Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students get customs duty & VAT relief

Options
  • 03-04-2009 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi I’m a student in DCU. I’ve decided to purchase a netbook (Samsung nc10) to see me to my degree. Unfortunately prices in Ireland are just slightly beyond my financial reach (+378). I have no choice really but to shop with laptopsdirect.ie (350) or ebay (300ish).

Anyhoo, I called up laptopsdirect.ie and asked the sales dude if there would be an import duty/customs charge on the item. He kinda fudged answering and told me he’d get back to me; when he returned he said, as far as they were concerned there would be no other charges.
    As far as I am aware this was not true.

I am liable to pay 21% customs tax on the item.

However for me the Irish customs charge makes the whole endeavour financially untenable.

From the little research I’ve done, after the item + VAT are paid in the UK, the item is shipped. When it gets to customs in Ireland the customs office hands it off to DHL or An Post or whomever, then it’s delivered to my front door. Irish customs tax is then requested by the Irish shipping vendor (DHL etc) on your doorstep.

I’ve read many posts of unfortunate consumers who’ve been levied with a second charge (on top of UK VAT,exchange rates etc) which totally undoes the savings that one might have had by shopping beyond our shores.

However, there are exemptions to customs tax.
    Under Article 25 of Regulation (EEC) for Customs Duty if you are a student and can prove it, you are entitled to relief from customs duty and VAT on the importation of student goods. Guidelines require that “Where goods are forwarded by post, the declaration on the parcel should be endorsed: “Scholastic Materials: Exemption from import charges claimed”. It must also include customs documents with relevant code to qualify. The document in question is known as the Single Administrative Document (SAD).

There are also many other exemptions to such charges.

Has anyone here used this method of claiming relief on Customs duty and VAT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

It's probably worth taking into account that it's a purchase in the EU and is no different than you going to the UK and bringing a laptop back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ionsurfer

Does that mean that I don't have to pay a customs tax + VAT if it comes from UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

There is no import duty as the company is within the eu.

You pay Irish Vat because the company does enough trade in Ireland to require them to pay Irish Vat even though they are not based here.

jhegarty wrote: »
    There is no import duty as the company is within the eu.

You pay Irish Vat because the company does enough trade in Ireland to require them to pay Irish Vat even though they are not based here.

Yeh but the revenue document states that a student can "avail of relief from Customs Duty and VAT"*

But how about that student tax relief, if I'm interpreting the exemptions correctly, I can purchase the same item in the states, and as long as it's correctly documented (as above) I will not have to pay.

*my italics

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

you are incorrectly interpreting the document. that relief is for students moving to Ireland to study. i assume you are not in that category.

i have not herd of anyone being levied Irish vat on a uk import in over 17 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ionsurfer wrote: »
    Yeh but the revenue document states that a student can "avail of relief from Customs Duty and VAT"*

Anything you buy from within the EU will have VAT on it, student or not. Anything imported from outside the EU, would be liable for duty and VAT on arrival.

Basically, the price you've been quoted from Laptopsdirect is the price you'll pay. No more, no less.

Sold.
    Laptopsdirect.ie it is :)

btw there are a large number of exemptions on non-EU import duty & VAT-beyond the price limits-certainly enough to consider in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sold.
    Laptopsdirect.ie it is :)

btw there are a large number of exemptions on non-EU import duty & VAT-beyond the price limits-certainly enough to consider in the future...

Just to add a spanner to the works. Have a look on the laptop forum before you purchase from laptopsdirect.ie. The general consensus is avoid them like the plague. Their prices are low for a reason.

I purchased a laptop off them three years ago, and didn't have a problem. However, a number of people have had significant problems with them.

Unless it's VAT exempt, or 0% VAT rated item, then I don't believe that is the case. The monetary limits of 22 euro for VAT, and 150 euro for duty, is applied across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I bought a laptop off LaptopsDirect last year, got a great deal, no problems. but after hearing a lot of the horror stories I'd still be wary of buying off them again.
    Looking at buying an NC10 myself at the moment. Looks like it'll work out about 355 including delivery from them; you can get one from Elara.ie for 361. Or dabs.ie for aobut the same price, though I've had issues with them before.
    For the sake of a few quid, I wouldn't risk LDirect.

• Advertisement

I'd recommend Elara, and if you're in Dublin, you can collect it from their offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Ordered off Elara at 12:40 yesterday (€363 inc VAT and delivery).
    Got a mail at 16:30 to say it was shipped.

Got a call from the security desk here at 10:00 this morning to say there was a package for me.

Can't argue with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i had someone in my office by a laptop from laptops direct, and there was no problem either.

I followed posters' advice and skipped LDirect, did an eBay, got as new Sammy for under £300, no warranty but has seriously kicked ass for the last 6 months.

I didn't have to pay any tax, customs or extra delivery charges (it was a UK purchase).
    Battery life for laptop was outstanding, but wanted to upgrade to 12hrs+ model. Bought a 7,800 Mh off eBay (location Hong Kong).

I received a polite letter from Revenue Commish informing that they have my battery in Customs - they will deliver item if I pay 20%VAT + €6 + customs and provide Paypal or credit card receipt.
    harumph :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I received a polite letter from Revenue Commish informing that they have my battery in Customs - they will deliver item if I pay 20%VAT + €6 + customs and provide Paypal or credit card receipt.

Just send them your invoice and they'll charge 21.5% on the cost of the item you paid plus €6 from unpost, I'm sure you would of still saved by buying from Hong Kong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Only if the battery is genuine , if is a knockoff then he has wasted his money . Lots of hong kong batteries are counterfeit .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Reasonably priced batteries could have been purchased from the UK without all of this customs hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

You were unlucky to have customs stop your battery, seriously there is a 1 in a hundred chance!

Where did you buy the battery? Deal extreme

EDIT: See you bought off ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I followed posters' advice and skipped LDirect, did an eBay, got as new Sammy for under £300, no warranty but has seriously kicked ass for the last 6 months.

I didn't have to pay any tax, customs or extra delivery charges (it was a UK purchase).
    Battery life for laptop was outstanding, but wanted to upgrade to 12hrs+ model. Bought a 7,800 Mh off eBay (location Hong Kong).

The joys of purchasing outside the EU. :D

Advertisement