Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes stores disabled parking

Options
  • 03-04-2009 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what is the story with the disabled parking spaces in dunnes car par in cranmore be used by able bodied drivers . I inquiried in the store during the week and was told by a girl on the till that "what can we do ,the minks just park where ever they want!":mad: surely a clamping system would help to prevent this problem...i wouldnt mind but the car park is free of charge ,these people sickin me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

They're just too lazy to walk the distance. Clamping won't free the spaces immediately - I say they should be towed and a big release fine smacked on them. They'll feel a lot better about having to walk with their shopping to the other end of the very small carpark if it means they'll have a car to walk to!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

As it's on private property, the same laws don't apply to the spaces and they also wouldn't be allowed to detain any vehicle if they towed it away. That would also mean they'd have to enter a contract with a parking and tow company.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Richard571

I think it's disgusting - challeneged a 30ish year old woman in perfect health and she said she had a badge for her father so it was ok and besides there was another free space!! Despite the fact there where regular free spots not 10 metres away......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think there must be a special place in hell for people who use disabled parking spaces without needing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

If someone has a disabled badge,they should park behind them and block them in.They might think twice about it next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

its also a non stop problem in wine st car park , but the traffic wardens just seem to have a chat with the owners rather than writing a ticket on the spot. if they showed as much interest in doing their job as watchin football in the belfry on saturday while on duty the tax payers of sligo might be better served!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Thats something I hate seeing, someone parking in the disabled space when there is nothing wrong with them. I know a few people that have the disabled sticker in their car, nothing wrong with them but they still use the disabled spaces. Then some person who actually needs a close spot just can't get one. It's a disgrace I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rio-rose

saying that also for the spaces allocated to parent parking spaces in dunnes too..

several times i go their with the 2 kids on my own and saving having to litterly drag one and carry the other from the multy story carpark to get the trolley with the baby seat on it at the front door..

it totally sickens me:mad: seeing young/and not so young but able bodied pulling into the spots and walking into the store without even any knowledge of what their at..

anyone reading this who has done it to either disabled or parent spaces
    please think of others who really need the spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Theres an easy solution to this problem. Put all the handicapped spots at the back of the car park. The knowbody wil park in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Theres an easy solution to this problem. Put all the handicapped spots at the back of the car park. The knowbody wil park in them.

Covered yourself in glory there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Yeah they are in wheel chairs anyway, so it's not like they have to walk!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Spot on my friend

I figure you're joking.

But just in case, there are plenty of people with disabilities who are not in wheel chairs. Some have canes. Some people with breathing disabilities (such as COPD, emphysema) don't have canes at all because it's not a problem with their legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Xiney wrote: »
    I figure you're joking.

But just in case, there are plenty of people with disabilities who are not in wheel chairs. Some have canes. Some people with breathing disabilities (such as COPD, emphysema) don't have canes at all because it's not a problem with their legs.

I was! and mates girl friend looks good but has disabled parking permit, she has crohns disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lunasa_lady

Minks?????? Absolute disgrace that the staff of Dunnes stores are referring to anyone in this way!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

bonzos wrote: »
    Just wondering what is the story with the disabled parking spaces in dunnes car par in cranmore be used by able bodied drivers . I inquiried in the store during the week and was told by a girl on the till that "what can we do ,the minks just park where ever they want!":mad: surely a clamping system would help to prevent this problem...i wouldnt mind but the car park is free of charge ,these people sickin me!

a what?

take it its not a nice term

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

irish-stew wrote: »
    a what?

take it its not a nice term

"Mink" is used as a derogatory term for itinerants by some Sligo people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

I was! and mates girl friend looks good but has disabled parking permit, she has crohns disease.

How does having crohns disease permit her to a disability badge... :confused: How does that qualify her for disability parking...

As for parent and child, well there fair game,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

How does having crohns disease permit her to a disability badge... :confused: How does that qualify her for disability parking...

As for parent and child, well there fair game,

Because she is in constant pain, not sure how much you know about Crohn's Disease?

I'll just ignore your comment about the parent and child and spelling. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you should do your homework before making comments like that

• Advertisement

Minks?????? Absolute disgrace that the staff of Dunnes stores are referring to anyone in this way!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    your right it is an absolute disgrace !!!!!!!im sure these people treat the staff of dunnes (and public in general) with total respect,we need more people like you to stand up for these people and defend their right to break the law . sure what harm if some person who is disabled can not access the parking space provided for them.....:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

your right it is an absolute disgrace !!!!!!!im sure these people treat the staff of dunnes (and public in general) with total respect,we need more people like you to stand up for these people and defend their right to break the law . sure what harm if some person who is disabled can not access the parking space provided for them.....:confused:
    :confused::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

sure what harm if some person who is disabled can not access the parking space provided for them.....:confused:

What do you mean what harm? That's an awful thing to say,these people are disabled after all and there are certain places designated for them.It's a joke that they can't access a spot reserved for them. How would you feel if you had very limited mobility and needed a wheelchair and you arrived in Dunnes Stores just to find that the disable space was been used by a non-disabled person. You now have to drive to the end of the car park to find a space which isn't even wide enough to get a wheelchair down the side of the car.

As bonzos is the OP, I assume he was being sarcastic.

Oops,yes I'd forgotten that.

Unless he had a change of heart though but I guess your right Xiney, my bad:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

People who park in disabled spots without the permit can be fined by the Gardai :cool: I have seen it happen. And the parker in question was a staff member of the establishment :D

I've recently learned that a disabled parking place isn't officially a disabled space until the blue and white plaque I think it is has been placed on the bollard in front of the space.
    We were commenting on the disabled spaces up in the retail park and then Fozzle said they were not officially disabled parking spaces because they hadn't the plaque drilled onto the bollard:eek:

A disabled man came into the shop complaining that there were no disabled parking spaces,I said it to the store manager but as it is not our Carpark there s nothing we could do except forward the complain to the security company of the retail park and the management company of the retail park.
    Still though it's a disgrace that there were no disabled spaces. I've said it to countless people while outside and if I see they are not disabled I go over to them and tell them these spaces are designated for disabled people...so many people have said to me that they would only be five minutes:mad: The cheek of them:mad:

Xiney wrote: »
    As bonzos is the OP, I assume he was being sarcastic.
    correct!!!it is still no surprise to me that their are still people who find an angle to defend these people"minks" . it would be interesting to find out how many of these people have got parking ticket or fines over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I've said it to countless people while outside and if I see they are not disabled I go over to them and tell them these spaces are designated for disabled people

But in fairness bobcar, a lot of disabled people do not 'look' disabled. My sister has has the badge and she doesn't 'look' disabled but unfortunately she is...................so be careful, you could get an earful!!
    And as a previous poster said, someone they know with Crohns disease has a disabled badge.........I never seen a person with Crohns 'looking' disabled ;)

• Advertisement

But in fairness bobcar, a lot of disabled people do not 'look' disabled. My sister has has the badge and she doesn't 'look' disabled but unfortunately she is...................so be careful, you could get an earful!!
    And as a previous poster said, someone they know with Crohns disease has a disabled badge.........I never seen a person with Crohns 'looking' disabled ;)

I'm not judging on the fact whether they look disabled or not. Simply the fact if they have a disabled parking permit thing. If they don't have one of those permits,then they have no right to park in the space.

Advertisement