Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The GAA at it again

• 04-04-2009 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/pitch-battle-gaa-and-soccer-club-in-dispute-1693508.html

CASTLEMAINE sportsfield, which is at the centre of a bitter dispute between local GAA and soccer clubs, was ploughed on the instructions of the GAA before the weekend.

Following the nighttime ploughing of the sportsfield, which is regularly used by the local soccer club, a hole was dug in the middle of Milltown/ Castlemaine GAA pitch late on Saturday night, forcing an under-21 game to be moved to another venue on Sunday afternoon.

County GAA Board Chairman Jerome Conway confirmed to The Kerryman that the sportsfield, which is the home ground of Castlemaine United soccer club, was ploughed on instructions from the GAA on Thursday. Soccer goalposts standing in the middle of the field are the only remaining evidence of sporting exploits there.

While local groups dispute the GAA's claim to exclusive ownership of the sportsfield, Mr Conway insisted the board had acted within its rights. In October, Milltown/ Castlemaine GAA Club was granted planning permission to redevelop the pitch, erect floodlights and construct a car park and associated services, despite an application from the soccer club for leave of appeal.

"The property belongs to the GAA and there's no debate about ownership as there is documentation there," Mr Conway stated, adding: "Of course the field was ploughed by the GAA".

Asked why the actions had been carried out in darkness, Mr Conway said he was unsure.

"The long term objective is to develop the pitch properly as there is a slope on it. We have been given a directive by Croke Park to use the property according to the rules and that's what we are doing," he added.

The actions mean that local soccer club Castlemaine United are now without a home ground, despite having used the pitch since their inception two decades ago. The suspension of GAA's Rule 42, banning soccer from the association's pitches, does not apply outside Croke Park.

The newly-formed Castlemaine Community Sportsfield Action Group — representing local community groups including Castlemaine United AFC — are furious that the GAA has had the pitch ploughed.

The group argues that the sportsfield was originally handed over to the general community by the Spring Walker family in 1936, had always been a community field and had merely been placed in the trust of the GAA. They point to carnivals, community fairs, sheep shearing, dog shows, tennis and basketball events held in the sportsfield to support their claim.

At a fiery meeting hosted by the group in Castlemaine Community Centre on Monday night, plans were initiated for a community-wide petition condemning the GAA's actions, with possible protest also planned outside Kerry County Board offices.

"This is the greatest bit of scamping I've seen for a long time," one angry action group member stated.

"Our group has had to resort to blockading and chaining. We will cover the entrance with cars every night if we have to," chairman Charlie Boyle stated.

Others present at Monday's meeting claimed the actions were "an insult to the children of the community". "Our event in June has gone, as has the Easter camp here," one stated.

"It is now very cheeky of the GAA club to come over and do their lotto draw in our village," the group's assistant PRO Brendan O'Reilly added.

The community group is now planning to reseed the pitch and a call for locals to help remove stones from the ground will be made in the coming days.

The action group is to lodge a petition with the Circuit Court seeking an injunction restraining Milltown Castlemaine GAA club from further interference at the site.

Meanhile, former senior captain of Milltown Castlemaine GAA club and player manager of Castlemaine United AFC, Jason Giles expressed his dismay at the recent developments and has decided to take action: "I will not be renewing my membership with Milltown/ Castlemaine GAA, a club I've been a lifelong member of. It's nothing against the players but I've been given no choice following this."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Clowns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Bigoted joke of an organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

What a joke. Gaa covering themselves in glory as usual I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lads, I know the Gah are a touch Millwall-like (no one likes them) but before anyone earns themself an infraction or ban, I'll just remind you all about the rules on abuse and all that jazz.

Careful now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not a perfect organisation, but please name one for me? If the GAA club did own the land, they can do what they want. Yes, its not a nice way to go about it, I don't condemn it as a GAA fan, but GAA pitch also got dug up in a seemingly petty retaliation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Down with that sort of thing.

Mushy wrote: »
    If the GAA club did own the land, they can do what they want.
    This is disputed by the Castlemaine Community Sportsfield Action Group.

This is disputed by the Castlemaine Community Sportsfield Action Group.

Doesn't mean the GAA club don't own it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Pretty poor form ploughing the field in full knowledge that the soccer club were actively using it without giving any prior notice.
    The fact taht they did it under the cover of darkness shows that they knew it was a rotten thing to do.

