Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

australia,irish,work

Options
  • 04-04-2009 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hey everyone,im moving to aussie this month,brisbane, and i cant wait,ive mate over there who says there is work if you want work,im bricky by trade but id do anything for a change anyway! ive heard irish find it hard to get work or keep there job because they get full drunk sunday nite and dont go work monday,and they dont really want work!! but im willing to work hard,very hard,mite even cap the bottle for few months:)!! please lets all hear the good news about moving to aussie,and work situation,and a little help with good advice..... ive fortune of credit unions money spent on going so please cheer me up ???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Emmmm the work situation is pretty crap at the moment tbh so don't get too excited about living the dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rayme1

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Emmmm the work situation is pretty crap at the moment tbh so don't get too excited about living the dream.
    dublin 15,yea?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Perth would be a little closer I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

rayme1 wrote: »
    ive fortune of credit unions money spent on going so please cheer me up ???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are you going on a WHV or migrating

As for cheering you up the credit union cant get you to pay it back here, but that would be wrong:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

You sound like you're willing to be flexible which will be a great help. If you're willing to do anything then things look certainly more in your favour. Just remember that the work situation is better than home but still not fantastic. Do you have enough money saved up to not work for a while or to get home if you need to? Do you have any contacts in Aus already?

mini mod warning - I know that the recession and whether people will find work or not is a sensitive subject and people who are on their way to Aus are worried - but people here are trying to help and on't tell you the streets are paved with gold because that is what you want to hear and abusive posts because you don't hear what you want will not be tolerated. This is not directed at anyone particularly but to the forum as a whole and on all threads as it's becoming more common of late. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yep just to support Watna's point, here's a quick summation:

1) Is there work?

YES. There is still work to be had.

2) Is it easy to get?

NO. The casual work that WHVers rely on has become really thin on the ground. The flip side is that the work that's ALWAYS casual, e.g. labouring, trades work, bricklaying - it's still there, but you want to make sure you have your best foot forward if you're trying to get a start.

And yes, plenty of your fellow Irish men and women have unfortunately already marked your card by taking the piss, but all you can do it fight it.

3) How the hell do I find work then?

Join agencies, make friends, sell yourself, any contact you have squeeze them till they pop, pound the pavements, introduce yourself in person, ask people what they want in terms of an application before firing off 40 CVs that aren't, for instance, in the format Australians expect CVs to be in, and then wonder why you aren't on the long-list, let alone the shortlist. Don't spend all your money on beer in the first month, and don't get disheartened.

Be willing to do work you wouldn't normally do, be willing to live out in the suburbs or investigate living and working rurally.

Never rock up to a job interview looking dishevelled and reeking of last night's booze, no matter who's leaving/birthday/hiring/firing/arriving party you were at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I'll be joining this ship in a while assuming my WHV comes through... it's been a couple of weeks... *shuffles around nervously*

Cheers to you guys for the advice in this and other threads. I'm under no illusions about things being easy over there, and in normal cirumstances would be staying put with my min-wage job here until I decide what to do next/long term. But there's a girl involved, and she's worth following, so I'll be heading to Sydney in June and trying to get by! =)

She has family there, and I have friends in Melbourne, and possibly elsewhere (had best get checking the origins of contacts I had always filed under "Australian"). Basically hope to stay put in stable and safe places, work as much as possible while experiencing the life there and getting a bit of sun. I'll have the minimum amount of startup cash when going over ($5000ish?), most of which I won't owe to anybody, so... it shall hopefully work out. Need to keep food on the table/in the backpack 'til Feb, and have little else in the way of financial aspirations!

(also...did you guys just change your time and go from 11 hours, to 10 hours, to 9 hours, ahead of us? NSW area, I mean... Fierce confusing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

passive wrote: »
    (also...did you guys just change your time and go from 11 hours, to 10 hours, to 9 hours, ahead of us? NSW area, I mean... Fierce confusing!)

Yes, your clocks went forward last week and ours went back a week later
    so 11->10->and now 9hours ... which mean can watch football in sydney a lot easier ... horrible for champs league matches though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rayme1

things cant be anyworse than ireland at the moment?,il try it and see,have enough buck to last a while and need be to come home

Advertisement