Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lads, what stresses you most?

• 03-04-2009 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what really stresses other guys out? I have a good job, I love the work I do but at times I just feel like I can't cope with the workload or more accurately, the deadline associated with the workload :)

This can have an adverse effect on my life, including most obviously, quality of life from working late but also exhaustion from the long hours and combined lack of sleep with worry. At these times this is compounded by the fact that I usually don't eat well because I end up missing meals or grabbing takeouts or cooking pizzas for myself.

So obviously, having all these stress hormones floating around and sleeping poorly and eating rubbish could have along term impact on my overall mental health but also heart health.

What about you? Is work your stress? Is it relationships? Or a perceived lack of success?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I think Im pretty good at handling work stress. If im given a big project to do with 1 week to do it in, Ill get the majority of it done in a couple of days and then space out whats left. I can generally cope with doing long hours, but if it was long hours everyday, id pack it in.
    Im fine with relationships too, im not one to start a conflict without reason and I know how to deal with most people.

Its odd but the one thing that really stresses me out is the monotony of work. Doesn't matter if a job is good/bad, after 5 months of doing the same thing day in, day out my mind starts to disintegrate. Its happened to me with most jobs ive worked, where I get 5/6 months and I feel like I have to quit or ill end up throwing myself off something tall. Its not just the work itself that does it, its the routine of doing a 9-5, 5 days a week that really gets me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah my work stress is generally more to do with the fact that I rely on clients to give me materials to work with and the deadline is immovable so I may have to have job done by April 8 but the Medical Department may not give me the information I need to even start the job until 2 days before. Sometimes they are stressing themselves because they haven't got the information either but that's their problem...until it becomes mine :D

I've managed some huge multi-million pound projects with very little stress thanks to good clients and resources, despite the tight deadline. The stress comes when it's out of my hands :)

Monotony does get me too. I much prefer working on multiple different projects at one time. I hate it when I have one large, long project to work on. Boredom kicks in!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

With me it's the little things that stress me. I seem to be wired backwards. I've gone through stuff that other have told me should have me wound up like a cheap watch, but I'm fine. But if I miss a traffic light, the veins pop out. Mad.:)

Work sometimes gets to me but rarely. I work on the principle that in my final minutes in this life, I will certainly not be thinking "hmmm I should have done more overtime". Once I have enough money to be going on with, a roof over my head and friends and a general social network, I'm set, pretty much.

I have relatives that would be very wealthy. They have a talent for it and it is a talent. The need for it seems to have skipped a generation,(and the having of it:)) but I know how to get money, it's easier than most think, but I'm not interested particularly, as I see what the wholesale pursuit of it entails and how it affects people. And if you want a lot of it, you need to be obsessive about it IMHO. I reckoned early on that one can always earn more money, but one can never earn more time. Each day is very precious, more precious than gold, but it's free while you have it, so spend it like crazy. Put it this way, a 90 year old billionaire would give it all away to be 20, or 30, or 40 or even 50 again. Puts value in perspective, for me at least.

I would say my biggest stresses in the past have all been relationship based. Whether that be family, friends or lovers, even pets I have to say. I've lost someone from each of those categories, to death, or they just got tired of me:). That was hard. then again, looking back, I would not trade the pain of losing them and lose the joy of having them, for whatever time it lasted.

The other stresses would be some regret, but not so much over life direction, more how I handled situations with people. That stress fades to memory though and so long as it's a lesson learned, I figure the balance sheet is still ok.

I suppose how I handle the daily stresses, is by stopping and reminding myself that this will pass and that in the last seconds of my life I would be happy to live another day, even if it was stressed. That takes the sting out. For me at least. Though as I say I may be wired arseways:D

Great topic BTW as so many guys are afraid or at least reticent to admit the pressure they sometimes feel. I know I used to and still do at times, or laugh it off.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

The future in relation to my career. I'm a recent graduate so hanging on to my current job and the thought of having to find another one given the situation is a bit stressful.

The fact my dream job I've wanted for donkeys years has been put on hold until at least 2011 by the sounds of things.

That said these things don't stress me out a huge amount as I generally deal with pressure well and things can always be put into perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I've actually become very relaxed with work and such in the last while. I mean little seems to phase me in that regard.

personal life tho...heh, I won't even start!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yeah, job related stress is really the only stress that effects me.

In my current job, I tend to be thrown into the deep end too often, with little or no support, plus plenty of snide comments if it doesn't go the way it should. That really gets me going.

However, I have come to the conclusion that a little stress is indeed a good thing. I went from an overly stressful job that was simply destroying my soul and my personal life, to a job that involved no stress whatsoever (Public Sector, say no more :)). I actually found myself longing for some sort of challenge, something that would tax me, and dare I say it, stress me somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Exams, ****ing exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

The love life in general would be up there quite high. Probably the most major source in my 23 years. Well between the ages of 11 and 23 anyway.

Relationships with friends/family can be stressful too.

Money - really noticed this the last year after leaving job to go to college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Stress: I enjoy work stress. Love working under pressure, Love handleing obscene amounts of money I will never see. Love Selling. Love interacting with people. Have always loved working.

I worked in a job once and my boss was a baxtard. a complete and utter baxtard. He created stress in my life, He roured and shouted and screamed. The crazy thing is I was let go at christmas in a job I was in and he phoned me a week later and asked me back. I was too stressed there so I cannot go back

Home life stresses me cause I am out of work

Press doors falling off and peeling cause the kitchen supplier was a [EMAIL="a@@hole"]a@@hole[/EMAIL]

Tiles on the bathroom floor cracking cause the floor is moving. Timber frame house

Semi solid floor that cost 2k looks like the creaters on the moon,

Boiler needs a service

Broke the oven door of the Belling 1000 euro oven. No parts available

Neeed to finish the ensuite

Need to cut the grass with the sh1t lawnmore that cost me 200 euro and I did not want

You get the jist I am mad!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

A mixture of lack of success with girls and lack of close friends have a pretty big impact on me.

Watching my number of close friends halved in the space of a few months has taken a pretty big toll on me and the last relationship, well that's floored me.

So in conclusion, I'd put most of my stress down to isolation and at times, peoples lack of understanding towards me, call that emo but there ya go =/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Last year I got really stressed and a bit depressed over university/exams but thankfully I got through them and managed to keep on top of university work a lot better this year. Recently sat my exams for this year. It wasn't nearly as stressful this year and I haven't got the results yet but I think/hope I have done ok.

I can get really stressed when driving or if someone gets in my way when I'm walking somewhere. I can only describe it as sheer rage on some occasions and I totally can't explain it because I don't get that worked up over any other similarly small issue.

Overall, I think I have become a bit more easy going in the last year. I used to worry about things I couldn't change/had no control over; but I don't anymore. I try to see the funny side to everything; where as before I was a bit more serious when it came to certain things. I am perfect but everyone else is not :P; I have learned to tolerate people more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Seems to be a common theme of work/study. Study stresses me out most, but also social situations. I also put too much weight on my own shoulders - Like, I try too hard to please/be nice to everyone.

By the way, whoever thought of created this forum, well done - Great idea.

Kevin

Advertisement