Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what could it mean if your oral is very, very hard

Options
  • 03-04-2009 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

i am doing honours but really im at at 40% pass grade

i did alot of preration for my oral on the uasual topics and i could reem them off pretty handy

but she really did me in on the oral
    she asked me

-what is the cause of the ressesion
    -is there much presser on the taoiseach
    -what do i think of obama
    -do pro fooball players have a nice life
    -would i ever like to go to america
    -what do you think of young kids buying pets at christmas and not looking after them?

i can hardly answer them in english never mind irish
    i wonder how i did...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

kevogy wrote: »
    i am doing honours but really im at at 40% pass grade

i did alot of preration for my oral on the uasual topics and i could reem them off pretty handy

but she really did me in on the oral
    she asked me

-what is the cause of the ressesion
    -is there much presser on the taoiseach
    -what do i think of obama
    -do pro fooball players have a nice life
    -would i ever like to go to america
    -what do you think of young kids buying pets at christmas and not looking after them?

i wonder how i did...

If she asked you basic questions before them (e.g where you live, pastimes, stuff like that) then it means you did very well, and she was checking to see what standard you had. IMO, it's a very good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

It could mean your examiner's a total prick.

It could also mean though, that your level of Irish was very good, so well done.
    More than likely, they wouldn't have continued to ask hard questions unless you were capable of dealing with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

kevogy wrote: »
    i wonder how i did...

lol, I did my oral the day of the Columbine school shooting. I'd be struggling to talk about gun control in English let alone Irish :o
    But that was a subject I got

Well done OP, you've shown a good standard so they were pushing to see what your limits were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I presume this is Irish, is it?

Tbh, I think most of these questions are fairly straight forward, maybe not the one about the pets but the rest seem to be fairly answerable and predictable. But maybe it is me being an arrogant prick.

As an earlier poster said, it could be a sign that you done very well and the examiner was trying to test your vocab and take you away from the schpeels you had learned off and could be a very good sign and you may have done very well. Remember the sliocht is worth 30 marks aswell.

I got asked about Paisean Faisean because I told him I watch it (a blatant lie, and he knew it too). I was asked how would I change the education system to make it fairer on the students and is TY a waste of time, plus a bit on the recession.

I wouldn't worry about it now... its in the past. Now, you have to focus on your paper 2 stuff and essay writing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

Ss well as what others said, could also mean that while she may have been a bit of a bitch, you might have led her into these questions without realising, and due to insufficient preparation.
    For example of what I mean, and as a bit of an assumption of what you may have done is;
    Say she asked you 'u gonna go on holidays?', you reply 'yeah, america etc..', at HL i'd imagine its quite an obvious step for her to ask about the Obaminator...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

it means you failed miserably and you might aswell drop down to pass befor its too late....

haha not really, well done! :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

Its a good sign well done :D

Unless your examiner is just a twat..
    ask others who had that examiner what their oral was like you should have knowledge of their strenghts in Irish if they are in your class.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

I never got past the ceoillcorim bit :lol:
    Is that even how its spelt, Im ordinary level btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I personally wouldn't worry. If you feel that your oral was unfair, that can be a reason for appeal in august.

tbh I felt that way coming out of my Spanish oral. It went really quickly and felt that I missed great opportunities to talk about different things. Plus I didn't use as much of the future tense as I should have, although I did throw in the subjunctive. Also I was asked at the end of the bullfighting roleplay "Was there any aspect of Irish culture that I did not like?". I handled it ok by talking about Irish drinking habits but our class didn't prepare that.

As regards Irish I wasn't asked any hard questions.. I talked a while about my Spanish homestay during Transition Year. She was impressed with me at the end and was genuinely glad to talk.. so I guess that's hopeful. It was the same with French.. no hard questions. After talking about my document (which was on my Spanish homestay). She asked about differences between Spain and Ireland. Then at the end she said "on a bien parle' " which I guess is positive.

U did fine so na bi buartha! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭fig mclough

i taught mine was very unfair!!!! my examiner
    jush keep asking me questions tat all i could do was just say yes or agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Harder questions is a good sign.

We predicted the ressession question and the Cowen one in our school so they were pretty straight forward. From what i've heard they were common all over the country this year.

If you were talking about sports then it's probable that you walked yourself into the question on the professionals. Don't worry about it. I mentioned I did martial arts in passing and ta-da he wanted to know what kind of protective gear we wore while sparring! Needless to say I hadn't a clue. How do you say chest protectors, soft helmets and limb pads in Irish?!:eek:

The pets question seems really random though. Maybe you're better at Irish than you think!:D

Advertisement