Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord liability for break in?

Options
  • 04-04-2009 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

My apartment was burgled recently. I live in an apartment complex and the week before the burglary myself and other tenants noticed one of the entrance doors was not locking correctly meaning anyone could gain access. We reported this to the complex owner however he failed to fix this. It emerged that the burglars had gained access to the building through this door. Is he liable for any losses we incurred from the robbery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

"Probably not" is the unfortunate answer - I'm sure there'll be something in your lease about it.

I'm confused between "landlord" and "complex owner". Does your landlord own the entire building, and rents out all units?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

if you informed him in writing of this fact, you could try and take him to small claims. It only costs a small fee to apply so even if you don't win, you haven't lost much.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

another member whos a bit more of a legal eagle than me will clear this up but from your post i understand, you rent an apartment from your landlord who bought it in an apartment complex. You informed the owner of the complex.
    so in turn, its the complex who are liable. IF as stated above, you put it in writing to them, the garda specifically pointed this to be the route of entry, its for security purpose and obviously gave them easy access then yes, the small claims court is the way to get your money back for items damaged/stolen.
    Usually 80euro although rates may have changed since i last checked it out.

Advertisement