Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The GAA at it again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jesus1222 wrote: »
    And you do seem to invest a lot of time talking about Manchester United.

I like all football, not just Shelbourne, so I like to type about everything that interests me.

What this has to do with the conversation at hand I have no idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

Des wrote: »
    I like all football, not just Shelbourne, so I like to type about everything that interests me.

What this has to do with the conversation at hand I have no idea

Well I think the bottom line is that there is a whole lot of hypocrisy here, I know myself who the bigots are. And I've yet to read bigotted comments by a GAA supporter, only from soccer fans, SOME of whom spend a lot of time and money supporting English clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I think its time for a lock. Civilised conversation and evidential points finished long ago. Now we are getting into, my organisation is better than yours nad your not a fan because you once went out of the country to watch football...

We are getting nowhere and have long since discussed the main issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Jesus1222 wrote: »
    Well I think the bottom line is that there is a whole lot of hypocrisy here, I know myself who the bigots are. And I've yet to read bigotted comments by a GAA supporter, only from soccer fans, SOME of whom spend a lot of time and money supporting English clubs.

Here's a few reactions to the story from the hogan stand:
    ploughing in the dark is harder to keep the line straight, they should have waited until daylight and then ploughed down all the soccer balls and goals as well along with all the white boots etc.
    excellent.pity there wasnt more of them ploughed up!
    I think the time is right to start getting out the grindrers and chainsaws to cut all soccer and rugby goals down across Ireland.
    Rightly so,hope they took the goals down as well!
    go on a nationwide tour and tear all the soccer pitches up
    Soccer should be banned in kerry There is no place for it on a Gaa pitch
    By god thats put me in great form..only in Ireland!Didn't think the Kerry folk would but up with that horses**te anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

iregk wrote: »
    I think its time for a lock. Civilised conversation and evidential points finished long ago. Now we are getting into, my organisation is better than yours nad your not a fan because you once went out of the country to watch football...

We are getting nowhere and have long since discussed the main issue.

The thread has certainly moved away from Castlemaine United and Milltown/Castlemaine GAA club, that's for sure.

Closed for the moment, there may be a review of that decision in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Thread reopened, I urge everyone interested in contributing to consider the numerous on-thread warnings about behaviour, as well as the forum charter, before posting.

Milltown/Castlemaine issue statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

On completion, the field will be available (like every other GAA pitch in the county and country) to all activities except those prohibited by Rule 42 of the association, which is outside the remit of the local club (i.e soccer and rugby). Milltown/Castlemaine GAA Club must abide by the rules of their association. The Club understands that this will disadvantage Castlemaine United Soccer Club but would ask them to look at the overall benefits to the community. Milltown Castlemaine has no doubt but that the community will row in behind Castlemaine United in securing an alternate venue.

So they're hiding behind Rule 42.

Also -

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/picket-to-be-placed-at-kerrygalway-clash-1702211.html

Picket to be placed at Kerry-Galway clash

Dispute over pitch takes to the streets

CASTLEMAINE locals will picket outside Kerry GAA's Tralee HQ prior to Kerry's top-of-the-table clash with Galway this Sunday in protest at the nightime ploughing of the local sportsfield under the instructions of the GAA.

Castlemaine Community Sportsfield Action Group has held several meetings since the pitch was ploughed, with up to 150 concerned parties attending at one stage. The group now feels that a protest is the only course of action open to them.

The protest outside the Kerry—Galway game on Sunday will again bring the heated dispute to national attention.

The issue hit national headlines last week after The Kerryman highlighted the issue. On Monday, RTÉ's Liveline programme carried a 45-minute debate with County Board Chairman Jerome Conway discussing the issue with soccer and community interests. During the show, both sides claimed to have documentary evidence concerning ownership.

A statement from the executive of the Milltown/Castlemaine GAA Club this week points to registration of the land by the Land Registry Authority and full planning permission, while the action group refers to the original deeds of the land as handed over by the Spring Walker family to the community in 1936.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seems like a case of bluster and half-truths from the GAA. No explanation as to why they skulked about in the dark off night to destroy the pitch.

It's almost sickening the way the GAA hide behind Rule 42 and seek to drive a wedge between themselves and football/rugby teams and yet demand to be accomodated in every single new development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

That statement clears a lot of things up. There's definitely no doubt the GAA club own the pitch and that the "controversy" regarding ploughing the field in the middle of the night is pretty much null and void. In fact, it's hilarious to read back at the original article posted last week. They make it seem as if there was some malice in their actions.

