Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germany -> Ireland! Questions about living in Galway...

Options
  • 01-04-2009 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello,
    I am probably moving to Galway in May for an internship of 6 month, so I am currently looking for possible accomdation and stuff....

I am from Germany and have never been to Ireland before...

My main goal: Get to work every day fast and easy!
    As my work will be in parkmore industrial estate I will probably have to take a bus from the city centre...right?
    Have been on Eireen site already, but not sure which bus line to take or where exactly the bus stops are on the way to work when I look on a map.
    When I am looking for a room, I want to make sure the place is ideally next to a bus stop on the way to the parkmore business center.

Does annyone know, which bus no. I have to take, or where to find a map showing the bus stops??

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You could rent a place in Doughiska, there's a bus (number 9) that goes by every 15 minutes along that route to Parkmore and in the other direction to Eyre Square. Alternatively, it's close enough to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Bike is the best option - more reliable than the number 9 bus.

Doughiska and Ballybrit area are the most likely accommodation options.

Check out www.daft.ie and the Galway Advertiser newspaper online (classified section of the virtual newspaper).

Maybe best not to commit to living in a particular area for the first week though. Ask your work colleagues what they do. Some may drive past the centre and offer you a lift. Centre is nicest place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The 9 bus goes from Eyre Square out College Road and the Dublin Road past Renmore then through Doughiska to Parkmore. Anywhere in the city centre is only 10 minutes walk at most from the bus terminus. Doughiska is cheaper to live, and has a good bus service to the city centre, also its close enough to cycle to Parkmore (5-10 mins), or walk (20-30 mins).
    If you're only here for 6 months and you want to experience Galway, you'll probably enjoy living in town more - its more lively and there will be lots going on during the summer months, plus you don't have to get a taxi home as the last bus leaves at 11.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Are you going to be working in SAP?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zzippy wrote: »
    The 9 bus goes from Eyre Square out College Road and the Dublin Road past Renmore then through Doughiska to Parkmore. Anywhere in the city centre is only 10 minutes walk at most from the bus terminus. Doughiska is cheaper to live, and has a good bus service to the city centre, also its close enough to cycle to Parkmore (5-10 mins), or walk (20-30 mins).
    If you're only here for 6 months and you want to experience Galway, you'll probably enjoy living in town more - its more lively and there will be lots going on during the summer months, plus you don't have to get a taxi home as the last bus leaves at 11.30.

Agree with all that, especially the suggestion to live in the city-centre-ish (Foster Court, The Elms, Augustine St/Middle St/Merchants Rd). Some bits of the centre (Shop St, High St, Quay St, Eyre Square townhouses) are VERY loud at night (til 4am!) in summer.

Another option is Roscam: just across the road from Doughiska, serviced by the same bus, but a bit nicer neighbourhood. Renmore is a more established neighbourhood, a lot closer to town and also on the 9 bus route. Merlin Park is in-between the two, but has lots of students living there.

Someone suggested Ballybrit: this is fine if you're brave enough to walk or bicycle (suggest you look at the traffic in person first before deciding that: it's pretty mad), but really bad if you want to use the bus.

Places to avoid: Ballybane/Castlepark (no direct transport links .. and some other reasons too!), Westside, Tirellan, Rahoon (all those same "other" reasons). Also Knocknacarra, Barna, Shantalla, Newcastle, Claddagh, Salthill (all on the wrong side of the river, and a pain from a transport perspective).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

JustMary wrote: »
    Places to avoid: Ballybane/Castlepark (no direct transport links .. and some other reasons too!), Westside, Tirellan, Rahoon (all those same "other" reasons).

Fair play for squeezing so much snobbery into one post. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Most of Westside is grand and also close to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

There is a parkmore industrial estate bus that runs from 7am in the morning from eyre square with stops through the city. It leaves parkmore direct into the square at 4pm. Its a workers bus only very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

If you're from Germany be prepared to make a MASSIVE drop in the quality of Bus services. Dont expect it to be ANYTHING like what you get in Germany. Expect a disaster. Consider the timetable as theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

If you can find a timetable (they only seem to exist at the first and the last stop of a bus route, but nowhere inbetween).

There's the number 9 bus, but it's pretty unreliable I've been told (I refuse to take public transport until they actually provide a better service, so I'm not the best source). Plus there's no bus shelter, so prepare to get soaked on our lovely summer days in Galway.

