Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost the head at work

Options
  • 03-04-2009 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I lost the head at work the other day and let rip at a co-worker about stuff not being done properly. I am under a lot of stress and pressure in work and regretted it immediately after. They asked to talk to me about it in private, which we did, and they 'reprimanded' (!) me about losing the cool with them in front of others. They are not my superior and I was a little put out by their tone, but admitted I was stressed and it wouldn't happen again. The thing is there is an uncomfortable atmosphere since and on more than one occasion I have caught them whispering with other colleagues and looking at me afterwards, and then making bitchy remarks about not 'upsetting people'. Its really getting to me to the point I feel like leaving the job. I have spoken to my boss about it and he just doesn't want to know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Perhaps you could send out a mail to the people who were in the vicinity of your outburst, apologising for your behaviour and assuring them that the other person involved is doing good work/doing stuff properly.

I think the person who was on the recieving end dealt with you in a very mannerly fashion, maybe you could respond in kind?

Not really up to your boss to fix your interoffice relationships is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

It is really hard in that kind of situation to continue to keep your cool and to re-build relationships with people- they will forgive you but it will take a bit of time and in order for it to happen you have to keep your head in future and to make it clear to people you are sorry about it and it won't happen again.

I wouldn't advocate sending a mail to everyone - ok you did lose your cool but sending a mail gives people a reminder of what happened and if they have a mail they can open it up again and again. The best thing to do is put it out of your head and they will forget about it soon enough because something else will happen in the office to distract them. They are humans and not elephants after all! What I would do is buy this other person a small gift - a peace lily perhaps - they cost six or seven euros in woodies or the supermarkets......she might be unlikely to bad mouth you in future if you've done something like that.............

Regarding the stress, you need to learn how to cope with it - you will always come up against stressful situations regardless of what job you do, it is part of life. It might be an idea to get some help in tackling the stress. It sounds like you need an outlet for your anger/frustration as well as some kind of method of regularly chilling out. If you want some more pointers on that pm me as I can point you in the right direction.

We have all lost it at some point in time (I certainly have) we are all human after all. The learning is to find a way to deal with work issues head on in a non-confrontational way and before you lose your own cool.

Advertisement