Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut the dole!! Way too many leeches

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Cutting the dole in half for those under 20.annnounced by Lenihan. So basiclally anybody unlucky enough to be on the dole at this age and in a desperate economic climate, its emigrate is it, as 100 euro will not go far.

Have to say that was a smart one by the government. I mean people of that situation are the least likely to protest about it as they would not have any special interest groups that could fight for them. Which is unlike the students or the pensioners

• Registered Users Posts: 23 alke

I belive the reason for this cut was to stop the under 20's getting comfortable on the Jobseekers allowance. it's too easy for them to get into a routine of not working playing their Xbox all day and then collect their €200 and blow it on drink and fags and dope.

If you think about it, it's realy a tax on mothers who would probably get a few quid for their keep. I can't see a mother asking their little darlings to part with any of their miesly €100.

I liked what Rory Quinn said about the Christmas bonus "What the minister has effectivly done is killed santy for loads of little boys and girls". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I hope the little boys and girls weren't watching...

Mum, why is that man saying they've killed Santy... :D

This cut in dole for Under 21s might encourage a few more to stay in school, go to college, get further training, or um let me see. GET A JOB

Fully support this cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mealone43

NatDonegal wrote: »
    That is a great idea... food vouchers would help keep the money in the country (stop it being spent across the border) ... and keep the ones that are abusing social welfare from spending it on booze and cigarettes... could it be introduced easily enough ?
    And what about the ones who are not abusing the system and cant get employment because of ageism in Ireland or the jobs are not there because of FF mismanagement?They have paid for their "dole" through sometimes lifelong contributions. Very easy to be critical when you are lucky enoufgh to be in fukll time employment. Hope you never have to be on the labour, no maybe it would be good that you get a year or two on the labour and I wonder how your tune would sound then?

This cut in dole for Under 21s might encourage a few more to stay in school, go to college, get further training, or um let me see. GET A JOB

Fully support this cut.
    Not in total agreement but mostly. That is ok for the kids who can and are capable of getting a job or can find a job that does not exist but I agree that it might encourage a few to return yto college or get further training.

• Advertisement

realismpol wrote: »
    Yes and im sure if we investigated the government we'd find a lot of dirty linen hidden in the closet. But we all know thats not going to happen. Its atttitudes like mine? No its not attitude's like mine that has caused this problem its greedy corporate financial mismangement and crooks of the highest level that have put us in this position. Scamming the dole office however wrong it is didn't ruin the economy as far as im aware. But thats always how the rich and powerful get their way by having people at the lower level fight amongst each other over trivial issues. Apparently from the above comments its working too. When the economy was doing well not one person was complaining about dole abuse. Its only now that people feel aggrieved its all coming out.

Correcting the abuses in the social welfare system is a good start to fixing problems but in regards to the current economic chaos we find ourselves in its tandtamount to placing a sandbag in an overflooded river.

These people are overwhelmed enough as it is without having to write letters out to people. If anything it should be a seperate department dealing with this. And at the rate our unemployment is going it will be at 500,000 letters a week if thats the case. Who's going to pay for all the expenses?

agreed. I guess you got your wish today with the budget annoucements. Under 20's to make 100 a week down 104. Im not concerned about johnny scumbag scamming the dole office. Im concerned about how the super wealthy are playing people off against each other and not paying a cent from their own coffers to taxation. Just look at the salaries the politicans are making. A pension after 3 years ffs whilst the rest of us are forced to pay a levy. Ministers taking state assests such as air corps helicopters to ferry themselves around during economic chaos at the cost of the taxpayers whilst their hired drivers sit around. Junior ministers working 1 and a half days a week on huge salaries, getting their mortages paid off whilst the rest of people stuggle. This is where the real scam lies.
    Hear Hear, pity more people in the country did not express those sentiments and convey them to Cowan and Co. But "we" put those sons of corruption into power and so we need to get them out. I suspect when the cut gets deeper that we will see some form of civil unrest.

