Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gps while abroad on N95 8g

• 04-04-2009 3:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭

hi

i recently went to germany and when i tried to use the gps on my n95 it asked for a data connection. i didnt want to allow this as i was afraid of the costs involved.

does any1 here know the best way to go about seting up/ using the n95 gps while abroad with out a data connection.??

also is the preloaded gps software the best to use or is there better free software availible??? how detailed are the maps?? im going to amsterdam and would like to be able to search for street names and navigate to them.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Download the Nokia map loader and install any maps you need. It tries to connect to a network if it doesnt have the current location map in memory.
    http://europe.nokia.com/A4984199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

bandit197 wrote: »
    Download the Nokia map loader and install any maps you need. It tries to connect to a network if it doesnt have the current location map in memory.
    http://europe.nokia.com/A4984199

cheers for that mate;)

so is the preloaded nokia software the best??
    i searched for tomtom but you gota pay for that and i want to keep my cash for partying in amsterdam!!!:cool:

Route 66 for N95 looks good but ive never used it. Ive used the pre-installed Nokia maps before and it got me out of a sticky situation on a winters night going from the West of Ireland to Edinburgh a year ago so cant fault it.

I cant vouch for it being much use at 4.00am in Amsterdam looking for the way home tho :D

bandit197 wrote: »
    Route 66 for N95 looks good but ive never used it. Ive used the pre-installed Nokia maps before and it got me out of a sticky situation on a winters night going from the West of Ireland to Edinburgh a year ago so cant fault it.

ill stick with that so

cheers again mate:)

• Advertisement

no worries, have a good trip

1 more question:p

will the aGPS not try and get a network connection to help find my location??? if so will it cost me a fortune???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

1 more question:p

will the aGPS not try and get a network connection to help find my location??? if so will it cost me a fortune???
    Just go into the options and disable the network connection. I think you have the choice of "always use", "always ask" or "never connect".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Random wrote: »
    Just go into the options and disable the network connection. I think you have the choice of "always use", "always ask" or "never connect".
    Options > Tools > Settings > Internet

Go online at start-up > no.
    Roaming warning > On.

Then you could change the APN to wifi also just so it won't connect to network.

Advertisement