Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reckless housemates

Options
  • 04-04-2009 1:34am

3 lads which i live with have wrecked the house. Dug up the lawn, broke some of the furniture, kicked in some of the doors and rubbish everywhere. Gards called one day due to the state of the place, he took my name, home address and phone number and my landlords number. Tried to explain that I didnt cause any of the damage but he said that since I lived there it was my responsibility.
    Is this ture? Am I responsible for my housemates actions?

I cleaned up the place as best I could but last night the house was trashed again by them and their mates. They vandalized my car in the process... I left the place as it was and went home for the weekend.
    Got a text off my landlord later on today saying that the place better be cleaned up as he is checking it on Monday. Tried to ring him but no answer.
    Im moving out in 2 months but is there any chance that i'll get my deposit back???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are you all equal tenants?
    Or are you subletting to these hooligans?

The landlord has no way of knowing who caused the damage. So if you are all tenants it'll be taken out of each of your deposits.

Digging up the lawn? Why? :confused:

Sounds like a busybody neighbour complained to the gardai also rather then call to the house and actually talk to ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

3 lads which i live with have wrecked the house. Dug up the lawn, broke some of the furniture, kicked in some of the doors and rubbish everywhere. Gards called one day due to the state of the place, he took my name, home address and phone number and my landlords number. Tried to explain that I didnt cause any of the damage but he said that since I lived there it was my responsibility.

I cleaned up the place as best I could but last night the house was trashed again by them and their mates. They vandalized my car in the process... I left the place as it was and went home for the weekend.
    Got a text off my landlord later on today saying that the place better be cleaned up as he is checking it on Monday. Tried to ring him but no answer.
    Im moving out in 2 months but is there any chance that i'll get my deposit back???

Have you called the gards? They have vandalized your car too :eek:
    Something amiss here.

Thanks for your reply's. We are all equal tenant's. Landlord has no way of knowing who did the damage. As for digging up the lawn, one of them had the car parked on it and they thought it would be a good idea to physically dig a moat around the car so he couldn't drive out.
    As for damaging my car, nothing major, broke off a wiper and numberplate. I have no proof that they did it, but I'm fairly certain it was them or their mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Thanks for your reply's. We are all equal tenant's. Landlord has no way of knowing who did the damage. As for digging up the lawn, one of them had the car parked on it and they thought it would be a good idea to physically dig a moat around the car so he couldn't drive out.
    As for damaging my car, nothing major, broke off a wiper and numberplate. I have no proof that they did it, but I'm fairly certain it was them or their mates.

Report it to the guards so you at least have something on your side indicating you're a victim too

Was hoping I could distance myself from the rest of them without calling the gards but since I cant get in contact with the Landlord....
    Guess I've no choice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

As for digging up the lawn, one of them had the car parked on it and they thought it would be a good idea to physically dig a moat around the car so he couldn't drive out.

Pics of that please. That's brilliant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Behave guys. Its accommodation&property- not After Hours. Any acting the mick, and you'll have a little holiday from this forum. Regards, SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I'd take pictures of the damage done & report it to the guards. Also it might not be a bad idea to get a diary & write down what damage has been done, the date, the approximate & by who, if you know who it is. The neighbours should be able to back you up on some of the things they have done too so it might not be a bad idea to have a chat with them about it.
    If there is substantial damage done not only will you lose the deposit but the landlord could take you to court for partial payment of the cost to repair it.
    Text the landlord too & let him know you are trying to contact him about the damage but there is no way I'd let them get away with it.
    It amazes me how some people willingly live in their own filth & expect others to put up with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I wouldn't blame the neighbour for reporting it to the guards (if that's what they did). With the extent of the damage done, that neighbour probably felt intimidated at the thought of confronting OP's housemates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I would seriously doubt that you'll get your deposit back. The landlord has little way of telling who caused the damage.

I wouldn't stay even another week with people like that.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your replies, In the last few days I managed to get in contact with the landlord (finally) and explained my case. He knows that I had nothing to do with the damage as I'm "more mature than the other lads" :D. No trouble with my deposit, only the 3 other lads affected..

Thank God!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As for digging up the lawn, one of them had the car parked on it and they thought it would be a good idea to physically dig a moat around the car so he couldn't drive out.

lol, that's genius :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It sounds like they have done thousands of pounds worth of damage. If I were the landlord I would commence eviction proceedings immediately. Its a pity there isn't a register where landlords can keep track of tenants.......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Ye are students I assume?

Advertisement