Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut the dole!! Way too many leeches

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

iguy wrote: »
    my point was how is it fair that my friend can live on over a grand p/w with no expenses and two people can have to live on under €700p/w with expenses.....oh and out of that €700 per week me and my girlfriend are left with €120 p/w while my friend is left with €1000 p/w and he can do whatever he wants with it!
    Uh, because your friend has a job and works for his money...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

spurious wrote: »
    We'll be losing at least 6 from our staff (of 40) this year. Meanwhile the number of students in the school will go up.
    A number of my younger colleagues would certainly have less than €800 per month disposable income...

The gross pay of a qualified teacher starting in full-time employment is about €37k + qualifications allowances -- say €40k (perhaps more, depending on qualification). I don't think that produces a net as low as €800 pm.

The situation could be different for part-time teachers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The gross pay of a qualified teacher starting in full-time employment is about €37k + qualifications allowances -- say €40k (perhaps more, depending on qualification). I don't think that produces a net as low as €800 pm.

The situation could be different for part-time teachers.

It's about 6 years or more since we got a new full-time teacher.
    Many of our teachers would be on about half that. I don't think our school is unique, in fact our rising numbers may be lessening the job losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

1. I'm unemployed at the moment, but my brother is getting married in Spain in September. So i shouldn't be allowed to go to my brothers wedding because I'm unemployed? :rolleyes:

2. What evidence can you give? Take a picture of you holding a Dunnes Application form? No businesses will entertain the idea helping you out if you need "proof" that you looked for a job off them.

3. Community service should be a job that someone gets paid for, not something you make unemployed people do. 25 hours is a ridiculous amount by the way. Besides, if your idea of putting a bunch of people who refuse to find work together, and expect them to actually do something constructive, then you're expecting far too much.

1. As a previous poster said, this was largely aimed at foreign residents who fly in for the day to collect dole. But then again, there's something wrong if you need dole and can afford to go on holidays, no?

2. I'm saying implement and infrastructure whereby there is a formal path to follow for job applications, eg compulsary "receipt of application" letters from employers.

3. Unemployed people will be paid for this work - their dole payments. And if they do nothing, the state gives them nothing. Largely aimed at challenging those who have chosen sitting on their arses as a career path. FÁS course could count for this, weekly testing to see if you're actually putting effort in to the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Off topic................................Jayus there are some strange people with the oddest views here on boards.ie!a majority of people have fair views and a small fraction of people dont have fair views at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Oh and do some people not have a heart or a brain.....people with disabilities cannot work or if they are eligible to work,only 5% of businesses in ireland is insured to take on people with disabilities.....so there!!!..this post is for cCiaran.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

iguy wrote: »
    Oh and do some people not have a heart or a brain.....people with disabilities cannot work or if they are eligible to work,only 5% of businesses in ireland is insured to take on people with disabilities.....so there!!!..this post is for cCiaran.....

yeah but bitching about your friend and what he earns isn't gonna earn you any friends here...
    I had sympathy for your plight till I read about that..then I thought to myself typical scrounger...I saw people in wheelchairs working in dell, people who were deaf, epilectics etc and you're sitting on your ass at home whinging about what your friend earns from work...
    If these people could get jobs why the hell couldn't you or your girlfriend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

The dole should not be cut, certainly should not be cut, BUT there definately needs to be tighter controls, here are two examples;
    1 My friend and his girlfriend, both have either lost their job (fella) or had serious cuts made to their hours (her). They now have a major loss of income from the house, they have to still pay all their bills and mortgage, and also the girlfriend is pregnant! They live in a small town where there is almost no chance of them finding more work, in the short term at least. They cant be left out in the cold now.

