Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In Car Video Recording

• 04-04-2009 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭

Following on from the N55 thread.

Does anyone have an in car video recording system and how do you find it.

I think one of the problems might be the quality of video and secondly the cost.

Anyone else thinking of getting one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'd love to get one, AFAIK it involves effort, of which I don't have. I think cormie on here has one, along with a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭trackcar

I heard of a haulier being asked by his insurance company to fit if to the trucks as a way of reducing his insurance premium, dont know of the cost involved, drivers were not to keen on having a camera in the cab but its mounted on the windscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if its one of those ones with an accelerometer/gyroscope in it that monitors how your driving dont buy one, its a conflict of intrest for you to be here on the internet with me and own such a device

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

if its one of those ones with an accelerometer/gyroscope in it that monitors how your driving dont buy one, its a conflict of intrest for you to be here on the internet with me and own such a device

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Camera + record trigger on the steeringwheel / control stub, record to SD, powered off 12V or 5V.
    The mounting would probably be the most expensive part.

An extension of that, use fibre-optic to capture video from say the 4 corners of the roof (2 front, 2 rear facing) to give near-panoramic view, fed back to recording black box in the boot. GPS loc and timestamps + number plates = conviction for the lunatics.

As long as it can pick up number plates of sales monkeys overtaking on uphill blind corners, I'd be happy to shell out a grand or so for such a setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Have seen one of the ones fitted to buses in London. Gives time, date etc as well as speed, turning signals, brakes, external temperature and is of good quality. Not a shabby piece of kit but more expensive than what the OP wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The one I have has the shock sensor and built in GPS tracking. You need to run it on it's own program. Here's a sample of playback on the program. The quality at night isn't the best, there's a few more videos on my channel for anyone interested:

How much did that setup cost you cormie?

I bought it on ebay for $119, had to get it shipped to CAN for $61 I think to a friend who was on her way to Ireland, package got delayed at customs, had to pay customs release fee and then have it shipped to ireland, so it ended up costing a bit more.

You can watch the above video in HD here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8rLIoH_Oc&fmt=22

Far far better than the above embedded, you can see it much clearer.

Thanks, what is the make / model? Price sounds good (even if there is a hit for customs etc) for what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

any idea what it is called? or a link to one?

It's the Xdriven DRS1100, you probably wont get it at that price anywhere now. The guy I got it off was on Ebay and he had a good few. The cheapest I found it elsewhere was about $299 ex shipping.

This is what I had to go through to get it: http://80charactermoan.wordpress.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It's out there for US$265 with free shipping:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/UBONE-X-Driven-DRS-1100-PRO-Driving-Recording-GPS-_W0QQitemZ120397058389QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090325?IMSfp=TL090325161007r16931

I got one from the UK at Christmas, it's a pretty good bit of kit; thinking of getting a second one for the rear windscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Maplins also do a similar system don't know the local price buts its £250 in the UK, I don't have one so I'm not sure what the quality is like.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=228041

blahblah06 wrote: »

Blahblah, I'll reply to your PM here :)

Set up was easy, the most difficult part was hiding the wires, which was easy too really. Also, with regards to how often I have to delete the vidjoes, well because the memory card I have is only 1gb, it only records about 4hrs on the settings I have it, which is fine really, I don't need to, but I do take the card in every few weeks to delete all the shocks from bumps it records sometimes, just to free up the space, but you don't need to do this, unless the card is taken up with ALL shock videos if you get me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

so cormie if i put in a bigger sd card it would record for longer. this sounds like a great piece of kit. i drive a cab and been in two accidents this year but this thing could be great. pity there is not to end of the cam one for outside one for inside

You could always buy 2 :)

I think it takes a max of an 8gb card, I got one, but it's not compatible :( but yeah, if you got one that worked, it would be able to record I think about 60 or so hours continuous on the worst quality, and about 20 or so on the best quality

So if anyone has a spare 8gb SD card and wants to swap for a brand new one let me know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

cormie i think u have me sold. how was your card not compatible. sorry for wrecking ur head.

would this do http://cgi.ebay.ie/8GB-SANDISK-SD-SDHC-MEMORY-CARD-FOR-CASIO-CANON-KODAK_W0QQitemZ320343987818QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessories_MemoryCards?hash=item320343987818&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

do i have to turn this system on every time i get in and out of the car or is it connected to the cars power

Just some cards are compatible with some things and others aren't I think? I'd need to test a rake of 8gb cards to see if it'll actually work with an 8gb, could just be 4gb max?

It connects to cigarette adaptor, so it depends on your car, some cut the power to them when the engine is off, others don't, my van doesn't so I need to plug it in/out each time I get in, it's become just as routine as my seatbelt though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

When I get a round tuit, I plan to wire mine to an ignition switched supply so that it comes to life when I start the car and switches off when I stop.
    Or more likely, I'll do that and wire it through a changeover switch so that I can switch it on when the car's parked in public or whatever.

For the moment though, I'm doing as cormie is doing: plugging in the cigarette lighter plug as part of the start up routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

Thinking about getting a similar unit as discussed above

Can anyone suggest the best value for money out there? I'm not sure if i need the GPS function but with the ground i'm covering I'd certainly be interested in the recording system.

What is the main difference with functionality between the units

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

cormie wrote: »
    Blahblah, I'll reply to your PM here :)

Set up was easy, the most difficult part was hiding the wires, which was easy too really. Also, with regards to how often I have to delete the vidjoes, well because the memory card I have is only 1gb, it only records about 4hrs on the settings I have it, which is fine really, I don't need to, but I do take the card in every few weeks to delete all the shocks from bumps it records sometimes, just to free up the space, but you don't need to do this, unless the card is taken up with ALL shock videos if you get me :)

What is the picture quality like. Can you read reg plates etc. youtube videos seem to demonstrate poor picture quality

I've changed settings to the best now so I'll post another video or two in the next few days to demonstrate the best quality.

Here's a video in HD of mine which looks much better than the lower quality youtube vids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgazQtBCQA&fmt=22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

white P i wouldent use any of them cameras for a in car camera.. they are mostly for tracks or rallying...

looks like ill be able to get one of them gps ones soon :)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Does it lower your isurance at all???

Insurance companies here probably don't even know of such devices :( If being a non drinker doesn't lower insurance, then not much would!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Dunno what make or model it is(maybe someone knows) but the Guards seem to have a few, featured in this video here, quality is quite good

Featured at 5.20.

DO NOT DISCUSS ANY OTHER PART OF THE VIDEO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

This is one bit of kit i plan on fitting to my car in the very near future. Priceless to have in the event of an accident!

Advertisement