Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

june 1st mini marathon

Options
  • 04-04-2009 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi Lads,
    love all the great logs,(thanks munster gal)!
    Im walking a few times a week 7k on a tread mill I do add in 2 min of running and then walk for 1m.
    I want to start outdoor jogging,whats the best way to start?
    however I plan to do the mini marathon in june and I do plan to run it,
    I will be away for all of easter and not sure if I will get running in,, although I will bring the skipping rope just in case!
    Have I left it to late to be in form for the marathon?I do smoke but they will be gone soon I hope.
    any advice would be great.
    thanks Helen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Hi Lads,
    love all the great logs,(thanks munster gal)!
    Im walking a few times a week 7k on a tread mill I do add in 2 min of running and then walk for 1m.
    I want to start outdoor jogging,whats the best way to start?
    however I plan to do the mini marathon in june and I do plan to run it,
    I will be away for all of easter and not sure if I will get running in,, although I will bring the skipping rope just in case!
    Have I left it to late to be in form for the marathon?I do smoke but they will be gone soon I hope.
    any advice would be great.
    thanks Helen.

Hey Hubbabubba,
    Looking forward to reading your log and seeing how you get on!
    Best of luck with the training and I'm sure I'll see you in Dublin in June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭hubbabubba09

hi munster gal!
    Im going to watch the national and then heading into town for a run!!
    let u know how it goes!

ok ok before I get slated here I made a mistake the mini marathon I will do will be on June 1st not june 4th!! sorry!! <Mod - fixed :) >

walked 4.5k yesterday evening ant a nice pace and did a bit of jogging in between as I was a bit conscience of people around me:mad:
    silly I know.

today did 30mins hard going on the cross trainer and 15 on the bike felt ok after it ,my calfs were sore form yesterday so I didnt do any jogging.

Thighs aching today after 3.5k snail jog!
    did all the proper warm ups and stretches
    ouch ouch ouch!

I can and I will!!(I hope):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

walked 4.5k yesterday evening ant a nice pace and did a bit of jogging in between as I was a bit conscience of people around me:mad:
    silly I know.

Best of luck with the training hubbabubba09. I know what you mean about being conscious of people around you. I was the exact same when I started. I get this unbelieveably red face and always feel like people are looking at me but now I mostly dont care- I love the feeling of completing a walk or run and that means more to me than what people might think.

I think also that most people who look at others running are looking with admiration.

• Advertisement

thanks Bally!
    admiration yes I hope and not Oh God get that lassie some oxygen!!!
    I did feel good afer my effort today and have the best intention of going again first thing in the morning.
    Its hurts now but I think its good hurt!like Ive achieved something,and when u run in the morning I think its kinda easier to recover as u tend to be moving all day where as if u train in the evening soon after u will be in bed for 8 hours ceasing up?well thats my thought!
    I do feel great today with my small progress!

roll on June!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You'll be fine! Keep up the training, if you can get up to about 8km (5 miles) in training the excitement of the day will carry you over the line on Mini-Marathon Monday. Trust me on that one ;)

Fair play to you for being a morning runner too, I've tried but I am simply incapable of running first thing in the morning. Ideal time for me is between 5 and 8 in the evening.

thanks Rainbow!
    well best intentions and all that,!was raining this morning so I went swimming instead with the Children,but will deffo get out later as Im so motivated now!
    Its completely different running outside though,I think maybe the interval thing is the way to go at the moment so trying to get used to the outside thing.

Hey, swimming is decent cross-training :)

Have a look at Couch to 5k if you want a program of interval training to follow - if you can already do 3.5km you're probably at about week 4-6ish of it.

Fair play to ya Rainbow thats an excellent site!

• Advertisement

hey guys!my pc was at the doctors but fixed now thank God!
    I have kept the running to 2 kms a day but thinking now time to step it up!Was training on a bumpy road last week and ballsed my knee up but its ok ish now so doing mainly swimming to build it up!
    hope ye are all doing good and had a great Easter/

Hey Rainbow started on the podcasts,did week 4 yesterday found it ok,will follow it for the week!

Good stuff, the intervals should help you get comfortable with things - the idea with them is that you're able to run 20 minutes without stopping by the end of week 5, week 6 goes back to some longer intervals and then week 7 doesn't have any breaks.

love it rainbow!

I have found a few people to train with twice a week,they arent doing the mini but run for fitness,I went last night and was wrecked after a 2 1/2mile jog! but kept going as I didnt want to lose face!
    I did the same route myself this morning and a friend rang a few mins ago to say she would run with me in the morning!
    Hope I dont make a dick of myself!
    hope it will be raining so I dont look like im about to self combust!:mad:

overdid it yesterday,completely wrecked today,
    did 3miles in the morning and 3mile intervals in the evening,wont be doing that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I know how that feels. Took a few days to get over the 7 miles I did last weekend.........

hey lads,
    woke up Saturday feeling like shiite!
    swollen glands sweats the whole works,today Monday still bad,on the hot whiskeys now:p
    hope I can get back by Wednesday,not long till June 1st!

hey peoples!
    did 3 miles today nice and handy ,took 40mins not sure if that good or bad?
    comment please!
    really enjoyed it:Dwhen I felt like stopping I just slowed right down,v.pleased with mysef today!

hi all!
    jogged 7.4kms on Monday 1hr!!
    not great but in the right direction!!
    I plan to go again this evening,am I doing enough?
    3-4 times a week??:confused:

did 2.4 miles in the lashing rain!
    hard going but I had company so wasnt too bad.
    getting fed up with music on ipod now as well!
    thik it was the weather that had me feeling low.

• Advertisement

did 4 miles this evening got easier as I went along,stressing now as Im so afraid I wont be up to the 10k by june.

the reason some of my runs are down as miles and kms is i have done the ones in the car to check the kms and I have gotten the mile runs from friends.

how are rest of ye fairing out as regards the marathon training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭chatoon

hubbabubba09, you're doing fantastic - now keep up that training and trust me, you will be right on form for 1st June - I did ithe mini-marathon for the first time a few year's back with far less training than you've put in. If you're at 4m now - you will easily do the 10k in June - and remember all those runs in the rain when you're feeling miserable will instantly disappear when you cross that line on the 1st June - it'll all be so worth it!:D

thanks a million Chatoon,
    I hope to God I will be ready!but will keep at it!
    raising a nice bit for the hospice as well and that i the back of my mind keeps me going

hey people!
    did the mini on mon,finished in 75 mins,went into over drive, after 7km heads down and sprinted like i never thought possible!due 2 lack of water couldnt feel my legs b 4 the 7 km mark|!
    loved it all and v.proud of myself!
    thanks 4 all support.xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭chatoon

Very well done on a great run hubbabubba09 - knew you'd do it on the day and glad you enjoyed it (despite the loss of feeling in your legs!!:D)...and well done for raising money for a good cause - good on you. Now don't give up on the running - be sure to give yourself another goal and another race - the adidas series in the Phoenix Park is a nice one starting in July - best of luck and keep it up!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

hey people!
    did the mini on mon,finished in 75 mins,went into over drive, after 7km heads down and sprinted like i never thought possible!due 2 lack of water couldnt feel my legs b 4 the 7 km mark|!
    loved it all and v.proud of myself!
    thanks 4 all support.xx
    Well done :)

Advertisement