realismpol wrote: »
    Agreed we need to exterminate these gypsies similar to what the nazis done during ww2. In fact i suggest we open up concentration camps for this vile human filth who have been invading our shores. They are like animals really, subhumans when you think about it. They have nothing to do in life but come over here to get our free generosity. We irish have never done that in the past, i mean emmigrating to other countries. No all they do is steal jobs from the valiant irish workers who clean the toilets and do the jobs the foreigners who sponge off the dole won't do. I second your recommendation only i say we need to exterminate them to perserve the pure clean racialness of our country. Next they'll be after our women...just you wait and see..you heard it here first.

<MOD>Before anyone else reports this post, I invite you to consider the word 'irony'.</MOD>
    Mod's friend no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Cutting the dole in half for those under 20.annnounced by Lenihan. So basiclally anybody unlucky enough to be on the dole at this age and in a desperate economic climate, its emigrate is it, as 100 euro will not go far.

As Mary Hannafin explained it, the justification for the cut in dole for 18-20 year olds is to provide an incentive to them to take a FAS course as 18-20 year olds with no qualifications, that are jobless and not in 3rd level courses are far more likely to remain jobless for life. She said that if they took a FAS course then their regular dole payment would be restored.

When asked if there were enough places on FAS courses to cater for the increased demand, she didn't really give a definite answer.

So what's the likelihood that they have actually made any provision to ensure that there are enough places on FAS courses for all the extra applicants that this dole cut is sure to prompt ? The governments' past record wouldn't inspire confidence, but if the measure is truly designed to encourage people to take training courses rather than a measure designed solely to save cash, then they would obviously have provided extra funds for FAS to ensure a place for everyone who wants one. Time will tell on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

thebman wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how far a 100 euro a week goes for someone with very few expenses or responsibilities.

Here in Ireland with the rip off prices for most things?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

heyjude wrote: »
    As Mary Hannafin explained it, the justification for the cut in dole for 18-20 year olds is to provide an incentive to them to take a FAS course as 18-20 year olds with no qualifications, that are jobless and not in 3rd level courses are far more likely to remain jobless for life. She said that if they took a FAS course then their regular dole payment would be restored.

When asked if there were enough places on FAS courses to cater for the increased demand, she didn't really give a definite answer.

So what's the likelihood that they have actually made any provision to ensure that there are enough places on FAS courses for all the extra applicants that this dole cut is sure to prompt ? The governments' past record wouldn't inspire confidence, but if the measure is truly designed to encourage people to take training courses rather than a measure designed solely to save cash, then they would obviously have provided extra funds for FAS to ensure a place for everyone who wants one. Time will tell on that one.

There will not be near enough places on any of the schemes, for these young people. At a time of unprecedented economic crisis it is wrong to cut the money unless alternatives are guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i find it funny that we often hear how those who are pissed off with ciggarettes and alcohol duty haven been raised or vat have no problem with heading up north yet at the same time they whinge about the dole being ever so slightly being tinkered with , if northerners on 60 pounds a week can survive then surely southerners on 204 a week( albeit now minus the xmas bonus ) can survive shopping north of the border

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

alke wrote: »
    I belive the reason for this cut was to stop the under 20's getting comfortable on the Jobseekers allowance. it's too easy for them to get into a routine of not working playing their Xbox all day and then collect their €200 and blow it on drink and fags and dope.

A worthy idea, I was in the UK during the 80s Recession and "everyone" was on the dole, and you do get sucked into this black hole of sitting around all day with nothing to do and no motivation to change things. People used to sneer at you and ask "are you even looking for work?" yes actually I am, you can't sign on the dole unless you are available for and actively seeking work (not that anyone seemed to check on that!) I was scorned by a woman who said she'd found me a job and I'd refused it. She found a job that meant spending hours standing bent over a workbench in a factory - I have a problem with my neck caused by an accident I had as a child and although it's not enough to put me on disability it does restrict what I can do for a living, and hunching over a work space is one thing I can't do (I washed dishes in a cafe one summer and after three weeks I couldn't turn my head left or right). I explained this to the woman who practically spat in my face as "that's no excuse"

No it's not an excuse it's a reason. And just becuase I couldn't (not wouldn't) do that job didn't mean I wasn't willing to do any job full stop. I did eventually get a job in a shop watching for shoplifters ... and I caught quite a few too!