BUT

2 Another person I know has worked out their hours at work so that they will also be able to claim as much as possible from the dole as well. They have signed up for just about every grant and payment there is, for example, I do not know if she went ahead with this but she was going to apply for a Gaeltacht grant for Irish speakers - she does not have a single word of Irish! She also decided she wanted to move to Kerry from Cork, so picked the nicest spot she could find and settled down to claim a council house there, when inspectors were calling to the house she moved her BRAND NEW car to the other side of the estate so it would not be seen. She has claimed single mothers allowance for both her kids as well as childrens allowance - nothing wrong with that only she has also been claiming maintainence from her ex husband. BAsically she has worked out her life so that she now works a day or two, the rest of the time she does as she pleases, yet she will still have more money at the end of the week than most of us will. She fills her time driving to her fellas house in her new cars (she has had 2 - 3 in the 2 years I know of her) she eats out in restaurants near enough every night, she drinks nice wine and smokes like a trooper and insists on buying each new phone she likes on the market, certainly there needs to be tighter controls over social welfare to root out sponges like this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Shane-1 wrote: »
    The dole should not be cut, certainly should not be cut, BUT there definately needs to be tighter controls, here are two examples;
    1 My friend and his girlfriend, both have either lost their job (fella) or had serious cuts made to their hours (her). They now have a major loss of income from the house, they have to still pay all their bills and mortgage, and also the girlfriend is pregnant! They live in a small town where there is almost no chance of them finding more work, in the short term at least. They cant be left out in the cold now.

BUT

2 Another person I know has worked out their hours at work so that they will also be able to claim as much as possible from the dole as well. They have signed up for just about every grant and payment there is, for example, I do not know if she went ahead with this but she was going to apply for a Gaeltacht grant for Irish speakers - she does not have a single word of Irish! She also decided she wanted to move to Kerry from Cork, so picked the nicest spot she could find and settled down to claim a council house there, when inspectors were calling to the house she moved her BRAND NEW car to the other side of the estate so it would not be seen. She has claimed single mothers allowance for both her kids as well as childrens allowance - nothing wrong with that only she has also been claiming maintainence from her ex husband. BAsically she has worked out her life so that she now works a day or two, the rest of the time she does as she pleases, yet she will still have more money at the end of the week than most of us will. She fills her time driving to her fellas house in her new cars (she has had 2 - 3 in the 2 years I know of her) she eats out in restaurants near enough every night, she drinks nice wine and smokes like a trooper and insists on buying each new phone she likes on the market, certainly there needs to be tighter controls over social welfare to root out sponges like this!

I really agree with and can relate to this. It's outrageous the amount of disposable income the supposedly poor people have. You go into a council estate and the amount of satellite dishes. They constantly order their food in, smoke crazy amounts of cigarettes, drink plenty of cans of alcohol which they get delivered to their house and can afford foreign holidays. I saw someone I know on social welfare shopping in Superquinn! Social welfare recipients should not be shopping in Superquinn. The latest phone thing you mentioned is another thing and generally texting and phone calls. They're never out of credit, it's a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

ateam wrote: »
    I saw someone I know on social welfare shopping in Superquinn! Social welfare recipients should not be shopping in Superquinn.

Riiight - don't shop in Superquinn or get your dole cut -
    What if there's a 70's price promotion on extravagant luxuries like sugar or butter?
    What if you go to get their reduced stale bread late in the evenings?
    What if you want to splash the cash on some fresh mackerel at about 80 cents a fillet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Riiight - don't shop in Superquinn or get your dole cut -
    What if there's a 70's price promotion on extravagant luxuries like sugar or butter?
    What if you go to get their reduced stale bread late in the evenings?
    What if you want to splash the cash on some fresh mackerel at about 80 cents a fillet?

I expected this. I'm making a broader point here. That perhaps people on social welfare have too much disposable income, because they don't pay for electricity, medical bills, tablets, a mortgage etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

I lost my job recently and I have now had to sign on the dole, it's not fair, and I may not like it, but I have no choice, I have applied for other jobs but I have not heard any news back yet, besides, I have worked hard for 10 years so I am essentially getting some of my tax back, Social welware is a hallmark of any decent democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I expected this. I'm making a broader point here. That perhaps people on social welfare have too much disposable income, because they don't pay for electricity, medical bills, tablets, a mortgage etc..

