection form being sued if he has declared you as an uninsured sub-contractor to his own insurance company and paid the appropriate premium. This is something main contractors are less and less likely to do in the current climate. Either way you could be jointly sued and your own policy will cover your costs

As for him worrying about you suing him, you have this right with or without your own policy being in place. If he or other contractors he brings on site, cause you harm, you have a right of action against him.

Bottom line is you need your own Public Liability policy and you can only take out Employers Liability cover if you have employees. If you are in partnership, you can't. A good Personal Accident policy is what you both need as well, to cover your loss of income if you cannot work following an accident, regardless of blame.

A good broker will advise you of the correct requirements. Very few would not suggest the correct cover.

Advertisement