Regarding some people here proclaiming "the GAA ordered to dig up a pitch used by the soccer club", that's completely missing the point. Once planning permission was secured, the club went through mandatory protocol and let Croke Park aware that the development was immenent, and HQ agreed. What's wrong with that?

The only thing I do take issue with is what have the soccer club being doing playing on the pitch up until now. Why only bring up Rule 42 now if they've been playing there for years?

• Advertisement

No explanation as to why they skulked about in the dark off night to destroy the pitch.

There is.
    Works were then scheduled at 6am on Friday, March 27, to ensure the safety of children attending day care and indeed all patrons entering and exiting the Castlemaine Community Hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

From reading the thread on HoganStand and here it seems that the land was granted to community in the 1930s, 2 of the 3 trustees were GAA people,1 wasn't, that person died, with no opposition the land was given by the remaining trustees to the GAA? is this right anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

From reading the thread on HoganStand and here it seems that the land was granted to community in the 1930s, 2 of the 3 trustees were GAA people,1 wasn't, that person died, with no opposition the land was given by the remaining trustees to the GAA? is this right anyone?

It would be legal I imagine, but if the lands were intended for the community, I think that there would certainly be vested interests in their actions.

It is interesting that they mention the community supporting the soccer team. Surely the club itself is part of the community or are they above/aside from the community?

I have no experience with the GAA organization, but I have seen nothing so far that puts them in good light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

GuanYin wrote: »
    It would be legal I imagine, but if the lands were intended for the community, I think that there would certainly be vested interests in their actions.

It is interesting that they mention the community supporting the soccer team. Surely the club itself is part of the community or are they above/aside from the community?

I have no experience with the GAA organization, but I have seen nothing so far that puts them in good light.

Can you honestly say you've seen nothing EVER that puts the GAA in a good light?

Buck_Naked wrote: »
    Can you honestly say you've seen nothing EVER that puts the GAA in a good light?

I saw a game once that I quite enjoyed, I wouldn't say it gave me any opinion about the organization.

Otherwise, yes. Everything I'm seen or read and especially any interactions I've had... not good.

I saw a game once that I quite enjoyed, I wouldn't say it gave me any opinion about the organization.

Otherwise, yes. Everything I'm seen or read and especially any interactions I've had... not good.

Not even the organisations decision to temporarily open Croke Park for soccer and rugby?

• Advertisement

Daysha wrote: »
    Not even the organisations decision to temporarily open Croke Park for soccer and rugby?

Ah here, they may have allowed it eventually but they didn't half make a song and dance about it.

This has all the ingredients for a protracted legal battle by the looks of it. Surely there is some kind of recourse for the soccer club if the GAA have acquired the land via the backdoor.

Have you read this post as one example?
    My local GAA club allows my football team the use of its all weather training facility for all 3 of our senior teams. We train on it after them so they don't take any money off us for the lights as they go outside onto the grass to do some extra work after they've finished inside. They have done this for a number of the local soccer teams as I trained there as a kid for another local team and I see other groups using it when we arrive there.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ah here, they may have allowed it eventually but they didn't half make a song and dance about it.

That's not the point. In the future, if the GAA is ever forced to play a match in the new Lansdowne, I'm sure there will be soccer people up and down the country rubbing our noses in it. I know it's physically impossible due to pitch size, but I'm just saying, it was a big decision to make.

And as much as many of the soccer fans will hate to admit it, if it weren't for the GAA and Croke Park, the Irish rugby and soccer team would have spent the past two years playing their home games in Cardiff or Glasgow.

That alone, must improve peoples opinions of the GAA, if even by a tiny, tiny bit.

That's not the point.

It is the point.

We're talking about the GAA, it's reputation, and it being painted in a bad light. Their initial reaction to the request to open Croke Park was a negative one and they dragged and dragged the whole thing out for far longer than was necessary.

Yes fair play, they let other sports in eventually, but they moaned a hell of a lot along the way.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yes fair play, they let other sports in eventually

And that's the only thing that mattered in the end of the day. Who cared if it dragged on and on? As long as Croker was open by the time work on Lansdowne begun, it didn't matter how long it went on for.

