Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fly fishing, learner.HELP!!!!plz

Options
  • 03-04-2009 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

just wondering would any 1 have advice on for a learner, fly types, wet dry,any thing would be much helped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Im also interested in what flies would be good for this time of the year.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Depends on the water and the weather but i cought a few on a little dayglo buzzer a couple of weeks ago when i was just fluting about at a lake checking my gear out, im sure there is a good hatch on with the sunny weather the last while??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sickofcats

OP I would advise finding a "stocked Fishery" one thats near you if you have transport and have a day of " stockie bashing " . Usually if you need any help with casting, the owner or a regular can help you out. (also enquire about catch and release there, no point in arriving and catching your quota in 2 hrs and having to pack up when you reach your ticket limit)

Failing that option not been available to you, Get yourself into a big garden and practise your casting there with a bit of wool or cotton tied to the end of the leader.

There's no point in heading out with a box of flies if you cannot cast ...

Keep an eye out for " Nick Hancock's Fishing School " on Sky TV (Its bound to repeated if not currently been re- run or look for it on you tube)
    Its was geared towards newbies and explains alot about flies casting etc.

Fly's this time of year would be, Pheasant tail nymphs, Hare's ear. March Brown.....

Hope this helps

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

sickofcats wrote: »
    Get yourself into a big garden and practise your casting there with a bit of wool or cotton tied to the end of the leader.
    There's no point in heading out with a box of flies if you cannot cast ...

That's probably the best bit of advice you can get. I'm twenty years at it and still learning..........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've found this site a great help with casting: http://www.sexyloops.com/contentspage.shtml

There's a beginners guide and a manual. Not as good as proper lessons would be, but there's lots of useful tips and details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

As everyone else said learn to cast first. You wouldn't go to a golf course if you couldn't swing properly.
    As far as flies go, hares ear nymphs are a good generic pattern. As for dry flies i'd go for cdc & elk, Elk hair caddis or shipman buzzers.

Advertisement