Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games Soc win Society of the Year!

Options
  • 03-04-2009 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Congrats to all the lads on a well-deserved win in the Society Awards last night. The win was based on the consistently high level of service that they deliver to their members, and helped by their great win in the intervarsities (and front page in The Metro).

Well done to all involved and best of luck at the National Society Awards!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

Just want to say that if I'd had a chance on the night to give a shoutout to anyone, it'd be Gigsoc, a lot of people aren't aware of how damn well they've done in a single year, Dave is damn good at marketing his society, they put on a fantastic Battle Of The Bands with some really good talent, and had constant lessons/jam sessions that brought a lot of budding artists out of the woodwork.
    Along the same lines, DJ Soc do some fantastic work and even if the Spinoff final was badly timed to coincide with the Socs awards, they are a standup bunch of lads and are worth their weight in gold for the people they've taught to spin, and the people they've given a creative outlet many people wouldn't even consider, they also put a friendly face on a profession/scene often associated with being hard to get into.

Just thought those two societies got overlooked on the night, congratulations to everybody else as well especially Breakdance because they do something I personally think is amazing and impossible and they're never out of the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

For the love of Jesus. The Games soc winning best society this year just shows how low the bar is when it comes to DIT societies.

Ass wrote: »
    For the love of Jesus. The Games soc winning best society this year just shows how low the bar is when it comes to DIT societies.

:boards:

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

Well yea i know me and all the other Committee members where shocked to say the least. As we where never expecting this . we are only a fairly small society 160+ members . And this is only our 2nd year, we have doubled our membership and increase sponsorship with some big name companies for the society.

We have had some great fun this year with , fifa , guitar hero , street fighter, etc tourments, attened launch events , held a 12 hour over night lan , successfull weekend trip to gamecon and midlan. Held some brilliantly fun social events. Volunteer work, with the committee gave up two hours a week to volunteer and help teach Introduction to Games Development course for secondary schools student.

Then to top it, gamesoc academic teams made up of members repersented DIT , at this year at games fleadh 2009. The robocode team place 5th , and the xna team won the 2009 Irish xna Games Programming competition and the Guitar Hero competition. The guys managed to get their picture on the cover of the metro for this, which i know made the society look really good.

Not a bad year with Gamesoc pick up 4 Awards this year: Best Society Dit Award, Best Kevin Street Soceity Award, 2009 Irish xna Games Programming Cup, Games Fleadh Nation Guitar Hero Trophy.

Gamesoc members and Teams also picked up countless medals and trophies at Irish lans inculde: (At the last Midlans) 2nd place Call of Duty 4 place medals, 2nd place Counter Strike Source medals, Guitar Hero 2 2nd place, 1st place Medal: Team Fortress.

So we would like to thank all our members who come to events , we dont always have the biggest numbers but we try to make sure all our members enjoy themself and have good time really. We some more events planned before the end of year which we will be information members about soon.

As for next year we hope to expand to a full overall society , increase membership again, hold even more events and finally get the inter-socs league going. Gamesoc are always looking for people to get involved with running the society and will be looking next committee members next september.

Thats it really , and yes it was one giant plug but meh i dont care :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Best Kevin Street Soceity Award

i'd say the competition was stiff for that award :pac:

gg all the same though.

• Advertisement

Well yea i know me and all the other Committee members where shocked to say the least. As we where never expecting this . we are only a fairly small society 160+ members . And this is only our 2nd year, we have doubled our membership and increase sponsorship with some big name companies for the society.

We have had some great fun this year with , fifa , guitar hero , street fighter, etc tourments, attened launch events , held a 12 hour over night lan , successfull weekend trip to gamecon and midlan. Held some brilliantly fun social events. Volunteer work, with the committee gave up two hours a week to volunteer and help teach Introduction to Games Development course for secondary schools student.

Then to top it, gamesoc academic teams made up of members repersented DIT , at this year at games fleadh 2009. The robocode team place 5th , and the xna team won the 2009 Irish xna Games Programming competition and the Guitar Hero competition. The guys managed to get their picture on the cover of the metro for this, which i know made the society look really good.

Not a bad year with Gamesoc pick up 4 Awards this year: Best Society Dit Award, Best Kevin Street Soceity Award, 2009 Irish xna Games Programming Cup, Games Fleadh Nation Guitar Hero Trophy.

Gamesoc members and Teams also picked up countless medals and trophies at Irish lans inculde: (At the last Midlans) 2nd place Call of Duty 4 place medals, 2nd place Counter Strike Source medals, Guitar Hero 2 2nd place, 1st place Medal: Team Fortress.

So we would like to thank all our members who come to events , we dont always have the biggest numbers but we try to make sure all our members enjoy themself and have good time really. We some more events planned before the end of year which we will be information members about soon.

As for next year we hope to expand to a full overall society , increase membership again, hold even more events and finally get the inter-socs league going. Gamesoc are always looking for people to get involved with running the society and will be looking next committee members next september.

Thats it really , and yes it was one giant plug but meh i dont care :) .

ah jaysus
    look at all those words

yep tl;dr.

yep tl;dr.

b9a80ca745519a4c706a1d7p.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Trance

Are they the long haired, bearded people that do be sitting on the rejects side of the Kevin Street canteen with all their laptops?

Oh....

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

Trance wrote: »
    Are they the long haired, bearded people that do be sitting on the rejects side of the Kevin Street canteen with all their laptops?

Oh....

You have just described 90% of the people in Kevin Street :pac:, but no we dont all have beards and long hair , and we do have females members , .
    ...but yes i am afraid we all have laptops, oh and we mostly sit in the snackary.

• Advertisement

Oh....

is this an ironypost

Neckbeard society. Even the girls heave neckbeards.

Neckbeard society. Even the girls heave neckbeards.
    is this an ironypost

?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Oh....

compared to u who is obviously partying with kid rock and john fashanu. you wild man u.
    "look at teh nerts with their laptops!!! hahaha im so much better then them!!!"

good on ya son

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Jazzy wrote: »
    compared to u who is obviously partying with kid rock and john fashanu. you wild man u.
    "look at teh nerts with their laptops!!! hahaha im so much better then them!!!"

good on ya son

Awooga :)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Just want to say that if I'd had a chance on the night to give a shoutout to anyone, it'd be Gigsoc, a lot of people aren't aware of how damn well they've done in a single year, Dave is damn good at marketing his society, they put on a fantastic Battle Of The Bands with some really good talent, and had constant lessons/jam sessions that brought a lot of budding artists out of the woodwork.

Cheers Zac, quite disappointed we were overlooked but it's good that there was competition between Best AST Soc and Best New Soc. That said I'm happy that people enjoyed the events we put on :) congratulations to yourselves, you really put on some great stuff and from the first time I saw yis at the next stall in Freshers Week I knew you'd do a good job :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

I have to say fair play to Games Soc. As Anita said on the night of the awards, the decision over Best Soc boiled down to dedication and services to members, and obviously Games Soc won that battle. For a society only in your second year, you've done remarkably well and deserve the accolade.

As for the previous comment about the bar being set low for DIT Socs, I must heartily disagree. 80+ Societies? Over 6,000 members? DIT are amongst the country's leaders when it comes to society activities.

Break a leg at the BICS Awards next week lads - I'll be there to cheer ye on.

- another beardy, longhair type -

Advertisement