Like I said, considering the whole history and tradition behind Croker, I don't blame them for thinking about it as long as they did.

I just find it weird is that they gave you and every soccer fan what they wanted, yet all you can talk about is that they took too long over their decision and became too hot of a debate for your liking.

:confused:

It doesn't really have anything to do with me, but my understanding is that they are charging corporate leasing rates for what is effectively a tax payer-funded ground? I think at the very least, that would be capitalistic greed.

In addition, they had no problem allowing foreign concerts and foreign games in the ground before soccer.
    Have you read this post as one example?

Again, that isn't an experience of mine, as an outsider looking in, I am kinda shocked at the lack of solidarity and pettiness in such a small sporting nation.

Anyway, this is really off topic, not a soccer forum discussion and not what I intended, so yes... the club, the issue etc.

And that's the only thing that mattered in the end of the day. Who cared if it dragged on and on? As long as Croker was open by the time work on Lansdowne begun, it didn't matter how long it went on for.

Like I said, considering the whole history and tradition behind Croker, I don't blame them for thinking about it as long as they did.

I just find it weird is that they gave you and every soccer fan what they wanted, yet all you can talk about is that they took too long over their decision and became too hot of a debate for your liking.

If you want to black and white it then fair enough, but I don't like how the GAA went about it. Basically making the FAI/IRFU beg for the stadium then charging them through the roof it.

They certainly didn't open it as a goodwill gesture.

they gave

they did not "give" anything.

They are charging a pretty penny for it.

Some might, indeed some DO, say that they took their thirty pieces of silver.

We are in 2009, the GAA had no problem allowing American Football, The special olympics and pop concerts into Croke Park, why the issue with any other sport? The history & tradition of Croke Park belongs to us as Irish People and Taxpayers, it, which is acknowledged by the Irish Government funding its rebuild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Having not read through the entire thread...i'm surprised at just how many people do give a XXXX....:p

Eirebear wrote: »
    Having not read through the entire thread...i'm surprised at just how many people do give a XXXX....:p

:eek:

A Rangers fan in a gah thread?

Quick, someone get the holy water.

Again, that isn't an experience of mine, as an outsider looking in, I am kinda shocked at the lack of solidarity and pettiness in such a small sporting nation.

Anyway, this is really off topic, not a soccer forum discussion and not what I intended, so yes... the club, the issue etc.

I don't think the fact that it isn't an experience of yours is relevant GY. It seems that you allow other negative occurances that haven't been an experience of yours to influence your opinion of the GAA so why not let some positive occurances have the same influence? It also seems that the only occasion when a non-GAA person becomes aware of GAA activites is when they are negative.

I don't think the fact that it isn't an experience of yours is relevant GY.
    The defense rests.

It also seems that the only occasion when a non-GAA person becomes aware of GAA activites is when they are negative.

Do you ever wonder why this is?

• Advertisement

The defense rests.

Could you go into more detail on this point please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

The GAA Club plays most of its football in Miltown and that would be its larger community base afaik. I would also imagine the people in the town of Castlemaine are objecting to the pitch being ploughed up (regardless of sporting affiliation) including GAA members. You only have to look at other disputes like the Cork Hurling incident to understand that sometime an exec decision is made without the knowledge or approval of club members.

Just because the club is part of the community doesnt preclude the community form expressing anger at this incident.

Obviously you have seen very little of the GAA if you have seen nothing that puts them in a good light. They do more good than harm and are an essential part of Irish culture. If you have 5 mins check this out ..its a great program http://www.cul4kidz.com/culbytes3.htm

also not sure if this was posted .. http://www.kerryman.ie/news/milltowncastlemaine-gaa-club-statement-regarding-pitch-issue-1702295.html

Yavvy wrote: »
    are an essential part of Irish culture

How dare you.

They are not an "essential" part of anything to do with me.

I am Irish, my parents are Irish and my grandparents are/were Irish.

Could you go into more detail on this point please?

I came upon this sorry affair with no opinion of the GAA, it's supporters or anything to do with it.

In doing my own research, reading about the organization and it's history, talking to very level and fair, non-sporting people about the history and in dealing with the people who support (and maybe represent) the organization, I have come across nothing that makes me think that the organization is more than a cultural mafia that relies on history that most of the rest of the island has put behind them, out to bully it's way into getting what it needs or wants and despite claiming to want fair and open community relations (such as this case above) has done nothing itself to promote that.

