Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shootout qualifying

• 04-04-2009 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Why did everybody hate this so much?

Although I watch quali every week I find the current format incredibly dull. Essentially what you have is the first sector, which is not really worth watching because the same cars usually get through and it really only decides the difference between 14-17th place. Then you get the second sector which is pretty much the same story. Its marginally more interesting to see who gets into the top ten but it all boils down to a few seconds at the end of the sector, the rest is just pointless.

Then you get the final sector...again its all pointless until the last minute or so.

Essentially the whole thing comes down to a few seconds at the end where you dont even see the cars driving you just see the times changing on the placing order.

Now compare that to the shootout...every lap was interesting because every driver had a specific target. Even if you did not really care about where the driver placed it was still great to see a fast flying lap with an F1 driver at the wheel. When it got to the business end things got really interesting...you were practically on board with the driver, willing them on, waiting to see the split go green or orange. It was very exciting and enjoyable stuff.

Everybody seemed to hate it though:( I would love to see a return to this..dont think I ever will though, am I alone here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

did you just watch it same cars through yeah right, it was brought in to stop people going out for the last 10 mins put in a hot lap. used to be nothing happened for 2o-30 mins so I think this is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Babybing wrote: »
    Why did everybody hate this so much?

Although I watch quali every week I find the current format incredibly dull. Essentially what you have is the first sector, which is not really worth watching because the same cars usually get through and it really only decides the difference between 14-17th place. Then you get the second sector which is pretty much the same story. Its marginally more interesting to see who gets into the top ten but it all boils down to a few seconds at the end of the sector, the rest is just pointless.

Then you get the final sector...again its all pointless until the last minute or so.

Essentially the whole thing comes down to a few seconds at the end where you dont even see the cars driving you just see the times changing on the placing order.

Now compare that to the shootout...every lap was interesting because every driver had a specific target. Even if you did not really care about where the driver placed it was still great to see a fast flying lap with an F1 driver at the wheel. When it got to the business end things got really interesting...you were practically on board with the driver, willing them on, waiting to see the split go green or orange. It was very exciting and enjoyable stuff.

Everybody seemed to hate it though:( I would love to see a return to this..dont think I ever will though, am I alone here?

You don't like it coming down to the last few seconds? When it was a single hour-long block it still came down to the last few seconds, which surely was more boring?
    There's Massa out btw ^_^

I reckon it was originally brought in for the advertising TV companies, probably sick of no-one watching til the last coupla minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

did you just watch it same cars through yeah right,

Not sure what that means.
    it was brought in to stop people going out for the last 10 mins put in a hot lap. used to be nothing happened for 2o-30 mins so I think this is better

I realise they have improved this format so teams were'nt driving around for 20 minutes burning fuel(:rolleyes:) but its still weak imo.

As a viewer all I am interested in is entertainment and excitement and I find with the current format the only time I find it interesting or exciting is the last 20 seconds of the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

amacachi wrote: »
    You don't like it coming down to the last few seconds? When it was a single hour-long block it still came down to the last few seconds, which surely was more boring?

I reckon it was originally brought in for the advertising TV companies, probably sick of no-one watching til the last coupla minutes.

Oh dont get me wrong, its good that happens my problem is the other 2,640 seconds where fvck all happens:D

Of course the minute I post this thread Ferrari do that in Q1:pac:

Think your right about advertising...and I think most of the drivers prefer it this way. Im just saying as a viewer I think its ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Exactly it is mostly for ads TBH.

It does make for more entertainment IMO and it is better for the faster drivers too.

In the old system, slow drivers were out at the last minute too slowing up the faster drivers and threatening to ruin potential pole laps on drivers. Think Ferrari running into Minardi in the last corner years ago and ruining an otherwise great lap when they had a limited number of laps.

This system is fairer and it can lead to surprises as drivers get caught out so it is still worth watching these for the odd surprise. Much better than the old system IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Their is always a car on track in this format, the slow cars have a battle in q3, the middle cars have a battle at in q2, and the fast cars have a battle in q1. Its certainly more interesting this year now that the teams are much closer.
    I did like the old format but their was always periods where their was no one on track. I liked the way you could see drivers improving lap after lap then come in stick on a set of qualifiers and do a quick lap but it still usually came down to 2 or 3 teams shootout in the last few minutes.

Babybing wrote: »
    Oh dont get me wrong, its good that happens my problem is the other 2,640 seconds where fvck all happens:D

Of course the minute I post this thread Ferrari do that in Q1:pac:

Think your right about advertising...and I think most of the drivers prefer it this way. Im just saying as a viewer I think its ****e.