There are people in some areas of Britain who are in their 40s and have never worked a day in their lives, they don't have any work "ethic", they've never worked, they have no idea what it's like to get up, get ready, go to work, do a days work, then come home of an evening and pick up a pay packet at the end of the week (or month as the case may be).

I saw a programme on TV one day that wasn't about unemployment as such but this middle aged couple bought a run down "house" (it was more a shed) and their two teenage sons just sat on their arses all say moaning about not having a TV/social life/whatever. Once day the dad lost his rag and ordered them to help him fix the roof, so they got up and helped him. Result? Complete change in their attitude, they stopped sitting slumped in chairs whinging and started lending a hand around the place.

Maybe if long term unemployed were allowed to do some voluntary work it'd help put them into the necessary mindset to want to get a full-time permanent job (if such a thing exists these days?)
    If you think about it, it's realy a tax on mothers who would probably get a few quid for their keep. I can't see a mother asking their little darlings to part with any of their miesly €100.

My mother would be taking the whole €100 off me :( She's been after me to pay her back for looking after me when I was a baby. (and no, that's not a joke, she nearly kicked me out of the house when she picked up her last child benefit payment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

Fully support this cut.

This is sh1te!
    It is obvious from your point that we need to spend a lot more on education because where do you suggest these jobs come from when there is approx. a thousand jobs being lost a day. I as a tax payer would rather see my tax money going on helping the people who are after losing their jobs than on bonus's for bank managers, expenses for td's, nameless unknown junior ministers all of them! who in turn have run this country into the ground. R.I.P Ireland.........
    From reading down through the comments the government have you's exactly where they want........Divided and Screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

Also, during previous recessions as bad as they were there was the oppurtunity to emigrate quite easily (America,Australia,UK etc) the difference this time around is the fact that were not the only one's that are f*cked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Here in Ireland with the rip off prices for most things?

Yes prices aren't that expensive here. You can feed yourself easily on a 100 euro a week with money left over if you shop for cheap prices properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Of all the measures taken today the one I fully support is the halving of dole payments to those under 20. In socio economic deprived areas there's a common trend of young people when they hit 18 being send in to "collect the dole". At least now these lads / lassies might think about going to college or doing a training course. Furthermore I hope that the measures annouced today are took in line with other benefits like cutting FAS course payments. A lad I knew was getting 700 odd a week from FAS to do a blocklaying course (abeit 2 yrs ago and in the last yr of his apprenticeship). How in ever.... FFS :rolleyes: I didn't get much money to go to college (bar a small grant ) and I spent 6yrs of my lfe there breaking my balls working in college and at a job often times above 20hr a week. I remember 1 summer I had 2 jobs on the go and used not get home until 9pm having got up at 7am that morning. Did that for 4 months. Other summers were similer.

O yeah, that and politicans salaries being cut as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

yes a lot of people deserve support - their dole will not be affected. And nor should it be

however, the layabouts who left school early to take up residence on the dole as it was easy money will now have to get up off their arses and do something with themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Seanmcn

As a 19year old on the Dole I'm extreemly annoyed with this cut. 100E a week, how am I supposed to afford to live on that? With Rent Allowance being cut aswell that 100E now has to do me for rent + bills + food + clothes.
    The only thing this cut will introduce is an increase of crime in my mind. You've made it impossible for young people to live in this country and once again I feel screwed over by the goverment! "Thank you very much for paying your taxes when you worked, **** you and here's a hundred euro" - Why thank you very ****ing much. Emigration is looking like the only way out of this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

As a 19year old on the Dole I'm extreemly annoyed with this cut. 100E a week, how am I supposed to afford to live on that? With Rent Allowance being cut aswell that 100E now has to do me for rent + bills + food + clothes.
    The only thing this cut will introduce is an increase of crime in my mind. You've made it impossible for young people to live in this country and once again I feel screwed over by the goverment! "Thank you very much for paying your taxes when you worked, **** you and here's a hundred euro" - Why thank you very ****ing much. Emigration is looking like the only way out of this one!

