Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackburn Game..What just happened??

Options
  • 04-04-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

:mad:

Unbelievable!Absolutely cruising for 80 mins,Blackburn couldnt even a mange a decent attack all game up to that point then BAM we're down to 10 men and we're 2-1 down.What an absolute sickener!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

gomes at fault for the winner according to skysports.com. Harsh sending off also.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Focus and mental strength.....

Ref bolloxed it up completely - it was POSSIBLY a free although Palacious CLEARLY pulled out - and the team got rattled and distracted.

There's no excuse for it - the best two-fingers to that ref would have been to knuckle down and go on to win - but the ref CLEARLY cost us the game with that decision. :mad:

Their claim re the penalty was FAR less clear-cut, as handling the ball in the penalty box when a team is on the attack is open to a penalty (when it hit Corluka's hand it was going wide).

Bottom line - a ref that should be sacked and a team that does well but loses focus when it's most needed......

Rotten start to a day..... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

RAUL DUKE wrote: »
    :mad:

Unbelievable!Absolutely cruising for 80 mins,Blackburn couldnt even a mange a decent attack all game up to that point then BAM we're down to 10 men and we're 2-1 down.What an absolute sickener!!

How many games have been thrown away like this in the last few minutes? Its criminal. Its 3 points thrown away. Its a sickening result but typical Spurs:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

sky blaming gomes is not surprizing tbh because they always look to highlight anything that might be his fault. The real blame is corluka and jenas letting their player stroll in unmarked between the two of them them tap in the winner, corluka even put his head in his hands. But, the ref had a shocker of a game and their player ouidja (i know thats spelt wrong) should have been sent off for two bookings. One a blantent trip from behind which we where given a free for and then the tackle on bent. Bith of these where worse than palacious second challange. He also could have sent off Diouf at the end for enciting the spurs fans and goading them after the whistle... fair play to gomes and woodgate putting it up to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Anyone hear if they'll look to have the card rescinded he's essential to us the team just hasen't got a ball winner without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Just when we thought things were getting better then something like today happens,typical.I blame Jenas for the second goal efter watching the replays,he was ball watching instead of following his man,typical also of sky to blame Gomes.i would be very surprised if the red card is not recinded...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Dont think we have any grounds with 2 yellows , if it was a straight red card then yes but i dont think its in the fa rules to go back and rescind yellow cards. We were robbed with the sending off but its typical of us at the end. Cant wait for this season to be over and next season to begin. Roll on August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Im not a Spurs fan by any means but i am too gutted because I had Spurs in two accums and every other teams that i picked won except them,in other words they cost me a good few quid:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 dmcevoy24

ref shafted us big time but yet again a silly three points down the drain.

gomes again costing us points. i wonder if tallied up how many points he has lost us or won us , as he in fairness has made some world class saves.

although have to say great shape about our play and i think next few games will get us back on the winning track and grap that 7th spot over the hammers

everdead good call hopefully there is grounds the red will be recinded.

didnt the villa keeper get his red quashed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It won't be recinded because it was a second yellow rather than a straight red. It's a load of ****e but them's the rules.

I was absolutely fuming. When I saw Palacios' 'tackle' I initially thought he was stupid, but after seeing the replay I couldn't believe what had happened as he completely pulled out only for Dunn to dive. We should still have been able to keep things going and I partially blame Redknapp as I feel he should have swapped a striker for a defender as soon as the red card happened. Sticking Dawson in there would have helped with Samba.

Overall - gutted with the result but encouraged with the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I thought we played some excellent football at times, and were far the better side. We needed the 2nd goal which would have killed the game.

Shocking decision from the ref for the 2nd yellow, game changing moment.

I might get slaughtered for saying this, but we need a new keeper. Yes it was poor defending from the 2 lads who let him walk between them, but Gomes cant be allowing the ball to drift straight passed him without getting something on it. He looked all at sea....justlike he did in the 1st half when he came flying out like superman and got knowhere near the ball.

He has cost us too many points this season for me to believe he will turn it around. Im gave him his dues last week by saying how good he was playing, but im taking a stand now by saying our priority for next season is a new keeper. Foster on loan maybe....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I might get slaughtered for saying this, but we need a new keeper. Yes it was poor defending from the 2 lads who let him walk between them, but Gomes cant be allowing the ball to drift straight passed him without getting something on it. He looked all at sea....justlike he did in the 1st half when he came flying out like superman and got knowhere near the ball.

