Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fulham vs. Liverpool Match Thread

• 03-04-2009 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

Live on Setanta Sports 1/Setanta Ireland, kick-off at 5:30 pm

Vital match for both teams. Fulham pushing for a place in Europe, and what better way of doing it than beating the best two teams in England one after another.

Liverpool aiming for first place, and anything but a loss will give them just that for a day at least.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Lucas
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Riera

Nando

Cavalieri
    Agger
    The Doss
    Masch
    Babel
    Benni
    Ngog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Live on Setanta Sports 1/Setanta Ireland, kick-off at 5:30 pm

Vital match for both teams. Fulham pushing for a place in Europe, and what better way of doing it than beating the best two teams in Europe one after another.

Liverpool aiming for first place, and anything but a draw will give them just that for a day at least.

fixed that for you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

C'mon the pool.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Wont lie i'm a tad worried about this one. Really hope Benitez doesn't rest players for europe now. Fulham cant be taken lightly by any means. Another thing we cant do is we cant give them anything to hold onto. We need to get the lead early simple as that and not give them a sniff. Look what they done to United when given something to hold onto.

Fly into them in the first 20 minutes, get the lead Happy ****ing days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Lucas
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Riera

Nando

Cavalieri
    Agger
    The Doss
    Masch
    Babel
    Benni
    Ngog

This is the team we will see I'd say.
    Iang87 wrote: »
    Really hope Benitez doesn't rest players for europe now.

I dont think theres any danger of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Setanta Ireland tea-time game = 0-0 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Pretty much agree on the XI but I could see Insua getting a game here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

mike65 wrote: »
    Setanta Ireland tea-time game = 0-0 draw.

Our record on Setanta Sports has not been good this year huh? :)

Fulham are a good side at home and it remains to be seen how badly the International break will have killed our momentum. No easy task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I have a strong feeling that Liverpool will give Fulham a bit of a thumping, similar to what United did in the FA Cup against them. I'd say Liverpool will win it by at least two goals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Strange in the lead up to Fulham's previous game, the expectation of their good home record bearing fruit was disregarded against a team just well beaten at home. Now playing at home to a team on form, it's considered a tough one by all and sundry..

Though there is the month prizes factor and the Setanta factor, so 2-0 Fulham:pac:

• Advertisement

zing wrote: »
    Pretty much agree on the XI but I could see Insua getting a game here

Aurelio has been outstanding recently though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tusky wrote: »
    Aurelio has been outstanding recently though.

all the more reason to make sure he's fit and ready for Chelsea.

Insua cant play in Europe, and is more then adequate cover, so makes sense to let him play. if anything happened to Aurelio it would mean we'd have Doss for Chelsea, and no cover at LB.

I could maybe see Insua and Agger coming in, as well as maybe lucas for masch due to tiredness, but otherwise, first choice starting 11 with Torres, Gerrard and one of the wingers coming off if we look comfy.

Massive game for Liverpool though, with Scholes, Vidic, Rooney, Berbatov all out for Utd, and Tevez (the only fit senior striker) having just played a match halfway across the world, higher then most european mountains, I could definately see Villa having a shout at a draw.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    all the more reason to make sure he's fit and ready for Chelsea.

Insua cant play in Europe, and is more then adequate cover, so makes sense to let him play. if anything happened to Aurelio it would mean we'd have Doss for Chelsea, and no cover at LB.

I could maybe see Insua and Agger coming in, as well as maybe lucas for masch due to tiredness, but otherwise, first choice starting 11 with Torres, Gerrard and one of the wingers coming off if we look comfy.

Massive game for Liverpool though, with Scholes, Vidic, Rooney, Berbatov all out for Utd, and Tevez (the only fit senior striker) having just played a match halfway across the world, higher then most european mountains, I could definately see Villa having a shout at a draw.

You cant just not play him on the off chance that he might get injured. He hasnt played in two weeks, he should be fresh.

This is the best chance Liverpool have had at winning the league in a long long time. Europe should be put to the back of the mind as far as I'm concerned. I think Rafa will be thinking the same and we will see a full strength team tomorrow (bar masch).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tusky wrote: »
    You cant just not play him on the off chance that he might get injured. He hasnt played in two weeks, he should be fresh.

This is the best chance Liverpool have had at winning the league in a long long time. Europe should be put to the back of the mind as far as I'm concerned. I think Rafa will be thinking the same and we will see a full strength team tomorrow (bar masch).

Putting in Insua doesn't exactly weaken the team, the spot was his for a decent portion of the season, on merit, before he had to go on International duty afterall. And bringing in a very good LB to replace an excellent LB isn't anything as game changing as, say NGog for Torres, or Yossi for Gerrard.

I couldn't see much wailing and nashing of teeth if Insua started LB and the rest of the team was full strength, and indeed if we went on to lose or draw with such a team, i doubt that would be the deciding factor.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Fabio start, wouldn't be surprised or upset to see Insua start either. Would be dubious if Dossena started at LB however (though i think he's actually a viable option for LW, fast, strong, good crosser, pretty cool head on his shoulders in the box)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

28 - 0 pool at least

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Lucas
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Riera

Nando

Cavalieri
    Agger
    The Doss
    Masch
    Babel
    Benni
    Ngog

I agree, I think this is the team we'll see, well I hope anyway. I don't think Rafa will rest players; however if it's one thing I've learned over the years it's never be surprised by Rafa's team selections!