People on social welfare have many different situations. Some are paying crippling mortgages and some are paying feck all rent for a nice flat right in a city centre.
    dlofnep wrote: »
    There just needs to be a more transparent means of means-testing people; and active pursuit ensuring people are looking for work with genuine intentions.

There needs to be a system in place to help people who genuinely can't find work (which is too many people unfortunately in these times), but that system must be protected to ensure it is only for the people who genuinely require it.

Are there people abusing the system? Absolutely. And if they are, cut them off. That includes people who work under the table for cash, and get the dole on the side.

Agree complety.
    Some people paid thousands in tax and struggle on their 204 euro per week. And some haven't worked in years and live like kings on their dole, rent allowance or council home, cash in hand wages and other benefits.

So the choice is either work like a sucker, report the ones you know are dodging the system and watch as nothing is done, or start claiming like a mad thing as many others are doing.
    I really agree with and can relate to this. It's outrageous the amount of disposable income the supposedly poor people have. You go into a council estate and the amount of satellite dishes.

Portland Row, Dublin 3. Nearest council flats near me for a long time. lol, more new cars and satellite dishes there then the supposidly prosperous area of Dromcondra where I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Dole must be cut.
    It's ridiculously high for long term unemployed. I know a good few people getting the money plus allowances and do not intend, and never have, to get a job. Throw a few nixers for cash in and live between the bookies and the pub.
    Or get knocked up and you're sorted for the next 20 years, why not have another 2 and make a career out of it.
    People getting rewarded for laziness and stupidity.

Social welfare payments take up almost 40% of the state expenditure and it's clearly bleeding the country to death (amongst other things of course). While paying 40% on social welfare is surely better than spending it on - say the defense budget - it's astronomical.

If someone loses their job they should receive for a given period a good percentage of their income. After that they should receive less. And on long term unemployment they should receive a lot less especially when attempts to get them back into employment are failing. Over 200 plus housing and allowances is ridiculous. No incentive to get them off their backsides. Should be cut in half plus a few vouchers or something.

I understand that it's tough if you got made redundant and now you can't afford the 300k mortgage anymore and surely nobody should be left out it the cold. But if for years you aren't able to find a job that sustains your current standard of living the state surely can't be expected to pick up the difference til you reach pension age. If that's what people expect we need to introduce a high direct tax, high PRSI system like in the Scandinavian states but expect to be left with about 40% of your annual gross on the hand.
    People pay what, 6% PRSI which is supposed to fund basic health, unemployment and also basic pension? I can see no entitlement from that contribution to be kept afloat forever. Someone in first year maths can tell you this can't work.

So get a feck1n job and if you can't get it in your town/county/country, tough titty, go somewhere else, learn something new, downscale your standard of living, this is how the world works.

I'm sick of this talk about 'the poor', 'the vulnerable' and all that. While I wouldn't want to see an American system all people seem to know these days is to whinge and whine and scream entitlement and point their fingers on someone else who is allegedly and unjustifiably doing so well and who should suffer first.

realcam wrote: »
    Dole must be cut.
    It's ridiculously high for long term unemployed. I know a good few people getting the money plus allowances and do not intend, and never have, to get a job. Throw a few nixers for cash in and live between the bookies and the pub.
    Or get knocked up and you're sorted for the next 20 years, why not have another 2 and make a career out of it.

Social welfare payments take up almost 40% of the state expenditure and it's clearly bleeding the country to death (amongst other things of course). While paying 40% on social welfare is surely better than spending it on - say the defense budget - it's astronomical.

If someone loses their job they should receive for a given period a good percentage of their income. After that they should receive less. And on long term unemployment they should receive a lot less especially when attempts to get them back into employment are failing. Over 200 plus housing and allowances is ridiculous. No incentive to get them off their backsides. Should be cut in half plus a few vouchers or something.