He has cost us too many points this season for me to believe he will turn it around. Im gave him his dues last week by saying how good he was playing, but im taking a stand now by saying our priority for next season is a new keeper. Foster on loan maybe....

cudicini not a good fist choice hatch?? i think he is quality but with few fist team appearances for chelsea maybe a little ring rusty! remember him having a shocker for spurs but still i think he is top drawer.

on another note have not seen the game or the highlights but i heard the ref was shockin the whole game and even our pen was a little harsh. havent seen only what ive heard so dont attack me! but everywhere is sayin palacios was done by the ref. everywhere

keane=cock wrote: »
    cudicini not a good fist choice hatch?? i think he is quality but with few fist team appearances for chelsea maybe a little ring rusty! remember him having a shocker for spurs but still i think he is top drawer.

on another note have not seen the game or the highlights but i heard the ref was shockin the whole game and even our pen was a little harsh. havent seen only what ive heard so dont attack me! but everywhere is sayin palacios was done by the ref. everywhere

Well Id certainly have more confidence in Cudicini, than I would in Gomes. Yes the ref was poor, throughout the game, I could'nt believe he allowed Keane's pen to be taken when it clearly was'nt on the spot. Shocking decision for Palacios's 2nd yellow.

Well Id certainly have more confidence in Cudicini, than I would in Gomes. Yes the ref was poor, throughout the game, I could'nt believe he allowed Keane's pen to be taken when it clearly was'nt on the spot. Shocking decision for Palacios's 2nd yellow.

Any part of the ball only needs to be touching a flicker of the white paint , clearly in the rules that the ball doesnt have to be on the spot .

As for Gomes luv the bloke , top top keeper , he had a shaky start but has come on leaps and bounds. He's saved us more times than not this season. Why get in Foster on loan?. If he was any good he'd be in utd team by now and not being kept back by an ageing van der sar!!! ,and not being shipped out left right and centre to championship teams. God knows he's been there a good few years now and no breakthrough.

IMO cuducini is a bluffer , he was well shielded at chelski coz he didnt have to play that much! and he was found out bigtime with us at Hull. He not a first choice keeper imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I have to disagree on the keeper front. Gomes has done enough this season after his disastrous start to be our number 1 for next season. I like Cudicinni - always have, and having him as backup is great, but I still think Gomes should be our number 1 keeper.

Regarding the second goal on Saturday - yes he started to come for something that he shouldn't have but the goal wasn't his fault as there was absolutely nobody marking Ouijer. I believe Jenas and Zokora should have been looking after him so even if Gomes hadn't come for the cross you would have favoured the Blackburn player to score.

[QUOTE=BERBA;59707399)

As for Gomes luv the bloke , top top keeper , he had a shaky start but has come on leaps and bounds. He's saved us more times than not this season. Why get in Foster on loan?. If he was any good he'd be in utd team by now and not being kept back by an ageing van der sar!!! ,and not being shipped out left right and centre to championship teams. God knows he's been there a good few years now and no breakthrough.

QUOTE]

He is being kept out by one of the best keepers in England, maybe the best, just because he's 39, it does'nt make him a poor keeper !!

As for Foster, I did'nt realise he was being loaned out left right and centre !! He was loaned out to Watford, what other clubs has be been loaned too ????????? He was injured badly, which halted his carear for at least a year. Would'nt be suprised if he's England keeper for the World Cup.

imo van der sar is not one of the best keepers in league. He's made a lot of gaffs for utd in his time. we can argue that he's kept 12 + clean sheets on the bounce for them but tbh i'd keep 12+ clean sheets if i had vidic and ferdinand in front of me!

my point is that if Ben Foster was any good he'd have broken in to their first team by now. He's at utd now 4 years.and he's being kept out by a 39 year old !!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Well as usual we did it again - great results at Villa and then Chelsea, but again we shoot ourselves in the foot when it comes to the weaker teams, and make no mistake this was a weaker team, and probably our easiest away game in the run in.

But as usual we cocked it up with bad defending - I don't want to hear about the ref and Palacios, yes it had an influence on the game, but it does not justify the terrible defending by Spurs.

Both goals were and should have been defended - Woody all at sea for the first one followed up by bad marking and then the second one, well, who to blame? bent looked like he should have got a head on it - king was wrestling with attacker in the back of the net when he should have just put his foot through it! Gomes in no mans land as per usual, and couldn't get anything on it (disgrace at this level) and then jenas and Zokora's marking, just schoolboy stuff.

This team still has big troubles, and I expect a good team like West ham to come and beat us next week - and with games against man U and Liverpool, Everton, don't expect to much out of this season. Just be glad we got those couple of crucial results when we did as I think we are JUST about out of the relegation scrap, but only just, I see us finishing 12/13th!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think Andy Gray summed it up nicely when he said this is the first game this season we payed with the pressure off. He meant it in a possitive way but I fell we could go the way of last year after the carling cup final.

Hopefully this is just one of those games and we pull it back against west ham.

• Advertisement

i agree with hatch in relation to gomes. i think everyone has to ask themselves when watching our beloved tottenham each time a ball is crossed does your heart miss a beat ? I know mine does, if woody,dawson and ledley were honest they would admit it too.

a good keeper breeds confidence yes ?

