Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut the dole!! Way too many leeches

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

The money you paid in taxes was for the day to day running of the state. Reading your posts it sounds like you think you are entitled to all of your taxes back?

He's talking about his PRSI contributions I assume and he's right in saying that his contributions entitle him to benefits. Don't you think so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 NatDonegal

realcam wrote: »
    It's the abuse that I'm on about and also the fact that the 205 a week plus housing & allowances for longtermers don't provide (for many not all) any incentive to go back into employment. Also there is a lot of people having the life of riley on disabilities when really they shouldn't be on them and being a single mother has almost become a career choice now.

How much ?????

Bills and housing paid and €205 treat money ?? It's my view that social welfare should not be comfortable. But it sounds like they are as well off as many workers that pay taxes to support them.

There are people out there that genuinely need the help. But it should not be available long term for those able-bodied enough to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mealone43

The money you paid in taxes was for the day to day running of the state. Reading your posts it sounds like you think you are entitled to all of your taxes back?
    You would thgink that wouldn't you.............. I dont need to be educated in the running of the state laddie.

When you read properly you will see that I stated "contributions" and not taxes. Go away and try to educate somebody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

mealone43 wrote: »
    When you read peoperly you will see that I stated "contributions" and not taxes. Go away and try to educate somebody else.

Your posts are not condescending in the slightest laddie :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

realcam wrote: »
    Well thats very good. If - on top of that - you would have also read my post properly you would have noticed that I didn't say a thing against you or people in your situation. I know that anyone could be affected just like that including me.

It's the abuse that I'm on about and also the fact that the 205 a week plus housing & allowances for longtermers don't provide (for many not all) any incentive to go back into employment. Also there is a lot of people having the life of riley on disabilities when really they shouldn't be on them and being a single mother has almost become a career choice now.

What single mother has told you they had their child as a career choice?

If you have no evidence of this you should apolagise for such an insensitive, selfish and baseless comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

lmtduffy wrote: »
    What single mother has told you they had their child as a career choice?.

now they are hardly going to say that - are they? But doenst take an expert to know that some people are doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

What single mother has told you they had their child as a career choice?

If you have no evidence of this you should apolagise for such an insensitive, selfish and baseless comment.

It does happen, it is the case.
    I know of a few women of this opinion.

I dont necessarily blame them, as my home area has limited oppertunities to begin with.

Sorry I dont have evidence for you though, but if you wait right over there I'll get you their names and addresses asap :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

segaBOY wrote: »
    Attack the post not the poster.

No back-seat modding.

:p

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No back-seat modding from anyone, thanks. And let's all put the handbags away - any more personal attacks will be dealt with decisively.

• Advertisement

dodgyme wrote: »
    now they are hardly going to say that - are they? But doenst take an expert to know that some people are doing this.

No it doesnt take an expert it takes prejeduce which is what you are displaying.

Honestly do you think there are people that look over their finances and decide that they would be better off financially having a child.

It does happen, it is the case.
    I know of a few women of this opinion.

I dont necessarily blame them, as my home area has limited oppertunities to begin with.

Sorry I dont have evidence for you though, but if you wait right over there I'll get you their names and addresses asap :rolleyes:

as above, im not saying people dont benefit from child supports thats the point of them, put did these women make a financially based decision to become pregnant?

yup

But with no Leaving cert, limited work possibilities and no family support I dont blame women who do this.

I dont blame any social welfare recipients for "playing the system" if they see fit.
    For the same reason I dont blame rich people for availing themselves of tax loopholes...... Its the governments fault for creating the means for people to act like this in the first place.

big b wrote: »
    No back-seat modding.

:o

yup

But with no Leaving cert, limited work possibilities and no family support I dont blame women who do this.

I dont blame any social welfare recipients for "playing the system" if they see fit.
    For the same reason I dont blame rich people for availing themselves of tax loopholes...... Its the governments fault for creating the means for people to act like this in the first place.

No I agree I wouldnt blame any one for taking up any welfare they are entitled to or need,
    but I just want to point out that people do not have kids for these reasons, women are not "playing the system" by having children,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

No I agree I wouldnt blame any one for taking up any welfare they are entitled to or need,
    but I just want to point out that people do not have kids for these reasons, women are not "playing the system" by having children,

I am afraid that there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that there are some women (albeit a tiny minority) that play the system by getting pregnant and see it as a way toward easy money.

I have personally seen and heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I find it ridiculous that the government will not cut the amount of dole paid to people. How many people are leeching the system

we're subsidising people to not work ffs. as well as paying for their accommodation through rent relief. Its a joke

fair enough there are a lot of people who need the €€€€ to survive. But there are so many people on the dole who have never held down a job in their lives. they should be put out working for the tidy towns or something

how many people on the dole are also working a few days for cash - lots. its a disgrace

I agree but this world likes to help the people that have failed

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I agree but this world likes to help the people that have failed

I don't think the cash culture is as prevalent as the 80's, though it definitely still exists, always probably will to some extent.

As for the spongers etc. the only solution is more funding for investigations which will more than pay for itself in the long run.

As regards Single Parents, it's undeniable that pockets of the country have the "career Single Parents". The only solution I can see to it, is more funding to disadvantage areas, which makes the cuts in that area in the budgets all the more stupid.

Personally, I'd be harder on the "Single Parents" with partners living with them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

big b wrote: »
    No back-seat modding.

