Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck with phone line broadband, what are my options?

Options
  • 04-04-2009 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have been looking to get broadband in my house. I have tried all wireless broadband providers and none can get a signal at my house! I have a phone line, not active and did not want to use it. But as no wireless companies can provide me with a service, looks like i have no choose. What are my options?

I have looked at BT, Eircom and Digiweb. Smart is not available in my area. As the phone line was not active for over 6 months I am looking at paying €121 to get it active. This seems to be the case with BT and Digiweb, is it similar with Eircom?

I am looking for around 3mb a month. I had hoped to get something for around the €50 (which does seem expensive to me!) mark but this is seeming difficult. Any help would be great to point me in the right direction or even exploring any options that i have not considered me as of yet. Looks like i will be tied in to a 12 month contract, any just broadband costs might drop within the 12 months? Also, how long from the order does it take to get connected? I have checked my current telephone line and its spec is correct for broadband.

Like I say, any advice would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Go with Eircom, they do 6 month contract, plus as the lines not active its them who must activate it so might speed things up. Can change in 6 months once its up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If the line is physically present you should just be able to get it activated. Haven't heard about the 6 months thing.

MC

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Eircom own 99.8% of the copper , so if you go with another ADSL provider they will have to get eircom to activate the line anyway.

It's not supposed to make any difference who you get to do that because Eircom aren't allowed give preference to themselves over another provider when it comes to servicing the copper.

Didn't someone post something about free new lines from eircom recently ??

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Amateur

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Go with Eircom, they do 6 month contract, plus as the lines not active its them who must activate it so might speed things up. Can change in 6 months once its up and running

Where are these 6 months contract, couldnt find them on their website?

Any idea of the free lines? :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement

Cheers. Looking at signing up for the 3MB Business lite. Does the 24.79 include line rental?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Where are you, I can tell you if Magnet are available. By the sound of things it doesnt sound like we are but it is worth a try.

Rorser wrote: »
    Where are you, I can tell you if Magnet are available. By the sound of things it doesnt sound like we are but it is worth a try.

Have checked, it isnt, thanks.

Amateur wrote: »
    Where are these 6 months contract, couldnt find them on their website?

Any idea of the free lines? :-)

See here, You can be a residential customer and have business broadband. Its the way mine is

Edit, just checked and residential is 6 months also, see, dunno how You couldn't find it

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Cheers. Looking at signing up for the 3MB Business lite. Does the 24.79 include line rental?

I doubt it.

• Advertisement

How, the line rentals €21 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

No, nor does it include VAT.

Line rental is €25.47 incl VAT.

Advertisement