Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gluten Free Beer?

• 04-04-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

I dunno if theres many Coeliacs on Boards, or if this is there right place to post this but I just thought I'd give it a try.

Anyone know anything about Gluten free beer? Where to buy it in Dublin what brands bla bla, anything at all?

I've never come across it over here, but I was England for a weekend awhile ago and they sold it in feckin ASDA! Just be nice for a change even if its not as nice as most 'real' beers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've never come across it in Ireland. Pity, as it's something I'd definitely buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Damn :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭olaola

Would you drink cider?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I saw an ad for gluten free beer being sold in the Carry Out in Tralee yesterday. I'm not sure if Carry Out is a chain or a franchise, but keep an eye out in them anyway, and perhaps ask the manager if they can get it in for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭toodelies

Hi there,

there is a belgian beer called Glutaner which is gluten free and is really nice. have been trying to track it down myself and have found it on www.realbeers.ie. - you can order a case of it from them and they deliver anywhere in Ireland. there is also an english beer called Greens - they do a good few different types of GF beers. haven't had it so don't know if its nice or not. i heard that an off licence in stilorgan can carrying it (Slainte) but haven't been in there yet to find out!

if it is wheat you are allergic to apparently Revolution Red beer is wheat free. i have not tried it but it is on sale in some pubs in Dublin on tap. if you look at the dublin brewing companies website they have a list of outlets there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

toodelies wrote: »
    Hi there,

there is a belgian beer called Glutaner which is gluten free and is really nice. have been trying to track it down myself and have found it on www.realbeers.ie. - you can order a case of it from them and they deliver anywhere in Ireland. there is also an english beer called Greens - they do a good few different types of GF beers. haven't had it so don't know if its nice or not. i heard that an off licence in stilorgan can carrying it (Slainte) but haven't been in there yet to find out!

if it is wheat you are allergic to apparently Revolution Red beer is wheat free. i have not tried it but it is on sale in some pubs in Dublin on tap. if you look at the dublin brewing companies website they have a list of outlets there.

+1 on the Glutaner. One of the less expensive gluten frees around. AFAIK Abbot's Ale House in Cork have it so any good offie should be able to get it!

On the wheat thing; most beers are wheat free apart from specific 'wheat beers' and some Belgian and English ales. Most beer is made from, predominately or exclusively barley.Other grains sometimes used are, corn(maize), oats, rice and wheat. Your average lager is almost certainly wheat free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

toodelies wrote: »

It has barley, ie same as guinness, so unsuitable for a lot of people who need to be wheat free. Good spot though. I still drink Guinness even though it bloats me a bit, too few pubs with good red wine in Ireland so no real alternative if you don't like cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

Im in the same boat:(
    but I drink vodka cider and red wine,miss bud though especially in the summer:confused:

but I did hear only recently that distilled stuff like whiskey is ok,now I havent had hot whiskey since I discovered my handicap!

Faith wrote: »
    I saw an ad for gluten free beer being sold in the Carry Out in Tralee yesterday. I'm not sure if Carry Out is a chain or a franchise, but keep an eye out in them anyway, and perhaps ask the manager if they can get it in for you.

which carry out? it is a chain,
    I have a yeast intolerance aswell,*as I would*

sorry LAST POST!
    carry out is a chain but what I ment to say was ,,is it a specific store as like dunnes in different counties do different specials

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tifosi104

There is a really nice Gluten Free beer made by a Spanish company: Estrella Damm.
    I live in N.I. and Sainsburys stock it.

Please note if you are Coeliac but take beer made with wheat,barley etc without any problems, it does not mean you CAN take it. Long term damage is too risky: osteoporosis, cancer ....!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Zombie thread.

There's loads of gluten free beer around these days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

you can get Estrella Damm coeliac beer, which is meant to be quite good. My sister is Coeliac and she said is the nicest gluten free beer she's had.

Advertisement