No back seat modding other back seat modders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

Single mothers payments are an incentive to create single parent families, there is no incentive whatsoever to try and keep a family together, here is a good example;

My partner and I have just had a baby, my partner has now moved down to my home, living here with my mother. I went back to college this year and thus have to spend most of the time in Dublin (other side of the country!) Therefore I have no money whatsoever to contribute at presen to the baby yet my presence in the babys life excludes my partner from claiming the single mothers, also despite the fact that we do not technically live together, with me in Dublin and her down the country, she also cannot claim this benifit because she is living with the fathers family. Because of this we are taking a serious hit in the pocket and she would clearly be better off leaving with the child, it would be worth plenty of money to her, we should have just lied about our situation like everyone else does! I've heard of couples living together and the woman claiming single moms because they have put her down as a 'lodger' in the guys house! We should have pulled a stunt like that :)

• Advertisement

Its not exactly a noble thing to say.... but yes, in your circumstances you should have lied!

Your partner could say your mother is her landlord and it costs €XX per month.

In the unlikely event of an inspection they will find your partner, child and technicaly unrelated landlord mother. Once your away there wouldnt be an issue.

Your working hard in education in dublin away from your child and partner.
    Your doing your bit.... dont worry about using the system to help you.

"had the game baby, not the playa :D"

Interesting link-things have to go bust before the government will take proactive action it seems...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0406/welfare.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

about fcuking time they tightened up on this. annot believe how lax the Irish system still is.

how many eastern european, nigerian and Irish people look the same. (see what I did there...).

of course they should have to produce photo ID to receive money from the the state.

Now, the next thing Hanafin should do is spot checks on the amount of rent people are actually paying in accommodation - i would wager that a lot of people are paying far less than they are claiming for in the rent reliet applications.... and so are actually covering all their rent, or making a profit...

:D
    segaBOY wrote: »
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Stricter enforcement and policing is required.

Remember someone on welfare will spend 100% of their allowance back into the local economy. Cutting this will take that out of the economy.

I think this is a good point. If you cut someone with extra cashes income, they'll not their holiday abroad this year.

It could help keep money in the economy to focus on people who aren't unemployed.

I think it should be cut too though on top of other increases. I don't trust the government to do anything right though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Listening to Hanafin on the radio news it appears that this will be up to the discretion of the P.O. assistant. She was asked a direct question, " If the claimant is known to the Post Office staff, will they have to produce photo I.D.? The answer was no." FFS, why can't they make a rule, apply it universally, and stick to it? You hand in your photo I.D. along with your claimants card or "next please", people will soon get the message. I can just see the hassle in Post offices on Dole day when bedraggled assistants are getting dog's abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Shane-1 wrote: »
    Single mothers payments are an incentive to create single parent families, there is no incentive whatsoever to try and keep a family together, here is a good example;

My partner and I have just had a baby, my partner has now moved down to my home, living here with my mother. I went back to college this year and thus have to spend most of the time in Dublin (other side of the country!) Therefore I have no money whatsoever to contribute at presen to the baby yet my presence in the babys life excludes my partner from claiming the single mothers, also despite the fact that we do not technically live together, with me in Dublin and her down the country, she also cannot claim this benifit because she is living with the fathers family. Because of this we are taking a serious hit in the pocket and she would clearly be better off leaving with the child, it would be worth plenty of money to her, we should have just lied about our situation like everyone else does! I've heard of couples living together and the woman claiming single moms because they have put her down as a 'lodger' in the guys house! We should have pulled a stunt like that :)

you can thank the so called liberal agenda for this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

you can thank the so called liberal agenda for this

Oh golly Irish_bob,here we go .....Tin Hat time methinks....
    My partner and I have just had a baby, my partner has now moved down to my home, living here with my mother. I went back to college this year and thus have to spend most of the time in Dublin (other side of the country!) Therefore I have no money whatsoever to contribute at presen to the baby yet my presence in the babys life excludes my partner from claiming the single mothers,

This is all well and good,BUT surely in what should be the "Normal" run of such things the couple really needed to assess their ability to fund their new baby BEFORE embarking on the entire Famblymaking process ?

As it currently stands our cities and towns are largely surrounded by enclaves largley populated and dominated by groups of feral,violent children whose propensity for violence and large scale anti-social activity are depressingly all too obvious.

In many cases we are now into 2nd or even 3rd generational family support allowance territory and I rather suspect Ms Hanifin and her fellow ministers have been fully appraised of the very real threat to public order if that "Support" system is throttled back.

We as a nation are probably the most savvy in Europe as to our "Entitlements" from the State but equally we prefer to keep schtum as to our RESPONSIBILITIES ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

God lord, I think thats an over reaction if ever there was one! Feral violent children? We live in a quiet cul de sac, Im in college studying a decent course, I know my responsibilities quite well, and well its not as if we actually planned on having the little tike!

My point was only that there is no incentive to hold a family together, we feel as though my partner would be better off heading off on her own and because we dont feel that is right we are getting hit in the pocket, that was my point. Im not bitter that I cant leach the state and sit around drinking cans of Dutch all day! We can get by without the extra welfare system, just makes things more difficult, I was just saying that perhaps in situations like ours the system has got its priorities arseways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

most policies in this state are still hugely skewed towards married couples with children.

its a relic of our past.

Advertisement