You won't be affected, only new applicants. Also the days of unskilled emigration are over. If you are a 19 year old with no skills you may as well stay at home with roof over your head. Its a globalised market now, you are competing with millions of hard working Eastern Europeans, Chinese, Indians for both qualified and low-paid work. Theres a high probability of you go abroad, you'll end up in a far worse state than in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Seanmcn wrote: »

Have you considered some education ?

Get it while it's still free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

The Muppet wrote: »
    Whats that got to do with it, they still have to eat and clothe themselves on €15 a day now.

When I was a student (not so long ago) I worked during the summer and managed living on under €100 a week for food and clothes quite easily.

Here's a tip for them-it's called Lidl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

I am gone back to college again, no free fees etc so paying all my own way, I survive each week on less than 60quid, it can be done! And Im a hungry backstard who eats everything around him, and I get a few drinks out of that, and buses to and from college everyday, its easily done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

how come folk up north can survive on their £60 a week yet down here 210euro is barely enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

lmimmfn wrote: »
    how come folk up north can survive on their £60 a week yet down here 210euro is barely enough?

Simply put,because this country is a rip-off.I have travelled a lot throughout Europe this year.My conclusion is that we are paying too much for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Simply put,because this country is a rip-off.I have travelled a lot throughout Europe this year.My conclusion is that we are paying too much for everything.

i read a letter to the editor in some paper in the last few weeks

the writer was from monaghan , his letter went like this

if an unemployed person in neighbouring tyrone can survive on 60 pound a week shopping in eniskillen then surely some unemployed person in castleblaney can also survive on 204 euro a week shopping in (ENISKILLEN)

irish_bob wrote: »
    i read a letter to the editor in some paper in the last few weeks

the writer was from monaghan , his letter went like this

if an unemployed person in neighbouring tyrone can survive on 60 pound a week shopping in eniskillen then surely some unemployed person in castleblaney can also survive on 204 euro a week shopping in (ENISKILLEN)

Well who are these people? does one have a family? Is all they have in common is their unemployment? Can you post a link? Can this reader be cited as unbiased? Im not being smart- Im genuinely interested.I want to read that letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

What are the other benefits boths are entitled to and what is the difference in cost of living?

Simply quoting the jobseeker benefit is not good enough on its own as other factors contribute.

No point assigning variable x a value while leaving y and z undefined.

thebman wrote: »
    What are the other benefits boths are entitled to and what is the difference in cost of living?

Simply quoting the jobseeker benefit is not good enough on its own as other factors contribute.

No point assigning variable x a value while leaving y and z undefined.
    In all honesty theres absolutely 0 point in going through each and every benefit on both sides simply because they all differ bar base payment.

The cost of living is neglible if someone on the dole is receiving most of their rent on rent allowance and can shop up north in any shape or form

Put it like this, its possible on welfare to stay at home looking after 2 kids, have a working partner on the black and get 700euro per week on all the welfare + whatever is earned black.

In all honesty theres absolutely 0 point in going through each and every benefit on both sides simply because they all differ bar base payment.

The cost of living is neglible if someone on the dole is receiving most of their rent on rent allowance and can shop up north in any shape or form

Put it like this, its possible on welfare to stay at home looking after 2 kids, have a working partner on the black and get 700euro per week on all the welfare + whatever is earned black.

Vague arguement.

• Advertisement

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Vague arguement.
    even more vague response

Advertisement