Doesn't mean the GAA club don't own it.
    Both sides claim ownership. From my dealings with a certain organization over the years, I wouldn't believe them if they told me black was white.

In my own parish, the pitch is owned by the community, but the GAA still managed to keep the soccer lads out by forcing the pitch to be closed for most of the soccer season, apparently to allow the pitch to recover. It was still acceptable for the GAA team to train on it though, but not for the soccer club to have one game every two weeks. This necessitated the club playing their home games over an hour away.

• Advertisement

Both sides claim ownership. From my dealings with a certain organization over the years, I wouldn't believe them if they told me black was white.

In my own parish, the pitch is owned by the community, but the GAA still managed to keep the soccer lads out by forcing the pitch to be closed for most of the soccer season, apparently to allow the pitch to recover. It was still acceptable for the GAA team to train on it though, but not for the soccer club to have one game every two weeks. This necessitated the club playing their home games over an hour away.

Fair enough, you don't like the GAA, thats one owns opinion, I accept that, and can see why you wouldn't like them. But no point saying its the GAA as a whole in all these situations, this is one incident for a club down in Kerry.

GAA:

Underhanded; Check
    Bigoted; Check
    Stubborn; Check

Sure even without this happening you can see the whole attitude of the GAA encapsulated in the Cork GAA row. And yet, soccer fans have to listen to gaa heads giving crap about the state of the game of soccer...

GAA:

Underhanded; Check
    Bigoted; Check
    Stubborn; Check

Sure even without this happening you can see the whole attitude of the GAA encapsulated in the Cork GAA row. And yet, soccer fans have to listen to gaa heads giving crap about the state of the game of soccer...

So people who give crap about Irish soccer are automatically GAA 'heads'? From what you say, you'd swear everyone in the GAA was the exact same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Fair enough, you don't like the GAA, thats one owns opinion, I accept that, and can see why you wouldn't like them. But no point saying its the GAA as a whole in all these situations, this is one incident for a club down in Kerry.
    It IS the GAA as a whole. These directives come from headquarters, not from local level.

CiaranC wrote: »
    It IS the GAA as a whole. These directives come from headquarters, not from local level.

So you think this club in Kerry asked those in HQ could they 'go and plough this pitch in the middle of the night? I'd say the club conveniantly left this out, which would mean HQ would authorise the re-development, but not in the manner in which it was cariied out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the actions of what went on, the club acted pathetically(and many more adjctives can be used aswell), but attacking the GAA as a whole in this case I find quite petty.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the actions of what went on, the club acted pathetically(and many more adjctives can be used aswell), but attacking the GAA as a whole in this case I find quite petty.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

So you think this club in Kerry asked those in HQ could they 'go and plough this pitch in the middle of the night? I'd say the club conveniantly left this out, which would mean HQ would authorise the re-development, but not in the manner in which it was cariied out.

Not really, its a build up of things. The GAA would do anything to rid itself of soccer. Full of pre-historic men who are unaware that the war of independence is over.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Haha, good one, but doesn't always work!
    DSB wrote: »
    Not really, its a build up of things. The GAA would do anything to rid itself of soccer. Full of pre-historic men who are unaware that the war of independence is over.

Yes, and theres also a lot of people who get on with things, but many people just like to conveniently ignore this bit.

Yes, and theres also a lot of people who get on with things, but many people just like to conveniently ignore this bit.

LOL at my example, but I'm sure there were decent and honest members of the Nazi party, who disagreed with the actions of their leaders, that doesn't change the fact that the GAA would willingly eradicate soccer from Ireland.

I'm not attacking your logic Mushy, but it isn't an isolated incident. Apart from my own area, I ran out of fingers counting the amount of disputes involving the GAA that I know of. It is the mentality of the association as a unit.

Again, citing my own experiences, I was verbally abused and was threatened with violence when I questioned the claim of a certain committee over the right to use a certain facility.

• Advertisement

LOL at my example, but I'm sure there were decent and honest members of the Nazi party, who disagreed with the actions of their leaders, that doesn't change the fact that the GAA would willingly eradicate soccer from Ireland.

Depending on who you talk to, yeah, they might want it gone, and they are the pre-historic minded people you would have talked about. But no, the GAA wouldn't eradicate soccer from Ireland, quite the opposite considering the organisation allowed soccer be played in the main stadium to keep home games within the country.

