Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy good quality tofu in Dublin?

Options
  • 03-04-2009 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭

I was in china recently and had many tofu dishes and I really got a taste for it.
    So where to get good quality tofu in Dublin, any recommendations?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

You can buy the box and make your own if that interests you. My friend used do it and said it was well nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

pierrot wrote: »
    You can buy the box and make your own if that interests you. My friend used do it and said it was well nice.

Do this, you won't get tasty and good quality tofu here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

pierrot wrote: »

Never even thought of that, just been researching on-line and it looks pretty straightforward so that's exactly what I'm going to do.
    Now to find a good source for organic soybeans.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Also, check with the lads in the vegetarian forum. They might be able to make a good recommendation.

Supercell wrote: »
    Never even thought of that, just been researching on-line and it looks pretty straightforward so that's exactly what I'm going to do.
    Now to find a good source for organic soybeans.

Health food shops or health food section of the supermarket.
    and organic:confused:

tofu is just a big sponge that soaks up flavours, paying extra for organic produce will do you no favours. Think of where it comes from, the oriental use cheap cheap cheap ingredients, and use them well to create the awsome taste. Do you think they go out and buy organic produce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Keith, good tofu most definitely has its own taste and texture. You will find that the Chinese are extremely fussy about quality and ingredients for it..trust me on that!
    Its is true to say that most store sold stuff here (I've yet to get nice tofu here) is nothing but a tasteless sponge (probably packed with preservatives to boot) though.
    The organic thing is just a lifestyle choice.

Don't worry, i trust you. of course it has its own taste and texture, no matter what when eating tofu, unless you eat chunks on its own, it will be diguised in some form with other tastes so my point is why buy organic beans? There are plenty of quality beans out there, if you look/research without having to spend extra on organic.
    quality, when cooking oriental food is paramount, doesn't mean they spend anymore money just choose wisely, which is why i said cheap, i never said they use tasteless, poor quality produce.
    We'll NEVER agree on organic produce, so we won't go into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

The Wife is veggie and a major tofu person

She gets Some in Some of the Dunnes Stores around Dublin usually in the veg Section, But mostly in the Chinese Shops in Dublin,
    one behind the georges street arcade. One in rathmines on Rathmines road opposite Dominos. Shes get lots of different types there Soft and Firm Tofu.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

The Chinese shops around town would be the best place to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mellowfi

I've been eating tofu for years. I like the tofu from the asian food market thats in Rathmines village (just beside portobello bridge). They have fresh and smoked varieties of tofu, all in the fridges down the back. cheap too. once you open it make sure you put it in a lunch box or something in the water it comes packaged in and kept in the fridge. its only supposed to keep for a couple of days. goodluck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement