Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

playing videos on a xbox360

• 04-04-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

is it possible to play videos from a usb hard drive on an xbox360 without being connected to the internt?

I keep getting an error saying "A media update is required to play this content. To get update, sign into XBOX LIVE and play content again"

Status Code: 51-C00dF236

Where do i get this 'media update'?
    If i do get it, can i disconnect from the internet and start playing videos from a usb?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

You get it from xbox live. Sign in, download the update and all will be well. You won't have to be online to play the vids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

a fat32 drive yes.

not sure if you can download the media update separately...google?

but you can connect to the web and get the update and then be offline watching movies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

rizzla wrote: »
    You get it from xbox live. Sign in, download the update and all will be well. You won't have to be online to play the vids.

thanks, but where on xbox live do i find it?

winston82 wrote: »
    thanks, but where on xbox live do i find it?
    marketplace/game downloads/popular downloads iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

also support is not 100%, out of about 100 files I've had 5 or 6 that aren't supported full stop...

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote: »
    marketplace/game downloads/popular downloads iirc

i still cant find it on the tabs. can you be more specific. Is 'iirc' the name of the program

sorry, iirc = if i remember correctly.

/flicks on tv and 360...let me check

have you the new dashboard?

hit the XBL button on the remote - marketplace - game marketplace - most popular - optional media update

kaimera wrote: »
    sorry, iirc = if i remember correctly.

/flicks on tv and 360...let me check

have you the new dashboard?

hit the XBL button on the remote - marketplace - game marketplace - most popular - optional media update

i have the new dashboard..
    i see the optional media update... this the one i download??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Go into Video Library in the My Xbox tab (I think), choose the external hard drive, open it, try opening a divx file, and it should prompt you to download the updates

Nick

winston82 wrote: »
    i have the new dashboard..
    i see the optional media update... this the one i download??
    yep.

wasn't sure if what yoyo said would work. been a long time since I installed the media update :)

• Advertisement

cheers lads i got this working. Downloaded the optional media update and is working fine now

Appreciate your time

Neil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Is there ANY chance of getting a .mkv to work?:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

helios12 wrote: »
    Is there ANY chance of getting a .mkv to work?:(
    I've had the same problem - don't think so Tbh. EDIT: Seen this link which might help:
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/GOTSent

Also whats the story on Hd files on usb? I assume they won't be viewed HD via the Xbox (with a compatible HD tv)?

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    I've had the same problem - don't think so Tbh.

Also whats the story on Hd files on usb? I assume they won't be viewed HD via the Xbox (with a compatible HD tv)?

Not too sure, i have my movies/music on a server connected to the home router and use Twonkymedia to serve everything in the house including the Xbox. Sadly, the Xbox is the most infuriating product I think I have ever bought.

Bit of hassle but if you really want .mkv =

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_mkv_to_mp4_for_xbox_360.cfm

(have yet to test myself so cannot vouch for difficulty or quality)

i used xilisoft video converter to convert the .mkv to 'HD xbox360 MCE .wmv' files and they work fine.

very time consuming tho :(

now I just run a hdmi cable from my pc to my tv and watch teh native mkv with VLC.

Advertisement