Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incompetent worker, what to do?

Options
  • 03-04-2009 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Short background; work part time as management cover in a clothes shop. Very few staff, I have been working here for over a year. Heres the problem....

Last year a new part timer was hired, she had no experience, just turned 18, first job etc. found her being hired suprising as the manager is a bit of a stickler for hiring without experience but anyways. Now I assumed it would take the young girl a while to settle in and learn the ropes etc. but she has now been working here for 6 months without improvement. for some reason the manager has broken the 4 part time staff into teams of two who always seem to work together, me constantly being paired with her, with her rarely working with the manager, this is resulting in me resenting her due her inability to work efficently. It has come to the stage where work is not getting done, the shop is messy when I leave which has resulted in my superiors making comments about my work ethic, i have been staying back an extra 20 mins without pay to give the floor a quick tidy because Im so ashamed of the quality of work completed that is being left behind, everytime I work with her there are discrepancies on the till, I know people can make mistakes but whenever I have worked with another member of staff neither of these problems have arose. She also seems to be favoured on the rota getting approx 4 hours more than everyone else, I find this unfair as another girl, who is a good worker, has been working here two years and is willing to do every hour given to her, all our hours have been cut due to the downturn but due to this girl being on the lowest wage rate she is favoured. I could go on about her inability to work to a standard that is acceptable.

I want to inform my manager of the issues I am having as the situation has developed to the stage where I dislike going to work, and when I am finished I tend to be stressed out and in foul form and scared of what will be said to me the next time I work due to the standard of work being done.

There is one thing that is holding me back, it has come to light that this girl is actually a close family friend of the manager, and my manager tends to hold grudges, single out staff etc. (This issue has been brought to the attention of H.R on numerous occassions, but nothing is done beacuse we are one of the only stores who are on a regular basis making budget, so money is more important that having good staff morale.)

Should I just keep my mouth shut and be grateful I still have a job, as 2 people have been let go with further cut backs being looked at and rather than let go the last one in (which is this girl) our hours have been halved.

I have also politely discussed with the girl how to improve, one of jobs as management, but I may as well be talking to a wall.

Sorry for the long post, just so frustrated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Can you ask for your shifts to be swapped so you no longer or at least not always work with her? If others notice too you will have better basis for a complaint if they back you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

if your company want to pay peanuts it will get monkeys, they dont care if she isnt perfect at her job as she is cheap

complain all you like, they wont care unless she starts asking to be paid like a competent worker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Has she had a review?
    Is she pasted probation?
    Who signed her off her probation?
    If a list of jobs is done at the start of the shift and her name is beside tidying the floor last thing, it will be easier to see where she is slaking.
    Leave her there until all the tidying is done.
    Your the manager, walk the floor before you leave and tell her what needs to be done before you go.
    5 jobs for her 1 for you!

Remember this could be a test from your manager to see can you performance manage a member of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What I would suggest is that (and it is what most HR and management will expect as Iam in recei of such complaints regluarly as I work as an Area Manager for a retail chain).

Keep note of every instance where the staff member is not doing her job, dates times etc...include any lates or sickness she may have. If she's is performing so badly, you will then have indisputable evidence that she's just not suited to the role. Works with me everytime because of the written facts and not just hearsay or comments.

Advertisement