Your remark above about my experience not being important, well I bet if I thought the other way it would be.

Life is about give and take. All I see is take.

If thats how you define culture then your claiming that there is no such thing as culture. If its not true for you then its not true for the Irish culture ?

It is essential

and like it or not, it is part of you - not essential for you but formative.
    The Incident in Croke Park with you being split up from your dad springs to mind.

The GAA is part of who you are today Des..it has to be in order to Hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Des wrote: »
    :eek:

A Rangers fan in a gah thread?

Quick, someone get the holy water.

Meh! I attempted the whole running and kicking the ball to yourself thing when i moved to ireland as a kid....didnt last long.

A guy punched me in the face and ran away with the ball, then the manager gave me a bollocking because i touched him with two hands at the same time....strange stuff :confused:

I came upon this sorry affair with no opinion of the GAA, it's supporters or anything to do with it.

In doing my own research, reading about the organization and it's history, talking to very level and fair, non-sporting people about the history and in dealing with the people who support (and maybe represent) the organization, I have come across nothing that makes me think that the organization is more than a cultural mafia that relies on history that most of the rest of the island has put behind them, out to bully it's way into getting what it needs or wants and despite claiming to want fair and open community relations (such as this case above) has done nothing itself to promote that.

Your remark above about my experience not being important, well I bet if I thought the other way it would be.

The only reason that I said that your experience was not important is that you are basing your opinion on what seems to be nothing but negative third party stories. Where is the balance? I simply tried to bring one anecdote to the table as you stated you hadn't seen anything that painted the GAA in a good light.

There are plenty of good things about the GAA and yes there are unfortunately plenty of bad things but to say the GAA and I will assume unless corrected all it's members are all take is simply untrue.

Eirebear wrote: »
    A guy punched me in the face and ran away with the ball,

Smell of hun off you, that's why.

You deserved that.

I can only conclude that your research was very poorly completed.
    Your opinion on the GAA from my perspective is ignorant and ill informed.

Im not defending this incident with Castlemaine and there are many others to be concerned with to. But I feel it really important to press home the point that the GAA as an organisation in Ireland is an asset and a credit to this nation. They Give a lot more back than they take and having their name dragged through the mud like this is very disappointing if unsurprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I am a blow in to the Milltown/Castlemaine area, living here 2 odd years.

I am both a GAA and soccer fan but more of a GAA fan

From talking to people I know from other clubs in Kerry I have never heard anyone say a good word about Milltown/Castlemaine GAA Club

I can only conclude that your research was very poorly completed.
    Your opinion on the GAA from my perspective is ignorant and ill informed.

You're conclusion is faulty. I was versed on the formation of the GAA, the importance of it's role in Irish history and it's role in recent times. I'm a pretty thorough person..... ask the people here.

I'm more concerned with recent times as they are the people alive now, making decisions.
    Im not defending this incident with Castlemaine and there are many others to be concerned with to. But I feel it really important to press home the point that the GAA as an organisation in Ireland is an asset and a credit to this nation. They Give a lot more back than they take and having their name dragged through the mud like this is very disappointing if unsurprising.

We'll agree to disagree. If the GAA is all the things you say it is, it's PR department should be fired.

Actually, just noticed the name change - you are more than well aware of the type of attitude that has helped form my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Revisionist ahoy!

You should acknowledge first that the GAA's beginnings are at the center of a period of remarkable cultural dynamism in late 19th century Ireland, the beginnings of a greater awakening of what it meant to be Irish and a period that begun not just a uniquely Irish sporting organisation, but also of great Irish literature, theatre, language, music, political and general arts advancements. Very simply the GAA was created at the heart of a cultural, social and political revolution that eventually lead to the great Irish cultural achievements that we take pride in and Irish self-determination itself.

However once this revoltution turned into the status quo, and the revolutionaries turned into the conservatives, the GAA like any other Irish organisation fell prey to a state and over-riding culture of conservatism and insecurity that we only now are beginning to get rid of. Naturally to pick upon and isolate the GAA, and ignore the social context, when it was part of, and molded by, a far greater political and cultural malaise amongst Irish society led by the far more powerful and important dangers of Irish goverments and the Catholic Church, is petty and disingenous.