If this game was a week ago I'd be pretty confidant; however I must say I'm a bit worried. Fulham have a pretty good home record this season and were pretty impressive against United in the first half. I hope we start the way we did against Villa and go all out for an early goal....then see what United are made of tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Great to be back in action , Christ that was a long two weeks of mickey mouse football :rolleyes:
    A win today is a must to go back to the top and also send a message to utd after fulham beating them.
    Can't see rafa changing too much as long as he keeps the middle 7 of reina,carra,skyrtel,alonso,mach,torres and gerrard.
    I'd take a one nil no bother with an og from danny murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Nobody can beat Liverpool right now
    by Steve McManaman , 03 April 2009

Of all the Premier League clubs, Liverpool are looking brilliant right now. And that's not good news for Fulham.

The last few games, Real Madrid, Manchester United and then Aston Villa, Liverpool have played the way Liverpool teams should play. They were strong, they were powerful and they went out and crashed everybody else.

I just hope the same happens at Fulham on Saturday. It’s a difficult away game at Craven Cottage, Liverpool went there last year and won easily – with a heavily understrength side – it’s in their hands as to whether they produce a repeat display this time.

The key is getting all the players back from internationals without any injuries. I know the likes of Javier Mascherano don’t return until 24 hours before the game – it will be a blow if he misses out – he was immense at The Cottage last season.

Assuming everybody’s fit, I’d expect Rafa Benitez to pick the same kind of team that he has been doing, playing with the same intensity so that they do to Fulham what they’ve just done to Villa, United and co.

Often in the past we haven’t seen the tempo and tenacity that we saw against Villa, but that has partially been down to the fact Liverpool haven’t had a settled side.

Benitez has got his main men back now, they’re all match fit, the side has got a settled look.

When you cast you mind back to the draw at home to Manchester City or the defeat to Middlesbrough, Liverpool didn’t have full-strength teams on both occasions.

That has been the key in this title race. Manchester United have a squad that copes with injuries far better.

But when Liverpool are all fit and well, you suddenly see what they can do – as we saw against Villa – and I expect them to do similar to Fulham.

If Liverpool bring that same intensity and desire, I don’t think anyone can beat them at the moment.

And if Danny Murphy lines up a penalty to deny Liverpool victory in the final minute, he’ll probably stick it perfectly in the top corner like he did against Manchester United…but Pepe Reina will fly to his left to save it!

Don't agree with all of it, but liked the bit about Danny and Pepe at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Team announced.

Reina, Arbeloa, Insua, Carragher, Skrtel, Lucas, Alonso, Kuyt, Dossena, Torres, Gerrard.
    Subs: Cavalieri, Agger, Ngog, Riera, Benayoun, Babel, Mascherano.

Daemonic wrote: »
    Team announced.

Reina, Arbeloa, Insua, Carragher, Skrtel, Lucas, Alonso, Kuyt, Dossena, Torres, Gerrard.
    Subs: Cavalieri, Agger, Ngog, Riera, Benayoun, Babel, Mascherano.

Liverpool 5-1 -2 goals. May have to have a smack if that's the team.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Just like to express my support for Fulham today.

G'wan Fulham.

CHD wrote: »
    Just like to express my support for Fulham today.

G'wan Fulham.

haha , no doubt!

fúck off Dave ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

My prediction Fulham 1-1 Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

haha , no doubt!

fúck off Dave ;):p
    I went for that Liverpool -2 bet also, so don't worry, my Fulham support is only half-hearted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

20 minutes to go. Have to sat I'm confident, in spite of their record at home. C'mon the Pool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Dossena in the midfield :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

colly10 wrote: »

Why not?
    He's playing well of late and has scored a few. All our LBs are good going forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He and Insua can overlap and swap postions.

Why not?
    He's playing well of late and has scored a few. All our LBs are good going forward

So is Riera except he's actually a winger, in a game where we must win and where we already have Lucas in the side why do it. Theres no need to rest and take chances, were lucky to be back in the race, we almost threw it away making these decisions in the past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

pretty nervous.

coming back after the break, the momentum built up before it needs to be re-captured.

a tentative 2-1 pool for me. a comfotable victory would be nicer for momentum.

good start by the officials there....

Any links?

im watching it on setanta ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

None of the decent listed streams are working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Any links?

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/6816

il get another one for you if you dont have sopcast podge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Odd decision to leave out Reira after his form, unless he's keeping him for midweek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm happy enough with the team, to be honest. Dossena has been decent lately on the left side of midfield. He gets himself into positions where you'd expect a striker to be (almost scored against Ireland on Wednesday).
    Hope Lucas has a decent game to keep the critics of his back. He had his best game for Liverpool, i feel, in this fixture last season.

colly10 wrote: »

Refer to my sig ! :p

Good man Dave :)
    PHB wrote: »
    Odd decision to leave out Reira after his form, unless he's keeping him for midweek.

Apparently he was wrecked after the Turkey game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

daithijjj wrote: »
    sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/6816

il get another one for you if you dont have sopcast podge.
    I dont have Sopcast, could ya please post another link?

Cheers.!

• Advertisement

liverpool are playing a very high defensive line...with andy johnson in the fulham team? odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Any links?

http://www.iraqgoals.net/ch1.html

working good for me.

joe123 wrote: »
    Cheers.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

joe123 wrote: »

Gah dossenas head.

Refer to my sig ! :p

Good man Dave :)

Apparently he was wrecked after the Turkey game.

I stand corrected :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I dont have Sopcast, could ya please post another link?

Cheers.!

most of the links are sopcast mate, im trying to find a media player link thats working before i post it......still looking, sorry.

The iraqgoals one wouldnt work for me.........glad ya found one....enjoy.

Ahhh Dirk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The Liverpool fans look quality on tv when they sing the Torres song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hows the game going lads?

• Advertisement
Advertisement