Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with FPS in Wow please.

Options
  • 04-04-2009 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Hey people.

Im just trying to help a mate out with his fps in world of warcraft.
    For the life of me i cant figure out why his fps are so absolute crap.

Generally just standing around in the game he is getting about 30fps and when fights start his fps is dropping for about 5fps and his screen is freezing n stuff.

The system spec's are:

Windows XP (32-bit)

Intel Pentium Dual E2160 @ 1.80GHz

3070 MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

298GB HDD

I have test the ram on the machine with memtest and its all fine.
    Updated all his drivers.

The strange ting is that in all other games he plays all is fine.
    Its just in wow that its sucking.

Have you guys any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

In your Wow installation directory there's another folder in there called "WTF" - within that there is a file called "config.wtf"

Make sure you're quit out of wow fully then open that file in notepad and enter in the following line...

SET MaXLights "1"

Save the file and then start up wow - all should be sorted now in regards FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Thanks for the reply :)

Gave that a shot, only place where we could test atm was in a heroic.
    Did heroic UP and got about 40fps where previously is was about 25-30fps.

So its better but still not as high as it should be.

Can you think of anything else that we could try?

Yeah, I've a couple of other lines I used to use to improve my FPS in WoW. Let me dig them out and I'll post back here with them.

There's a line that enables more up-to-date pixel shading instead of the standard CPU hogging shading, the new setting makes wow use your graphics card for shading instead...

Will post back in a few mins, just in the middle of a zerg in Planetside at the moment :p

Right try these, one at a time, use whichever one you think gives you better FPS...

SET M2UsePixelShaders "1"

or

SET M2UseShaders "1"

Also you can try...

SET M2BatchDoodads "1"

Could also try this setting but unsure if it still works these days with any great benefit...

SET gxMultisample "0"

^^ That last setting is supposed to turn off all AA in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,408 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nehaxak wrote: »
    ^^ That last setting is supposed to turn off all AA in game.
    ...which will default AA to the Graphics Card's driver setting, if you have that enabled. Software based AA can be awfully bad sometimes, always disable in-game, and enable on the driver if you wish to use AA at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement