Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-installing Vista over XP

• 04-04-2009 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

ok basically i have a Dell XPS 1330 that was downgraded to xp pro

but i hate it , and want to put the vista back on

but i dont have any cd's

is there a system recovery ???? that i can re-boot machine to factory settings ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Acoustic wrote: »
    ok basically i have a Dell XPS 1330 that was downgraded to xp pro
    but i hate it , and want to put the vista back on
    but i dont have any cd's
    is there a system recovery ???? that i can re-boot machine to factory settings ???

Depends if there is a recovery partition on the drive. Why dont you run the tag through the Dell website and see what they suggest on the FAQ, or maybe ask the online support. You will have no problem getting the drivers as they will all be on the Dell website, you will just need to download them.

If there was a Vista disc that came with it and is now lost, you could be in trouble. I called them about a year ago looking for a copy of a lost XP CD for a machine which I was fixing, and they was 200 euro. I blasted them out of it on the phone before eventually fixing the existing installation and not needing the CD. ;-)

by following the instructions on this you may find whether you have what you need, or whether you need extra CDs. I would pull down the latest driver for the network card before I do anything.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=58E26A65A4388E4FE040AE0AB7E107E3&l=en&s=dhs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Do you have a file Factory.wim in your partion drive? if so thiswill return the comp to the ste up you had day you bought it

when the comp is booting up keep pressing F8... then yould see the option to repair windows.. select this then i think it gives you the option to pick the drive you want to boot from... select your partition and off it goes..

hope its that simple for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you hate it, read how to configure it. XP is far superior to Vista and you can even set up similar style of desktop to Vista.

Most Buisness / Expert users regard Vista as a Downgrade to XP which is why Business takeup is nearly none existant. Sales is mostly home version preinstalled.

If you don't have the proper Vista disks for your laptop you can't easily change.

Or wait a few months and get the fixed version of Vista you will have to buy anyway, Windows 7.

watty wrote: »
    If you hate it, read how to configure it. XP is far superior to Vista and you can even set up similar style of desktop to Vista.

Well I answered the question on the premise that you HAD to upgrade. I would completely agree with watty on this. Any PCs that we send out to site we usually downgrade to XP for stability. XP with service packs is a great operating system, Vista is just a money making exercise. Unless there is something that you HAVE to run that wont run on XP, then I would leave XP on it.

Though you can never tell what users want. One user made me upgrade a PC from Win2k to XP just for Fast User Switching !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DX10 is only known example. Artifically created.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

firstly i was told dell dont support xp on the xps

secondly im having issues trying to un-install programs that wont delete , im not advanced enough to use the registry facility

so part of me thinks these issues occure because its meant to be on vista and not xp

id just like to wipe it clean and start again

thanks for replies guys

Acoustic wrote: »
    firstly i was told dell dont support xp on the xps
    secondly im having issues trying to un-install programs that wont delete , im not advanced enough to use the registry facility
    thanks for replies guys

Well reinstall is only an option if you have the Vista software but you know this already. And you are probably looking at purchasing it again if you wish to go this route.

As far as not supporting XP, that does not mean it wont work on XP. The hardware sales people have Vista pushed on them by Microsoft, because Vista didnt sell as well as they wanted.

If I'm right you are saying that you want to get rid of XP because you dont like it, (i.e. not because you are having problems with it)? Why dont you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

im having problems

im trying to remove programs and they wont remove

id like to just wipe the machine and start again

xp or vista

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oneway

XP.

Consider this: the processing power and RAM of the minimum graphics card you need to run SHVista is more powerfukl than the processing power and memory of an entire XP computer. The Vista tail is bigger thasn the XP dog.

have fun

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Well considering OP wants to install Vista again, I don't see how these XP ownz posts are relevent :rolleyes:. To answer your question OP, if you deleted the Vista installation partitions on the machine, you will need to contact the pc manufacturer for them to send you out discs to restore the machine, this may cost you but its generally around a tenner or so, if the vista partitions are still there, refer to the computers manual on how to launch the Vista installer, generally it is something like CTRL and F12 which is pressed while the machine posts

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement