Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy sits on toilet for everything

Options
  • 03-04-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

I have a 4 year old who toilet trained very well but had always insisted on sitting on the toilet for all functions. It's not that he has not had instruction from me (Dad) or that he cannot stand (he's done it a few times when needed, ie outdoors).

He starts school in September and I'd like to get this resolved before then. I obviously don't want to embarass him using the 'all the boys will think you're a girl' approach and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. We've tried the carrot approach promising a reward when he does it properly but he's adamant he won't stand until he's older.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

In my opinion you should let him do what he wants. When I was in primary school there were no communal toilets, so he won't have to deal with having other little boys ask him why he pee's sitting down.

A lot of little boys pee sitting down, my cousins all done it. Don't see a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

At 4 he still wouldn't be very tall? I remember my son at that age having to kind of throw himself up over the rim of the loo if we were out and about and there was no step :pac:

I wouldn't worry about it, if he is comfortable doing it his way then, personally, I would be inclined to let him continue. He will eventually see other boys/men standing up and do that himself:)

At my sons school they don't have urinals (not for the younger kids anyway) so if you wanted to check this out with the school it might ease your mind. If there is no urinals then all the boys will have to use a toilet and nobody will know whether he sits or stands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

In Sweden women have been campaigning for men to sit down to wee because of the side effects of poor aiming. Who knows, maybe your little guy is on route to being the dream man for a scandinavian babe?

Jokes aside, no big issue on that one. There is nothing more manly in doing it standing up. For the others, how are they to guess if he is doing a #1 or #2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mumof2maybe3

My eldest also does this, he has now turned 5 and still does. I have asked him a few times does he not want to stand like dad but he says no just incase he needs a poo too, there is no answer to that so I dont ask him about it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Not sure if he should really have to stand if he doesn't want to...

My wee man started by standing so we put a painted cork in the toilet to improve the aim & make it a bit more fun...maybe something like that would work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

I guess it's not something to be too worried about. Thanks for all the comments. I'll let him be and see what happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

both my boys sat down to pee when they were little. by the time they got to 5,6,7 they were standing to go, no problem. i think its partly to do with the fact that they arent really tall enough at 4 or 5 to pee comfortably standing iykwim. anyway as another poster said , the toilets are individual cubicles in school so no one will see him anyway. hth

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

My 8 year old still sits down to pee and it suits me fine as it keeps the bathroom clean. I'm not fussed about it and he gets no stick about it from his friends at school or at home because they don't know about it. He'll get around to standing up when he's ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

he'll start doing it when he sees other boys standing to wee in school

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭goosie2005

yeah wouldnt worry about it...much less cleaning up anyway. :)found that putting few cheerios in the loo to help aim a good trick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement