Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandwich Bar.

Options
  • 03-04-2009 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    A friend and I are thinking of setting up a city center sandwich bar (city to be decided) we're only in the discussion mode of it now, just trying to figure out what we should be thinking about. Do we need licences from An Bord Bia, and are there insurances etc that we need to factor in.

Any info is greatly appreciated, sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question, MODS move as necessary.

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you will need a licence from the HSE following an inspection of your premises and also public liability insurance which can be very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

More & more people are making their own sandwiches, and the market is now extremely competitive for once. The londis in sandyford is doing breaded chicken fillet baguettes for €1.77 all this week, and the same with wedges was only €2.50. Dunno how they can sell it this low, and many spars, centras etc are also doing very cheap deals like this. A breaded fillet on its own in tesco costs more than the €1.77.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

rubadub wrote: »
    Dunno how they can sell it this low

I don't even want to think about how they can sell chicken so cheaply, it must be really poor quality or it's "chopped and reshaped" mechanically recovered crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eth0_ wrote: »
    I don't even want to think about how they can sell chicken so cheaply, it must be really poor quality or it's "chopped and reshaped" mechanically recovered crap.
    Definitely looks like, and has the texture of normal chicken breast. I think they could be selling at a loss and trying to make it back with people also buying overpriced bars & drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

eth0_ wrote: »
    it looks like real chicken but it is the off-cuts that are moulded instead of being minced and shaped, like what is done with cheap hams. much poorer quality than real chicken and the original chicken would have come from china/thailand etc and would have had a very high water content.

• Advertisement
Advertisement