Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Meters....

• 04-04-2009 2:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

There's been a lot of talk of "smart metering" in the media and the internet. Has anyone actually seen the equipment they are planning to put in? Is there just one type of meter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

So far yes.

The pilots are Elster meters, and talk home via gsm (obviously this won't be the case when the rollout happens-they'll probably run with a node system of some sort).

There seems to be no capability yet for a user interface (like the lcd display in the house), and I don't know what the aspirations are, bar Eamon Ryan's uninformed witterings on the subject, which would have smart meters changing the oil in your car and pleasuring your wife while you're out playing darts :p

The ones at present are more geared toward utility use, being able to energise and de energise on command, switch a customer pair, send readings, and apply differing tarriffs.

If I think of it, I'll get pictures of one next week.

Oh, they don't have built in isolators either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Remember Op you cant choose to have a smart meter installed. Its luck of the draw really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Davy wrote: »
    Remember Op you cant choose to have a smart meter installed. Its luck of the draw really.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies....

I wasn't looking to have one installed as such... just wondering what's coming down the line in-terms of what sort of meters they will be using in x years time...

There's some interesting discussion over on the green forum about the toppic. I was just wondering had anyone actually seen one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

There seems to be no capability yet for a user interface (like the lcd display in the house), and I don't know what the aspirations are, bar Eamon Ryan's uninformed witterings on the subject, which would have smart meters changing the oil in your car and pleasuring your wife while you're out playing darts :p

The IHD (in-home display) is currently being developed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

The pilots are Elster meters,

What type of Elster meter is being used in the trial?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'll have to check. There's a brace of them sitting in the office. I may not be there for a couple of days though.

Advertisement