Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Cheek Conure

Options
  • 03-04-2009 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I've been researching and thinking about getting a small parrot for a while now. I have some experience, having had budgies, cockatiels and lovebirds when I was younger, and another budgie a few years back.

My dog is bird friendly, having been brought up with my budgie so no issues there.

I eventually decided to go for a conure/caique. The latter I was told is impossible to get in Ireland from a pet store who was trying to help me find breeders. I have been having a lot of trouble locating a conure as well though. I have found a few but am not satisfied.

Ideally I'd love a Green cheek Conure, or a maroon bellied, or a crimson bellied. I've tried all local pet shops, tried to track down ads for breeders on places like the buy and sell and adverts.ie etc... all to no avail..

Does anyone have any ideas on who could be breeding conures here? Any ideas on where I could have a better chance of finding this info? I'm based in Limerick but am willing to travel anywhere in Ireland, including the north for one if it's a good breeder. I'm talking paperwork, hand raised, cuddly tame :) I'm happy to wait until another set of babies hatch if necessary, so not looking for a current baby but a good breeder instead.

If anyone can help please post a reply or PM me. I'd be very grateful!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

There are plenty of caiques available in this country. And all types of conures too if you look in the right places... and at the right time of year! There won't (edit: shouldn't) really be any baby parrots for sale for another month or so.
    Besides, a lot of petshops/ sellers bring birds from Belgium, which has a very big bird breeding industry.
    Just give it a month or so. Have you ever lived with a conure before? They are unbearably loud. They scream so much, that I suspect you would not be able to live with it, unless you have had good experience with conures before. I had a blue headed conure in the past. How bout something smaller like a sun conure? I don't think they are too bad, compared with other conures.
    On the dog front, I'm afraid there is no dog that is bird friendly. They can at have a go at any time. I have seen my dog take a snap at a parrot of mine before when they got too close... and I have him over 12 years and he wouldn't hurt a fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Thanks for the reply.

I am happy to wait, would be nice to see them grow through photos and maybe go visit during the time to bond as well.

You say when you look in the right places? Could you PM me a list of these right places? :) I am having difficulty finding a good breeder here..
    Most of your "typical" conures, such as suns, peach fronts, and cherry heads, belong to the genus Aratinga. But those aren't the only conures! The second-largest conure genus is Pyrrhura, and that's where green cheeks are placed. Pyrrhurras are smaller than most Aratingas, and typically have wide eyerings and scalloped chest feathers. The green cheek is the most common of the Pyrrhurras in captivity, and is Pyrrhura molinae.
    as taken from HERE

Sun conures are bigger than green cheeks actually as above, and by all accounts of many people i know who have them and green cheeks, the sun's are generally louder, though obviously it depends on personality. My budgie used to screech the house down and I have met a lot of screeching larger parrrots, noise is not a problem. ;)

My dog is always supervised when around birds, and any other dogs, people he doesnt know well too for that matter of fact. So there would not be any issues, when we are out my budgie was always in his cage as the conure will be.

Fair play for doing your homework!!! I live in a long bungalow. The conure was at one end and the bedrooms were at the other. The conure would still wake you from your sleep every morning. The noise of her would actually hurt your brain if she was to screech and u were in the same room! :rolleyes:

I always think of suns as small because my blue head was so much bigger in comparison. There isn't really much difference in size between a Sun and say a green cheeked.

Can the people you know that have conures not point you in the direction of a good breeder?

I have been thinking of one for a few months now.

Actually I joined a board and have been reading up, asking questions on conures for that length of time. Unfortunately, people on the board that have them and advise me, are all located in either the US, or Canada mainly, with some randomly in any country. Couldn't find anyone from Ireland or anyone who knew a good breeder here. So here I am trying to find something on the net or through pet shops. I am not willing to buy from a petshop, but thought they can put me towards a breeder independently :o

Sorry to hear of the noise you experienced with your blue headed conure. For the majority of time, when we are home, our baby when we get him, will be out of his cage playing. Hopefully then he'll be sooo tired he may not make as much noise while we are out ;) If he does though, not a problem.