Yeah but with the hour long system there was only one time when they were all going for it on track, now there's 3. As well as that, the fuel in the cars makes it even more intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

Qaulifying should be about setting the fastest lap. In the old system people started complaining about traffic in the last minutes preventing them from a good lap. Than came the single lap quali in which people started complaining that the weather wasn't equal, sometimes it started raining at the end of qauli. Now there is the shoot out system which seems fair to everyone. What i don't like is that the top 10 qaulifies in race trim, and thus is slower than q2.

rua1972 wrote: »
    Qaulifying should be about setting the fastest lap. In the old system people started complaining about traffic in the last minutes preventing them from a good lap. Than came the single lap quali in which people started complaining that the weather wasn't equal, sometimes it started raining at the end of qauli. Now there is the shoot out system which seems fair to everyone. What i don't like is that the top 10 qaulifies in race trim, and thus is slower than q2.
    I don't think any of the teams didn't like the old format the main reason for changing it was the FIA trying to make it more "exciting" for spectators and get higher viewing figures so they could get more money from TV etc... I don't know if it worked buy they will never admit to making a mistake so we wont be going back, this new format is ok, old format was better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I don't think any of the teams didn't like the old format the main reason for changing it was the FIA trying to make it more "exciting" for spectators and get higher viewing figures so they could get more money from TV etc... I don't know if it worked buy they will never admit to making a mistake so we wont be going back, this new format is ok, old format was better.

I have no doubt that is the primary reason the FIA did it but teams were complaining about cars blocking them on their final laps and it was highlighted in commentary a number of times and this new system has all but eliminated it and ensures almost fair qualifying.

The one way it isn't fair is running race fuel loads which is nonsense. Let them qualify, fastest driver wins and then fuel up afterwards.

• Advertisement

thebman wrote: »
    I have no doubt that is the primary reason the FIA did it but teams were complaining about cars blocking them on their final laps and it was highlighted in commentary a number of times and this new system has all but eliminated it and ensures almost fair qualifying.

The one way it isn't fair is running race fuel loads which is nonsense. Let them qualify, fastest driver wins and then fuel up afterwards.
    I have no doubt that the primary reason the FIA did it was for money!

I have no doubt that the primary reason the FIA did it was for money!

Not money really, since the contracts are signed etc. in advance, the FIA only care about ratings when the rights are up for sale, which they weren't when the current system was brought in.

I like the fact they qualify on race fuel, introduces an extra bit of tactical play to the whole weekend. Let's face it, if it was all about the FASTEST car then there wouldn't be much need for a 50-70 lap race would there?

Not money really, since the contracts are signed etc. in advance, the FIA only care about ratings when the rights are up for sale, which they weren't when the current system was brought in.
    Ok TV ratings. When qualifying was first changed they were worried about tv ratings spectator numbers etc now its not so much of an issue.
    I like the fact they qualify on race fuel, introduces an extra bit of tactical play to the whole weekend. Let's face it, if it was all about the FASTEST car then there wouldn't be much need for a 50-70 lap race would there?
    I don't mind the current format, i think the fuel loads make it more interesting than it would be.
    @thebman are you talking about the old 1 hour qualifying? I don't remember traffic being a major problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The old system was a massive cluster**** when you'd have every car on the track all day long. The amount of times a challenger for pole would be crippled while in the middle of a flying lap by getting stuck behind a Minardi was unbelievable. This is by far the best system - everyone gets a fair chance to qualify, you can't afford to make a mistake or go easy, and when it comes down to the wire its the best vs. the best.

The old system was a massive cluster**** when you'd have every car on the track all day long. The amount of times a challenger for pole would be crippled while in the middle of a flying lap by getting stuck behind a Minardi was unbelievable. This is by far the best system - everyone gets a fair chance to qualify, you can't afford to make a mistake or go easy, and when it comes down to the wire its the best vs. the best.
    That doesn't make sense in q3 you have all the cars out on track together for 20 min
    In the old system everyone had an hour and all the cars were rarely on track at the same time. Like i said i don't remember traffic being an issue in the old system.

That doesn't make sense in q3 you have all the cars out on track together for 20 min
    In the old system everyone had an hour and all the cars were rarely on track at the same time. Like i said i don't remember traffic being an issue in the old system.

Only 10 now rather than 22. And they were all out at the very end for when the track was at its best. You really don't remember traffic being an issue? I'm not saying it was the main reason, but it was definitely a problem.

Only 10 now rather than 22. And they were all out at the very end for when the track was at its best. You really don't remember traffic being an issue? I'm not saying it was the main reason, but it was definitely a problem.
    Oops i meant q1, I know their were a few complaints about traffic but their still is in the current system. The teams all know where everyone was on track its up to them to release their care into a clear space, still the same in the current system.

Oops i meant q1, I know their were a few complaints about traffic but their still is in the current system. The teams all know where everyone was on track its up to them to release their care into a clear space, still the same in the current system.

Except now about half if not more of the drivers don't need to be on track at the end of Q1.

Not anymore ask Massa :p
    Anyway i don't know why I'm arguing here i don't think they should change it i like the way it is now. :rolleyes:

Not anymore ask Massa :p
    Anyway i don't know why I'm arguing here i don't think they should change it i like the way it is now. :rolleyes:

Aw shut up, wonder how sick he is :P
    Mark of a great mind being able to understand something even when you don't agree with it ;):P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭shamrock321

The was it was back in 2006 with the 20 minute shoot out was the best, the fuel burn was great, it set things up, the current way they just get 2 runs is quite dull.

Advertisement