Depending on who you talk to, yeah, they might want it gone, and they are the pre-historic minded people you would have talked about. But no, the GAA wouldn't eradicate soccer from Ireland, quite the opposite considering the organisation allowed soccer be played in the main stadium to keep home games within the country.

I'm pretty sure that was done for financial reasons. They're making a fortune from it.

What rubbish. The GAA as a whole is the problem.

Directives for this, for Lusk, for Tallaght and for countless other land grabs came directly from GAA HQ.

I'm not attacking your logic Mushy, but it isn't an isolated incident. Apart from my own area, I ran out of fingers counting the amount of disputes involving the GAA that I know of. It is the mentality of the association as a unit.

Again, citing my own experiences, I was verbally abused and was threatened with violence when I questioned the claim of a certain committee over the right to use a certain facility.

I find that reflects more poorly on those individuals, and shouldn't hamper the view of the organisation(although it inevitably will, as with anyone). Disputes happen everywhere, especially in the GAA's case as there are so many rules bout land and what/who plays where, all in place for decades. The only reason I'd keep GAA/soccer pitches seperate is because of the size of a GAA pitch.

I'm pretty sure that was done for financial reasons. They're making a fortune from it.

Could still have been opposed by so many people. Were movements against it, but it still went through. They were hardly going to let them use it for free. No organisation would do that.
    What rubbish. The GAA as a whole is the problem.

Directives for this, for Lusk, for Tallaght and for countless other land grabs came directly from GAA HQ.

In this case it is argued the GAA club own the pitch, so they can do what they want(once planning permission was granted).

To recognise the Tallaght point, as much as I don't want this debated once again, I still don't think the GAA were attacking Rovers, moreso the decision by the CDCC to build a municipial ground, but which conveniently left out GAA facilities. In saying, Thomas Davies acted like idiots, and were unfortunately aided financially by the GAA, although can be countered that the club would have disappeared otherwise, and this is what the GAA wanted to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Not much point arguing until we find out who actually owns the pitch.

I presume the GAA seeked legal advice before proceeding, I wouldn't be surprised if they didnt tho

Not much point arguing until we find out who actually owns the pitch.

I presume the GAA seeked legal advice before proceeding, I wouldn't be surprised if they didnt tho
    They did in their hole. They are the law. :mad:

Even if they owned the pitch, ploughing it is a ridiculous thing to do. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Pathetic behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

GAA:

Underhanded; Check
    Bigoted; Check
    Stubborn; Check

that's a pile of bollix. I played GAA and Soccer as a young one, never a bother. In fact the managers used be aware of the others schedule and design the training sessions accordingly. Most GAA clubs are fine, made up of of good honest hardworking people who love their sport and just want to see the best for their members. Don't tarnish them all with kind of bigoted sh*te your spouting. Every institution has gob****es at every level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

But no point saying its the GAA as a whole in all these situations, this is one incident for a club down in Kerry.
    So people who give crap about Irish soccer are automatically GAA 'heads'? From what you say, you'd swear everyone in the GAA was the exact same.

Everyone in the GAA IS the same

"ah shure, tis nawthin te dew wit me shure, that was dowin in Kerry so it was, nawtin te dew wit me at all, at all, well holy god"

You are the epitome of this mindset.

Are you going to bring this incident up with your club to take to county and ultimately national lever?

Thought not, shure, it doesn't affect you.

Just like Tallaght didn't affect you, just like Lusk doesn't affect you.

This act of ploughing the field was nothing short of reprehensible behaviour by a group of rednecked bigots, typical of those in power in the GAA up and down the land, from under twelve to senior county to national council.

Nothing has changed.

Gahzis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

No they don't.

This would have been a local decision.

Get your facts right before you go mouthing off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Des wrote: »

"ah shure, tis nawthin te dew wit me shure, that was dowin in Kerry so it was, nawtin te dew wit me at all, at all, well holy god"

Are you going to bring this incident up with your club to take to county and ultimately national lever?

This act of ploughing the field was nothing short of reprehensible behaviour by a group of rednecked bigots, typical of those in power in the GAA up and down the land, from under twelve to senior county to national council.

Nothing has changed.

Gahzis.

And your attitude is typical of the bitter soccer head who wishes his organisation was as well run as the GAA.

How is it reprehensible behaviour? What if it turns out the local GAA club DO own the land?

