Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Gael Ard Fheis...

Options
  • 04-04-2009 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

I looked at this earlier and wasn't impressed at all. Some of the delegates speaking looked utterly unconvincing. I thought there was a lack of flair, energy and and ambition in relation to everyone who spoke, the GP who thinks he is the next Minister for Health probably has his nose deep in the HSE trough, while talking about revolutionising the health system...

If they really wanted to change something, they could start by changing their party leader who is obvoiusly unelectable as a Taoiseach. He was unelectable as a taoiseach in the boom, so how the party think he can be elected now when the economic sh*t has absolutely hit the fan is completely beyond me.

Their failure to act on this front in my opinion makes a joke of their wider stated ambitions to put the country back together again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They wouldn't be happy about you calling them Fianna Gael ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I looked at this earlier and wasn't impressed at all. Some of the delegates speaking looked utterly unconvincing. I thought there was a lack of flair, energy and and ambition in relation to everyone who spoke, the GP who thinks he is the next Minister for Health probably has his nose deep in the HSE trough, while talking about revolutionising the health system...

If they really wanted to change something, they could start by changing their party leader who is obvoiusly unelectable as a Taoiseach. He was unelectable as a taoiseach in the boom, so how the party think he can be elected now when the economic sh*t has absolutely hit the fan is completely beyond me.

Their failure to act on this front in my opinion makes a joke of their wider stated ambitions to put the country back together again.

Watching an Ard Fheis is like watching paint dry. The party are talking to the troops , giving exposure to potential candidates and generally having their own love-in. The only thing that is worth looking at is the main Enda Kenny address to see where they are coming from.

I don't think he's unelectable at all. His predecessor left FG with only 31 seats. He may not be the most charismatic and under performs in the Dail but he helped revitalise the party and they picked up 20 seats in the last election. When the dust settled in 2007 they were not very far off, from a virtual wipeout in the previous election. This whole unelectable thing is media-driven IMO and a lot seems to stem from the obsession with the US President and some X Factor type of search for an Irish version of him. Gilmore is the only electable leader at present but his party would not get enough seats.

As for their policies, the Fairer Society is a rehash of the 1960s but it does align them with Labour, and from what I can see of them they have far more talent in their party, particularly on their front bench. At the very least it is the beginnings of a foundation and if FF/Greens survive for a while longer and one on which they can build.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

is_that_so wrote: »
    This whole unelectable thing is media-driven IMO and a lot seems to stem from the obsession with the US President and some X Factor type of search for an Irish version of him.
    I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

At the Ard Fheis tonight, just went to Kennys speach. Found him very good and hit the right points. There a party that really wants to bring fair change and have an excellent team behind them. They certinally are coming from strength to strength and while Kenny is no Obama neither is Cowen. Seems to be very good pulling the "new FG" together to be a strong party with a decent offering and I think people are slowly turning towards FG.

I think the little "incident" this week is now resolved, judging by what papers report on yesterdays events (wasnt present). Judging by the reaction he got today from the crowd and his colleagues I think the matter is resolved, for now. Patience is whats needed, rome wasnt built in a day.

Advertisement