BERBA wrote: »
    imo van der sar is not one of the best keepers in league. He's made a lot of gaffs for utd in his time. we can argue that he's kept 12 + clean sheets on the bounce for them but tbh i'd keep 12+ clean sheets if i had vidic and ferdinand in front of me!

my point is that if Ben Foster was any good he'd have broken in to their first team by now. He's at utd now 4 years.and he's being kept out by a 39 year old !!!.

We will have to agree to disagree so. In my opinion VDS is top notch, and Foster at 25 could be top notch too if he progresses over the next year or 2. To say that he is not up to it because he has'nt become a regular yet at United is rubbish for me. Again just my opinion.

p.s. You forgot to name all the clubs he has been on loan too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

dmcevoy24 wrote: »
    i agree with hatch in relation to gomes. i think everyone has to ask themselves when watching our beloved tottenham each time a ball is crossed does your heart miss a beat ? I know mine does, if woody,dawson and ledley were honest they would admit it too.

a good keeper breeds confidence yes ?

Sorry mate, but im a big fan of gomes. He comes for balls that no other keeper in the league would come for and gets a hell of a lot of them. He's a world class shot stoper. Yes he has had a few big time f*ck ups, but hes also kept a few clean sheets as well. The sky media love a scapegoat, always better if they are not british, and they latch on top every possible fault that he has. He is a better keeper than cuidicini who was a very good shot stopper as chelsea but sat on his wage pack for too long there as their number 2.
    My heart doesnt worry about a cross going in to the box when he's in nets and i know that kings doesnt either... and thats because ledley, and daws have had the experience of playing in front of Robbo for a long time. Lest we forget that even Jol admitted to ****ing himself when we conceded a corner. Stick with gomes as he is quality and try and ignore the scapegoating broadcast by sky.
    COYS

We will have to agree to disagree so. In my opinion VDS is top notch, and Foster at 25 could be top notch too if he progresses over the next year or 2. To say that he is not up to it because he has'nt become a regular yet at United is rubbish for me. Again just my opinion.

p.s. You forgot to name all the clubs he has been on loan too ;)

Has Foster not had the last 4 years to become a regular then? Not saying he's a bad keeper . Just saying i wouldnt pick him as our No 1 over Gomes. After all it was Hiddink who brought gomes from brazil to psv and described him as world class in his time there and also said his opinion hadnt changed after his string of saves helped us to beat chelski last week..my my how a week is a short time in footie.

a week isnt a long time but a season is. my comments on gomes were related to the season as a whole not the blackburn game. gomes goes for every cross that other keepers wouldnt, maybe the other keepers are right ?

other altenatives to gomes wouldnt fill me with confidence either

Has Foster not had the last 4 years to become a regular then? Not saying he's a bad keeper . Just saying i wouldnt pick him as our No 1 over Gomes. After all it was Hiddink who brought gomes from brazil to psv and described him as world class in his time there and also said his opinion hadnt changed after his string of saves helped us to beat chelski last week..my my how a week is a short time in footie.

Yes a week is a short time in football, but overall, my judgement on Gomes spans the season. He has made error after error which has cost us endless points. I held my hands up last week when he was brilliant, and said fair play, and dont get me wrong, Id love him to prove me wrong and have a wonderful 3/4 seasons at the lane, but what I am saying is that I dont think he is consistent enough to do so. Iv no problem with the odd mistake, every keeper makes them, but I simply fear I will be sitting here (if we keep him as no 1) in 12 months time, talking about more moments of sheer madness and more errors that have cost us valuable points.

Anyway, thats all I'll say on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RAUL DUKE

On another note,how in the hell did any of the officials not see Mokoena's challange on Palacious on saturday!Even more sickening when you see what Palcious was sent off for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

After all it was Hiddink who brought gomes from brazil to psv and described him as world class in his time there .

berba im not a huge fan of gomes but recently he has pulled his socks up and put in some fine displays and was our best player on a couple of occasions as far as im concerned but im afraid im with hatch here. i think he has made too many mistakes too often which have cost us points on the board. hiddink said those things about games, fair enough, i seen him play a few games for psv and he was great, really impressive but ive also seen him play a few shockers for spurs and to me thats not world class its inconsistant. and id rather have a stable consistant keeper than an accident prone one. we went tru it long enough with robbinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

berba im not a huge fan of gomes but recently he has pulled his socks up and put in some fine displays and was our best player on a couple of occasions as far as im concerned but im afraid im with hatch here. i think he has made too many mistakes too often which have cost us points on the board. hiddink said those things about games, fair enough, i seen him play a few games for psv and he was great, really impressive but ive also seen him play a few shockers for spurs and to me thats not world class its inconsistant. and id rather have a stable consistant keeper than an accident prone one. we went tru it long enough with robbinson.

Agree inconsistency is his problem - my heart is in my mouth every time ball goes into our box!

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but if i was a centre half in front of Gomes id want him to be coming all day long for balls , 9 times out of 10 he gets it right. Not many keepers have the courage to come out for high balls and deal with em. Look at hennessy last night for wolves for brums 1st goal , he rooted to the line.

Advertisement