Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking with Garlic/Onions ...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Mr.David wrote: »
    Because its fresh and doesnt come in a tube?

I don't care.

I'm not paying for a product that's been produced over 4,500 miles away and shipped into this country at a cost that deliberately undercuts local producers to increase China's market share, just because my supermarket buys it for their own profit margins even when there is plenty of local produce available, and I'd rather buy the local produce even though it's been processed. The flavour of the processed product is still good because it's a refrigerated product that hasn't been too wildly adulterated in processing.

I'm growing my own this year for use next year, because I just won't buy Chinese produce when Australia makes it's own.

Same reason I refused to buy New Zealand apples on sale in Sainsburys in Surrey when I lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Berbatov

rocknchef wrote: »
    Im in Ireland and i grow my own. then when i have an hour to spare I peel and chop and preserve in olive oil in an air tight container and keep in the fridge.

Grow your own! Please do tell how? I'd love to do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

Berbatov wrote: »
    Grow your own! Please do tell how? I'd love to do that

simple really get a seed tray or some small pots use some good compost with a little soil mixed in. get your bulb of garlic and carefully take the cloves from it. place them about the lenght of your finger in the soil with the root end down so the point is sticking up cover and keep in doors untill all frost has passed maybe on a south facing window.keep the soil moist as they use through alot of water while germinating. if you are planting outside keep about 4"-6" between rows.

I am not a gardener this is just how i done it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Berbatov

Ok thanks, I'll give it a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DiscoGal

In relation to the smell of onion/garlic on your hands, Palmolive do an odour neutralising soap, it's a clear bottle with green liquid. Works a treat :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Touching the stainless steel tap when washing works an absolute treat! Possibly the best tip I have ever got on Boards!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I've heard that it's best not to use hot water when you're washing your hands after chopping onion/garlic as the heat opens the pores in your hands and the oil from the garlic/onion gets in. *shrug*

Advertisement