If you do have a list or even one good breeder of a green cheek conure, I'd appreciate the contact info. Alternatively, I can PM you my own contact info and pass it along to a breeder? I'm very happy to do that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭philog

i have a sun conure and an african grey ...that little conure is an absolute beauty...but by god can she screech if things are not going her way ...ring richie o brien in portlaoise ..if any one can get you one he will ..at a way cheaper price than any pet shop...086-3536197....theres one for sale in pet mania in carlow ...850 euro...crazy price...450 tops is enough for a hand reared conure....good luck in finding one...if you cant find one ..ring me on 085-7484599...i have more nos for breeders

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Just be wary of where birds come from cheaper could mean cheaper for a reason eg behaviour problems, think that was already covered in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

You should try Copsewood Aviary in Kilmacanogue, Co Wicklow (on the N11 after Bray). Tel: 01 286 2087. My friend had gotten her hand reared caique from there. She was too originally interested in a conure, but he said that they are really more of an aviary bird as very few people can put up with the intense screams they can do.

Don't get me wrong, her little guy still screams whenever she's on the phone, or in the morning to be let out (though he has figured out how to open the lock on his cage :rolleyes: ) You should give your man a ring, he'll be able to let you know the dates when he can expect the birds in.

I have since gotten my new baby :D I've called her Jess. She is not DNA sexed so cannot be sure she's a SHE but we're going on what we randomly think :D

She was 12 weeks when I got her 14 weeks now. She can be noisy at times, but overall is very quiet. My parents even commented on how quiet she is in comparison to the cockatiels and budgies we've had previously. She beeps gently from time to time, and occasionally calls out but very little :pac:

She loves to be out and snuggle up on our shoulders and likes to fly about and nibble everything. The poor laptop buttons are having a bad time of it :P

Thanks for all the suggestions to all who posted :)

A few pics...

Investigating

6DBF24548DD94996AAD907EA60184463-500.jpg

With my GSD Jake (who is drooling at the apple i have for him, not at jess by the way :D )

4C8493F267504FA98F0B1097E80D99E7-500.jpg

Snuggle monster

4A624AB6819049B08BFAC86FB5EEBCFC-500.jpg

and her playlist on youtube... including video with jake cuddle videos and general videos :D

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=52C943AAB563142B

Well done and lovely bird but to be honest I have to tell you I consider it totally irresponsible to allow your dog (regardless of breed) so close to the bird, on the ground.
    I have an 18 year old dog (had him since he was about 6) that has never come close to misbehaving in his life until a few months ago. I was caught off guard when I was holding my bird.... He snapped for the bird, but missed and luckily bit me by mistake. Just goes to show that you don't know what is going on inside your dog's mind at all times, despite how much you think you know your own animal.
    I mean this as sound advice, it is not meant purely to critisise. I have already told you this so I really hope you take the advice this time round!

On the noise front... Just wait a month or two! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Wolfsberg wrote: »

On the noise front... Just wait a month or two! ;)
    I'm in agreement here, I had a patagonian conure years back and the bird could scream the house down when he wanted to.
    He/She is a beautiful bird OP, and congratulations. Just bear in mind tho, when the bird is sitting on your shoulder, he/she is in the dominant position and will feel that he/she can do what they want to. You're sending the message that the bird is king of the flock. I'd be more inclined to keep the bird at a lower height for the moment anyway because it will cause problems later.
    Not criticism, just some friendly advice.
    I'm jealous !!

Thanks for the advice guys, Jake is 100% obedient and does as I tell him around Jess, if I had any doubts I wouldn;t have them out together., They are watched and supervised all the time and for the most part Jake runs from Jess :o My only other option would be to crate Jake or cage Jess neither of which is fair when we are sitting down enjoying a movie or around in the evenings.

Sorry to hear of your own experience.

I allow Jess on my shoulder when I invite her, if I don;t want her there I remove her, making it my own decision not hers. If she nips or refuses to come she is given a time out in her cage.

I hope you're not right about the noise level increasing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Lovely bird and pooch. Can imagine the birdy will get more noisey we've had our tiel for a few years now and he seems to get more and more loud as time goes by or perhaps he just seems louder first thing in the morning lol.

Bairbre O'Malley vets in Bray can have the bird DNA sexed even if it's just for curiosties sake. Some people pick a name that is suitable for a boy or girl mind you the bird doesn't mind at all.

Any updates on Jess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pijamkata

Would anyone be able to give me info for a breeder in Ireland of White Bellied Caiques? I am looking to get one, sexed, ringed, etc. We have had one... :(

Advertisement