You could also mail your contact in your new job (SAP?), and ask if anyone has a room going for 6 months, solving a couple of problems with the one stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

All the people saying the bus on the 9 route is unreliable - do you actually take this bus on a regular basis??
    I live in Doughiska and use the bus regularly, its timetabled for every 15 minutes during the day and every 30 mins in the evening, and tbh its usually there on time. If I have one complaint its that some of the drivers actually leave early and beat the timetable...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Galway isn't a city by European standards, it's very small yet has terrible traffic. If I was living in the city I'd seriously consider using a bike to avoid the traffic and I have a car, love to drive and I'm also unfit. But the traffic is that bad, at times it can be quicker to walk across the city rather than drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Another option is Roscam: just across the road from Doughiska, serviced by the same bus, but a bit nicer neighbourhood. Renmore is a more established neighbourhood, a lot closer to town and also on the 9 bus route. Merlin Park is in-between the two, but has lots of students living there.

Places to avoid: Ballybane/Castlepark (no direct transport links .. and some other reasons too!), Westside, Tirellan, Rahoon (all those same "other" reasons). Also Knocknacarra, Barna, Shantalla, Newcastle, Claddagh, Salthill (all on the wrong side of the river, and a pain from a transport perspective).

Really? Avoid these areas?
    Have to say would disagree with your "other reason" selection.

Rahoon in particular has plenty of 'posher bits' and you could have just as easily lumped it in the too far bracket (further than Shantalla for example). It also stretches waaay up into bighousedom (see lovely map in other post by someone - sorry forget who)
    But Claddagh? I consider that pretty much City Centre, though on the other side of the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 new123

WOW, thank you so much for the numerous responses!

I have a better picture now and know on which areas to concentrate during my room search.
    Priceless insider information!
    Guess would prefer to live in the city center as it is supposed to be pretty...so, bus no 9 it is then and I will prepare myself for timetable-difficulties!

Although your are right that in germany there probably exists a map and a plan and than another map and another plan for almost any bus line and any bus stop in even the smallest cities (We tend to document EVERYTHING in written form!), the timetables are also not that reliable... I guess that is they way it is in public traffic.
    Will try the cycle-option as an alternative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

new123 wrote: »

I have a better picture now and know on which areas to concentrate during my room search.
    Guess would prefer to live in the city center as it is supposed to be pretty...so, bus no 9 it is then and I will prepare myself for timetable-difficulties!

Although your are right that in germany there probably exists a map and a plan and than another map and another plan for almost any bus line and any bus stop in even the smallest cities (We tend to document EVERYTHING in written form!), the timetables are also not that reliable... I guess that is they way it is in public traffic.

on the cycling: it's a great way of getting around Galway, you'll fly in in less than half the time it would take by car or bus most times. However, most drivers pretend cyclists don't exist so you have to have your wits about you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

However, most drivers pretend cyclists don't exist so you have to have your wits about you!

We don't pretend you're not there, we just don't care...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

But be prepared for the drizzle (Sprühregen in german I think) in Galway if youre cycling.
    Germans always think germany is rainy. Galway will put that in perspective very quickly and make germany seem like some tropical paradise!!
    The only thing is that Galway has great pubs where you can escape the rain and wind!

Oh. and at night it is not near as safe as Germany either. Nothing really to worry if you are sensible, just dont walk in quiet areas on your own if youre a woman.
    Heres a sad story (in german) of a Swiss girl who was murdered a couple of years back on a quiet path along the railway from town out to Renmore Barracks.
    http://www.blick.ch/news/ausland/schweizerin-18-in-irland-ermordet-73290

on the cycling: it's a great way of getting around Galway, you'll fly in in less than half the time it would take by car or bus most times. However, most drivers pretend cyclists don't exist so you have to have your wits about you!
    Or you could wear a costume. I find superman really effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I love all this talk of traffic gridlock in Galway.
    Yes its bad in places - but to be honest, I can get from Knocknacarra to Parkmore in 15-20 minutes in the morning.
    If its bad, that might stretch to 25-30 mins.

All you have to do is use your noggin, plan the time you leave & a route that avoids most of the traffic and you'll be sorted.

I don't think its as bad as people make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I mostly agree (I travel knocknacarra to mervue in the morning), but that's probably because I (and I'm guessing you) work flexitime and can pretty much pick the time we go into work. On the few occasions when I've had to get into work for 9 the traffic has been really bad and turns a normal 15 minute journey into a 35-40 minute ordeal, no matter which route you take.

I guess I'm lucky to be able to pick when I go in, cause I normally leave it till after 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Working in Parkmore does have the advantage that you're going in the opposite direction to traffic most times. I live in Mervue and I have to say it's nice to be flaking down the dual carriageway to work in the morning while the traffic on the other side of the DC is backed up from one roundabout to the next. It's never taken me longer than ten minutes to get to work even when I leave at the times of heaviest traffic, and usually only five minutes.