They're entitled to do what they like with it if they do.

kraggy wrote: »
    No they don't.

The kerryman article quotes the local club official as saying that the directive came from HQ. It wasnt a local decision. So my facts are right.

that's a pile of bollix. I played GAA and Soccer as a young one, never a bother. In fact the managers used be aware of the others schedule and design the training sessions accordingly.
    And the grass was kept short by a herd of unicorns...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

We have a lovely Community Centre in our town that was collected for from all the people as such. Shame you cant get near it if you play soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

And your attitude is typical of the bitter soccer head who wishes his organisation was as well run as the GAA.
    Nothing to do with the FAI, so I have no idea why they have been brought into this.
    How is it reprehensible behaviour?
    ploughing a field so a few kids can't play a game of ball on it, out of nothing but malice, under the cover of darkness can only be described as reprehensible.

What do you call it?

Civilised behaviour?
    What if it turns out the local GAA club DO own the land?
    My mind won't change.

Tell me what has been achieved by this act?

Nothing other than removing the ability of a group of kids to partake in a sports game.

Do you think that's right?

Or are you even going to address this point, or keep on reporting posts until the issue disappears?
    They're entitled to do what they like with it if they do.

Indeed they are, but you must ask yourself, why is the group you are defending so hell bent on stopping a group of kids to play a game of ball that they'd plough a field in darkness?

It IS reprehensible, bigoted and short sighted in the extreme, if you feel comfortable defening this callous act, depriving kids of a playing field, go right ahead, but it makes you no better than those responsible

We have a lovely Community Centre in our town that was collected for from all the people as such. Shame you cant get near it if you play soccer.
    Ah sure, bogarrah, thats ony the low-cal G Ay Ay club, nothin to do with the G Ay Ay at all, at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Both come out of that looking like a bunch of kids tbh. Digging a hole in the GAA pitch afterwards in retaliation?..as idiotic as each other

Between this and the Scots during the week, is the recession also causing a regression or something?!?

I have to agree with Des, I just cant see any logic in it at all.

Why plough a field that is in active use by another club?

The Gaa, taking its ball and going home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Lads, don't **** with the GAA. Jesus is on their side :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

I find that reflects more poorly on those individuals, and shouldn't hamper the view of the organisation(although it inevitably will, as with anyone).

A wise man once said Attitude reflects leadership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭johnmahon010186

No they don't.

Did you even read the article?! The county board chairman Jerome Conway clearly states "We have been given a directive by Croke Park to use the property according to the rules and that's what we are doing".

Whats so hard to understand about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

micks wrote: »
    A wise man once said Attitude reflects leadership.

Julius?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

...and I'll tell you what else...if this was brought up on the gah forum, it would be shut down as trolling.

FYI there has been a thread about this on the GAA forum for the last few days

Gahzis.

Godwin?

Enough of the Nazi references please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Typical of the Grab All Association's mindset to be honest and far from surprising that the orders came down from HQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

As Cruiserweight noted, this has already been discussed in the GAA forum in a reasonable manner, and the consensus generally is that the move by the GAA club was ill-advised and regretable, if seemingly legal, while the retaliation by the soccer club was likewise childish and unnecessary.

If the GAA discussion is anything to go by, I'm sure I can speak for the majority of GAA members in saying the GAA club handling the situation petulantly and in a belligerent manner that goes against the community spirit the GAA attempts to spread. Hopefully, the GAA, soccer club and local community can come to another agreement that facilities all sides. ;)

Finally, lets do our best to keep this discussion civil and constructive, and eschew the name-calling and unwitty insults. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

But no, the GAA wouldn't eradicate soccer from Ireland, quite the opposite considering the organisation allowed soccer be played in the main stadium to keep home games within the country.

Ah, the ol' Croke Park opened defence..from the article and oft conveniently ignored and/or forgotten
    monkey9 wrote: »
    The suspension of GAA's Rule 42, banning soccer from the association's pitches, does not apply outside Croke Park.

Nothing has changed.

Gahzis.

My brother and nephews play both GAA and soccer, where do they fall under your little soccer/'Gah' dichotomy there Des? Are they confused and in need of urgent rehabilitation? Are they half-breeds? Some kinds of race traitors?

Seemingly, they enjoy playing both sports without prejudice, crazy bastards.;)

GAA:

Underhanded; Check
    Bigoted; Check
    Stubborn; Check

Irony; the use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement