Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy comes INSIDE to pee & poo!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh just to add, dont use training pads or paper either, this only confuses the pup more, he doesnt know he is meant to go on these, unless you have trained him to do so, again, he doesnt automatically know that hes meant to use these.
    If you want him to go outside only then dont put down training pads.

This pup is only 4 months old, still a tiny baby, give him a chance, some dogs take longer than others, and males take longer to train than females too sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

hadook wrote: »
    This is very simply accomplished by taking the dog outside after every single meal and at regular intervals and praising the dog when he pees or poos.

This is exactly all you need to do to train a dog. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

misssaucie wrote: »
    Oh to be like you and know it all!!! It must be amazing to be so perfect you see in the real world people sometimes have to leave a room downstairs to maybe pop upstairs and thus puppy could decide to use his flap to come inside...do you honestly think I sit at the kitchen table and WATCH him soil the carpet!!! Duh!!! All I wanted was some advice on how to train a young puppy, not a lecture on how I should monitor the pup 24 7. And how rude to ask KeeM if he/she has children. This is an Animal/Pet forum. Get over yourself.

Jeez, what crawled up your nose? You asked for a bit of advice and I politely (imo) replied to you, as did many others....not that you've bothered to acknowledge the fact that people have taken the time to try to help you.

I am less than impressed at KeeM's disrespect to other posters here (not yours, til now) and his/her complete lack of interest in even remotely considering that his/her method of toilet training is flawed, and that advice from knowledgeable posters is only worth ignoring and mocking.
    Please do feel free to educate me further as to how it's rude to ask someone if they have children or know of anyone with children. I didn't ask for his/her postal address and inside leg measurement. And even if I did, what business is it of yours?

In answer to your question- no, I do not honestly think you sit at the kitchen table and watch 'puppy' (have you not named him??) soil the carpet, but the wording in your opening post suggests that you might have closely monitored his little footsteps to the scene of the crime.
    misssaucie wrote: »
    Oh to be like you and know it all!!! It must be amazing to be so perfect
    Oh it gets a little boring after a while...:D

By the way, excellent post Bluefrog! icon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

What we done to our dog,and still do the odd time is when to find the pee bring the dog over and say no/bold dog.Ours know because he sulks around with his ears down.

He will cry and jump at the door to get out now,only pees inside when he is feeling lazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

Hi misssaucie ,

Woaw .... this thread seems to have gotten a little bit too heated... didnt it start with opinions and advice from posters with previous history and experience on the toilet training of their own personal pets?

Anyway I just wanted to give u (misssaucie) some advice from my last 3/4 months of hell :D
    I got a female bichon puppy as a long awaited pressie from my other half, she is an absolute dote and I love her to bits, she is very loyal but when it came to toilet training her - I was fit to kill her ! :mad:
    She came to us at 7 weeks old, Bichon's are toy breeds who should not be taken from the litter until around 12 wks of age. Unfortunately this information did not come to me until I read my Bichon book.
    This played a part in trying to house train her since she was so young.
    I bought the puppy training pads and in my experience they have not worked. They have also not worked in 4 of my friends houses who breed dogs. Maybe other fellow posters have had success with them but unfortunatly they were not welcomed in our house. I found that using newspaper worked extremely well with my bichon. She got the idea within 2/3 days. When we would see her sniffing or circling we would pick her up and take her to the newspaper and say 'go toilet' and would also do the same if we had caught her 'mid-stream'.
    After some time we began to minimise the amount of newspaper she had and we also began to take her outside every 2/3 hours. She normally goes toilet 10 mins after eating so we have her in that routine too. And everytime we took her outside we would say simply 'go toilet'. We now have 3 dogs in our household ; male & female bichon and female rottweiler. When they are playin u just have to get their attention and say 'go toilet' and they will all go about their seperate paths and go toilet and then continue playin after receiving praise.
    I was advised by a vet that female bichons are more hard to train than males. It is normally the opposite way with majority of breeds. The vet also said that puppies have stages in where they can be going absolutly fantastic wit their training in everything (tricks, toilet, obedience) and then they will go through a stage of acting as if they have never been trained and you will have to go back to the basics of reminding them of the rules and boundaries. The vet called this stage the 'rebellion stage' where the pup may decide that they are not goin to bother listening to you. My female bichon is in that stage at the minute (it may sound like crap but i believe it...my floors provide the proof!) I have invested so much in domestos in the last few months.
    I hope my experience can help u in any way. A bit of advice, for spot cleaning accidents on tiled or timber flooring u could pick up the domestos spray...it is fantastic and so handy to spot spray the floor.
    Dont get my wrong the newspaper did work fantastic when she understood it and yes maybe it was a bit confusing when we took the newspaper away completly but we introduced going outside with newspapers before we took it away so we just brought her outside more so. There were an awful lot of accidents between going on the floor to going on the newspaper. All i can say is have patience, I do not posess the best temper but it is worth it to keep calm especially when ur pet goes toilet outside and then gets praised :D so sorry for the essay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I can't remember where I read it, but I did hear or read once (perhaps on this forum) that if you come into a room and the dog has gone toilet, there is no point in giving out to the dog as he/she has no idea why, but if you give out to the mess it works better :D have never done it myself but wouldn't it be funny to walk in on your OH giving out to a pile of poo. LOL

OP, can I ask why crate training is not an option for you? Most people who use it find it works wonders and the dogs like their little bit of space too.

Advertisement