I'd be reluctant to cycle in Galway though, the roads are so narrow in a lot of places and there are flip all cycle paths to speak of (are there any?), and drivers can be so inconsiderate. Mind you I cycled everywhere for years in Dublin and emerged unscathed. Galway still makes me a bit nervous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

It would help if cyclists followed a few common sense ideas like lights on their bikes, wear fluorescent material etc.
    I have cycled in many places and it amazes me the number of cyclists in Galway who dont do either. As a car driver as well, anyone wearing a fluorescent yellow jacket is seen straight away.
    As for the poster saying it is safer in Germany they obviously havent been to Hamburg ;) - Galway is a very safe city in comparison to any other city I have been to. The murder of the poor Swiss girl was appalling but thankfully is a very very uncommon event

Webbs wrote: »
    It would help if cyclists followed a few common sense ideas like lights on their bikes, wear fluorescent material etc.
    Muuhh but it makes you look stupid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Hello,
    I am probably moving to Galway in May for an internship of 6 month, so I am currently looking for possible accomdation and stuff....

I am from Germany and have never been to Ireland before...

My main goal: Get to work every day fast and easy!
    As my work will be in parkmore industrial estate I will probably have to take a bus from the city centre...right?
    Have been on Eireen site already, but not sure which bus line to take or where exactly the bus stops are on the way to work when I look on a map.
    When I am looking for a room, I want to make sure the place is ideally next to a bus stop on the way to the parkmore business center.

Does annyone know, which bus no. I have to take, or where to find a map showing the bus stops??

Thanks in advance...

Wie gesagt, öffentliche Verkehrsmittel bei uns ist sehr schlecht. Man muss immer einige Minuten früh sein, obwohl der Bus/Zug hat fast immer Verspätung.

Es gibt oft Streit, wenn Sie aussteigen wollen aber der Bus nicht an allen sog. Bus Éireann Bushaltestellen haltet!

Am besten wohnen Sie im Stadtzentrum. Fast alle Busse fährt von Eyre Square ab. Galway ist ziemlich klein und wir haben noch keine S-Bahn -- nur Busse für Nahverkehr.

Ich möchte Ihnen erzählen, dass eine Stadtführung von Galway wird von der Uni am 9. Mai gegeben, wenn Sie Interesse daran haben (kostenlos). Ich kann mehr Infos geben.

Ich wünsche Ihnen eine tolle Erfahrung bei uns. Hoffentlich mache ich nächtes Jahr auch ein Praktum bei euch!

Most of Westside is grand and also close to town.

Aye. And a few bits aren't.

A kid who's just got here from Germany might not be able to spot which is which easily. So I'm totally unrepentant about suggesting that s/he lives elsewhere. If that's "snobbery", then so be it.

:D

If you're from Germany be prepared to make a MASSIVE drop in the quality of Bus services.

And most other services too. Except perhaps for the number of pubs per person, and the number of street musicians.

inisboffin wrote: »
    But Claddagh? I consider that pretty much City Centre, though on the other side of the river.

Had to draw a line somewhere, thought the river was the easiest way to do it. You could make the argument about Lower Salthill too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Aye. And a few bits aren't.

A kid who's just got here from Germany might not be able to spot which is which easily. So I'm totally unrepentant about suggesting that s/he lives elsewhere. If that's "snobbery", then so be it.

:D

Just curious as to which parts of the giant barony of Rahoon that you consider to be 'ghetto'? :P

If I was taking the 'kid from Germany' angle, then I would not suggest town either! Plenty of parts of city centre one would need to watch yer back.

Flat over Supermacs - hee hee!

I work in Parkmore myself and used the bus for a while before i started driving.

My advice, live as close to the centre of town as possible and take the bus from eyre square.. it's very reliable to be honest, get the bus 45 mins before you start work and you'll never be late.

Living outside of town as some suggested is not the way to enjoy galway for 6 months. I'm in galway 4 years and still feel i'd be missing out if i lived out in roscam etc.

and cycling isn't an option in my opinion.. it will rain here an awful lot during the summer and unless your living very close to work, you'll have to cycle along the dual carriageway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

ethernet wrote: »
    Wie gesagt, öffentliche Verkehrsmittel bei uns ist sehr schlecht. Man muss immer einige Minuten früh sein, obwohl der Bus/Zug hat fast immer Verspätung.

Es gibt oft Streit, wenn Sie aussteigen wollen aber der Bus nicht an allen sog. Bus Éireann Bushaltestellen haltet!

Am besten wohnen Sie im Stadtzentrum. Fast alle Busse fährt von Eyre Square ab. Galway ist ziemlich klein und wir haben noch keine S-Bahn -- nur Busse für Nahverkehr.

Ich möchte Ihnen erzählen, dass eine Stadtführung von Galway wird von der Uni am 9. Mai gegeben, wenn Sie Interesse daran haben (kostenlos). Ich kann mehr Infos geben.

Ich wünsche Ihnen eine tolle Erfahrung bei uns. Hoffentlich mache ich nächtes Jahr auch ein Praktum bei euch!

...show off :P

Advertisement