I understand that it's tough if you got made redundant and now you can't afford the 300k mortgage anymore and surely nobody should be left out it the cold. But if for years you aren't able to find a job that sustains your current standard of living the state surely can't be expected to pick up the difference til you reach pension age. If that's what people expect we need to introduce a high direct tax, high PRSI system like in the Scandinavian states but expect to be left with about 40% of your annual gross on the hand.
    People pay what, 6% PRSI which is supposed to fund basic health, unemployment and also basic pension? I can see no entitlement from that contribution to be kept afloat forever. Someone in first year maths can tell you this can't work.

So get a feck1n job and if you can't get it in your town/county/country, tough titty, go somewhere else, learn something new, downscale your standard of living, this is how the world works.

I'm sick of this talk about 'the poor', 'the vulnerable' and all that. While I wouldn't want to see an American system all people seem to know these days is to whinge and whine and scream entitlement and point their fingers on someone else who is allegedly and unjustifiably doing so well and who should suffer first.

excellent post..but no government would have the balls to do it...besides the only ordinary joe soap they see are mainly families of criminals looking for favours or letters, or the long term dole who are bitchin about their entitlements..these are the only people a TD would normally meet in their clinics and they're not going to risk a backlash in the election over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mealone43

Dole must be cut.

Ahh so you are unemployed? Needless to say you are, as your tripe would indicate to me that you are an uneducated moron.Or else you are a public servant who does not have to reach any standard and gets a huge salary for no output.

excellent post..but no government would have the balls to do it...besides the only ordinary joe soap they see are mainly families of criminals looking for favours or letters, or the long term dole who are bitchin about their entitlements..these are the only people a TD would normally meet in their clinics and they're not going to risk a backlash in the election over this.
    Another moronic answer. No need to comment further.

mealone43 wrote: »
    Ahh so you are unemployed? Needless to say you are, as your tripe would indicate to me that you are an uneducated moron.Or else you are a public servant who does not have to reach any standard and gets a huge salary for no output.

I am neither of the two things. I am in private employment for 15+ years on a decent but not great wage and during that time I have been unemployed for roughly a fortnight in total.

Funny that you dismiss my post so easily as it only takes a bit of common sense to see that we simply can't carry on the way we do. I mean the numbers speak for themselves.

But hey, what's the point of arguing with you as due to your highly educated reply I'd be amazed if you got away with anything but less than a two week ban and you won't be able to reply again. Was nice talking to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I really agree with and can relate to this. It's outrageous the amount of disposable income the supposedly poor people have. You go into a council estate and the amount of satellite dishes. They constantly order their food in, smoke crazy amounts of cigarettes, drink plenty of cans of alcohol which they get delivered to their house and can afford foreign holidays. I saw someone I know on social welfare shopping in Superquinn! Social welfare recipients should not be shopping in Superquinn. The latest phone thing you mentioned is another thing and generally texting and phone calls. They're never out of credit, it's a shambles.

Regardless of your "broader picture" get-out, this is one of the most ridiculous, begrudging, narrow-minded posts I've ever seen on boards.

Everyone in a council estate is a scrounger who shouldn't have a satellite dish? Really?
    Social welfare recipients shouldn't be shopping in Superquinn? No, we should give all those decent people who've fallen on hard times a food voucher for Aldi? Disgraceful sentiment.

People always want to blame others, and to make them take the pain. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
    But there's a hell of a lot of people who've found themselves in tough times through no fault of their own. I believe if you're unemployed but your spouse works over 30 hours per week, regardless of level of salary, they get no mortgage assistance. Should they all have their homes repossessed? Is there enough social/council housing to accommodate this?
    People who find themselves drawing dole after a job loss are having to tighten their belts considerably. They don't deserve to be made homeless, barred from decent shops & generally scapegoated just because events outwith their control have conspired against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Stricter enforcement and policing is required.

