Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rahm Emanuel

Options
  • 03-04-2009 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭

Possibly the coolest man on the planet. He makes Jack Bauer look like a little scared girl crying for her mommy.

Really good piece here in the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/03/02/090302fa_fact_lizza
    In Granma, the Cuban government’s leading propaganda organ, Fidel Castro wrote of Emanuel, “Never in my life have I heard or read about any student or compatriot with that name, among tens of thousands.” After a rambling meditation on the similarities between the chief of staff and Immanuel Kant, the retired jefe concluded that “Obama, Emanuel and all of the brilliant politicians and economists who have come together would not suffice to solve the growing problems of U.S. capitalist society.”
    Emanuel, for his part, seemed indifferent both to the praise in Washington and to the oddball critique from Havana. In a few hours, he would be leaving for a ski trip with his family to Park City, Utah, and he was anxious to get out of the White House and start the weekend. Asked about Castro’s article, he said, “Well, you know, ever since I stopped sending him my holiday card he’s been ticked off. I don’t know what to think about it. Do you know what I’m thinking about? I’m going to finally get to see my kids after a month. So that’s all I give a **** about.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Possibly the coolest man on the planet. He makes Jack Bauer look like a little scared girl crying for her mommy.

Really good piece here in the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/03/02/090302fa_fact_lizza
    Hard copies of that morning’s issue of Politico were strewn across desks in the West Wing; the paper depicted Emanuel on its front page as a lordly giant ruling over the White House, Congress, and the rest of Washington’s political architecture.

I always felt he was the most interesting character of the entire bunch. This sharp-witted, agile ballet-dancer is the main mover and shaker. It was only a matter of time before his dynamic presence came to the fore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Dude's a legend.

I'm sure someone would have linked to the '06 roasting of Rahm, so I won't replicate it here. It's a must-see though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

His brother is Ari Emanuel, who the Ari Gold character from Entourage is based on, apparently they have the same personality.

The white house needs some of this kickass attitude to put the republicians in their place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

It mentions in the article that he has 3 brothers all exactly the same temperment and mentality.
    While Obama was wooing Rahm, Rahm’s older brother, Ezekiel, an oncologist and a bioethicist, served as a sounding board. “I probably spent half an hour every day being screamed at on the telephone by him,” he said. “ ‘I don’t want to do this. Why do I have to do this? Tell me I don’t have to do this.’ All of which said to me he knew he had to do it.” (Ezekiel told me that the rivalry among himself, Rahm, and their third brother, Ariel, a Hollywood agent who is the basis for the Ari Gold character on HBO’s “Entourage,” was so intense that they had to pursue careers in different cities. “We couldn’t possibly be within a thousand miles of each other, because the force fields just wouldn’t let it happen,” Ezekiel said. Rahm is now his boss; he works at the White House as an adviser to the budget director on health policy.)

Advertisement