Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Customer Service and Repair Service

Options
  • 03-04-2009 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭

Im at the end of my tether with Apple. Im going to have to send my ipod off for repair for the fourth time within a month. I have a 160gb Classic that flat out refuses to sync.

First of all I rang customer service, told them my problem, all the symptoms etc. Grand so, she sent a UPS courier for it. I thought "Whats all the fuss about Apple, they're awful nice to help me out so easily." A week on I got it back, no repair necessary said the letter. I rang them back in a state of bewilderment. Apparently, after me spending about 15 minutes explaining all the stuff to the customer service one, the only symptom she noted was that it wouldn't turn on! Thats the only feckin thing it would do!

UPS was dispatched again and a new ipod was duly posted to me. Happy days this one HAS to work... doesn't it? No, as it hapens, it doesn't. First thing I get is a -53 error. Maybe its my computer I think. So I tried syncing it on two other computers. Same error on one and no error message displayed on the other but it wouldn't sync. I rang Apple again and listed my problems, UPS came and collected it, grand.

Got it back and lo and behold the same thing happened. I've tried reinstalling iTunes, syncing other peoples libraries, updating every piece of software i have all to no avail.

What are the chances of me getting two faulty ipods? How can such a big company has such awful quality control?

Has anyone else had problems with getting ipods fixed, or talking to customer reps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭CivilEx

My iPhone developed a faulty speaker last year. Rang them in Cork (strong accent - either from India or Cork, couldn't be sure:D) courier dispatched with new iPhone before I even had to part with my old one. A first class service IMO.

Any other common denominators here - what about the cable you used to sync each time, was it the same one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Tried my brothers one. I've even synced my library to his 120gb ipod with zero hassle. From a brief search of the internet I can see its not a rare problem with the 160gb. I'd quite happily accept a 120gb from them if it was offered with some itunes store credit or something since I paid 330 euro for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would say there is next to no chance the problem is the iPods, from your description. Have you been using the same cable with each iPod or did you get a new one with the replacement?

If it is the same cable, that could be the problem. If not the cable, I would say there is a problem with the computer. Do you have a shop anywhere near by that sells Apple products or is an authorised service centre? If so, I would take it in and see if they will try it out.

I should add, that the couple of times I have used Apples Customer service and repair, they have been outstanding, the best of any company I have had dealings with. If they say the iPod is fine, I would believe them.

Ive tried three different cables and three different itunes libraries. Same problem. Ill take it into Dixons on monday and see if they can help but since I bought it elsewhere (the apple website) I doubt they'll be too keen to help. Are there any dedicated Apple shops in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

USB port? USB hubs being used?

• Advertisement

Ive tried each of the four USB slots in my laptop. Is there anything I can change to test if the ports are the problem?

I tried reinstalling iTunes again today to see if my database files were corrupt but same thing only with no error message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 nolo77

See my thread below started last week. Not much use to you but you might like to read it anyway. UPS delivered my third 160gig ipod last week and I would gladly have accepted a 120gig instead as I have no confidence in the 160gig. Neither have Apple apparently as they have discontinued it!

I have owned a lot of ipods over the last few years and have never had any trouble with them.

Now I have only 90 days warranty on this one as my original ipod would have been out of warranty in June! I have argued this with Apple to no avail!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520106

Having tried it on 2 macs today with a different cable I can confirm its not my computer. Neither mac finished syncing and there was only about 800 songs on one. I got an error message saying the drive can not be read or written to on one mac. I think Ill give them one more chance and then its the small claims court.

Advertisement