Remember someone on welfare will spend 100% of their allowance back into the local economy. Cutting this will take that out of the economy.

• Advertisement

I am neither of the two things. I am in private employment for 15+ years on a decent but not great wage and during that time I have been unemployed for roughly a fortnight in total.

Funny that you dismiss my post so easily as it only takes a bit of common sense to see that we simply can't carry on the way we do. I mean the numbers speak for themselves.

But hey, what's the point of arguing with you as due to your highly educated reply I'd be amazed if you got away with anything but less than a two week ban and you won't be able to reply again. Was nice talking to you.
    Well Laddie, I have been working for 40 years without as much as 1 day unemployment until the past few weeks. I never looked down my nose at people unfortunate to be unemployed as I am not that ignorant. I have made my contributions and will never get back back a fraction of what I am entitled to. I have no time for people who put down unfortunates and I am one of those now. Usually the knockers with no constructive content tend to be morons in my opinion. Anyway hopefully you will never see an unemployed day and if you do then I hope that you will have the same attitude. Nice talking to you also.................................not

Well Laddie, I have been working for 40 years without as much as 1 day unemployment until the past few weeks.

Well thats very good. If - on top of that - you would have also read my post properly you would have noticed that I didn't say a thing against you or people in your situation. I know that anyone could be affected just like that including me.

It's the abuse that I'm on about and also the fact that the 205 a week plus housing & allowances for longtermers don't provide (for many not all) any incentive to go back into employment. Also there is a lot of people having the life of riley on disabilities when really they shouldn't be on them and being a single mother has almost become a career choice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

What age is the OP?

He sounds like an obnoxious 20 year old Arts student at University i.e.makes a lot of noise without saying very much.

The long term unemployed i.e. those who have no interest in working make up about 1-2% of the workforce but yet everyone on welfare should suffer because of this tiny minority? They will always be around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Attack the post not the poster.

Another moronic answer. No need to comment further.

Yeah don't exert your brain to come up with anything more intelligent..
    Again if people aren't going to post arguments or something a tweensy weensy bit cleverer than "moronic answer" then my friend you're the moron not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

big b

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

Why wont they? Other then the obvious practical difficulties of meleagrine elections Christmas has to be the best thing that has ever happened to turkeys. Without it they're numbers would be vastly reduced. If only wild turkeys survived and they were not farmed for food their numbers would be orders of magnitude less.

What age is the OP?

He sounds like an obnoxious 20 year old Arts student at University i.e.makes a lot of noise without saying very much.

The long term unemployed i.e. those who have no interest in working make up about 1-2% of the workforce but yet everyone on welfare should suffer because of this tiny minority? They will always be around.
    And that refers to whom?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

And that refers to whom?????

I would presume the original poster (OP) and leeches who have no interest of getting off the dole. Pretty self explanatory tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Well Laddie, I have been working for 40 years without as much as 1 day unemployment until the past few weeks. I never looked down my nose at people unfortunate to be unemployed as I am not that ignorant. I have made my contributions and will never get back back a fraction of what I am entitled to. I have no time for people who put down unfortunates and I am one of those now. Usually the knockers with no constructive content tend to be morons in my opinion. Anyway hopefully you will never see an unemployed day and if you do then I hope that you will have the same attitude. Nice talking to you also.................................not

The money you paid in taxes was for the day to day running of the state. Reading your posts it sounds like you think you are entitled to all of your taxes back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

they should be put out working for the tidy towns or something

Hey thats a great idea!! What would we call it? Employment scheme? No no that doesnt sound right. Wait! People on the scheme will be employed by the community, lets just call it a Community Employment Scheme.
    Now we'll shorten that to CE scheme and put them up on the FAS jobs website, so that people without jobs will read the first bit of the listing and then think there's a job that they might actually be qualified for only to read the second bit and realise that its only available to the longterm un-employed.
    Nice!

Advertisement