As it is part of nearly every community and embedded within Irish culture and society, and not only important as one of the very very few uniquely Irish things in existence, it will change and progress as Irish society changes and progresses, often leading the way (note for example, its important community vision in an often lonely modern societies and its very successful attempts at inclusion of non-national communities) when it is not limited by the stifling state and religious repression that marked 20th century Ireland.

Orizio wrote: »
    Revisionist ahoy!

You should acknowledge first that the GAA's beginnings are at the center of a period of remarkable cultural dynamism in late 19th century Ireland

Why would you assume I didn't. A journalist, non-sport fan and person whom I trust gave me a very thorough (as only he can - he's also an SMOD btw) and unbiased history and perspective dating right back to the role of Parnell in 1884.

It helped me understand the organization and it's importance in your country. It doesn't shed any light on the attitudes of the GAA today any more than the Irish war of independence, civil war and northern Irish sectarianism explains the attitudes of the RIRA. An unfair comparison, but both are living in the past (and I don't want to see any focus on this).

The point is, on topic, that the GAA are part of a community of Irish men and women. The soccer people they screwed over are Irish men and women. The days of the Garrisons are gone, the days of the global community are here.

To put things in perspective. If the MLB or any American association acted like the GAA... they wouldn't last a second here, they wouldn't be tolerated.

what its it that the GAA get away with that would not be tolerated if MLB did it GuanYin ?

How do you compare the GAA to Professional baseball - Are MLB in the business of providing local baseball grounds in every town in the USA ?? I don't know so Im honestly asking. I had thought MLB was a commercial organisation concerned with Profit and the like ?

The soccer people they screwed over ? the GAA has a mandate to promote and protect Gaelic Games in Ireland not to make sure every citizen of Ireland is delighted with them. As far as I can tell - while they have gone totally the wrong way about it - they are within their rights. They are trying to develop something they love and its worth fighting for ( and looks like it will be good for the entire community in the long run) just like Shamrock Rvs fought and Won against Thomas Davis ( which I agreed with ).

You said somewhere else you are taking an unbiased independent view of this.. I don't think you are.

what its it that the GAA get away with that would not be tolerated if MLB did it GuanYin ?
    Their prejudice against other sports and even people based on their profession or heritage (I'm told it would still be unsafe for a protestant to play GAA in Derry for instance).
    How do you compare the GAA to Professional baseball - Are MLB in the business of providing local baseball grounds in every town in the USA ?? I don't know so Im honestly asking. I had thought MLB was a commercial organisation concerned with Profit and the like ?
    It is, but it is also an American Sport. It wants to be loved and followed by it's people so MLB would never, for example, try and conflict with another sports organization.
    Look at the way the sporting seasons are organized in the US... co-operative or at least, co-existing..

There is no profit from alienating potential fans (something I tell Irish league Soccer fans all the time).
    The soccer people they screwed over ? the GAA has a mandate to promote and protect Gaelic Games in Ireland not to make sure every citizen of Ireland is delighted with them. As far as I can tell - while they have gone totally the wrong way about it - they are within their rights. They are trying to develop something they love and its worth fighting for ( and looks like it will be good for the entire community in the long run) just like Shamrock Rvs fought and Won against Thomas Davis ( which I agreed with ).

Again see above about alienation. That is what I am getting from people. The GAA is a bully organization that tries to promote itself at the expense of others rather than actually try and co-exist and accept that the people want icecream AND chocolate, not just one or the other.
    You said somewhere else you are taking an unbiased independent view of this.. I don't think you are.
    Oh I was unbiased. Dealing with hypocrites and bullies tends to swing you one way or the other.

• Advertisement

Why would you assume I didn't.
    A journalist, non-sport fan and person whom I trust gave me a very thorough (as only he can - he's also an SMOD btw) and unbiased history and perspective dating right back to the role of Parnell in 1884.

I'm hoping your opinion isn't simply mimicry of another person's opinion?

In truth, his and your stance of the GAA seems to be of the revisionist angle, an elitist and increasingly attacked interpretation consciously at odds with anything it percieves as Republican or Nationalist in Irish culture. Very simply, revisionists often decry anything that has popular appeal in Ireland as backwards and dangerous in a highly generalising manner.
    It helped me understand the organization and it's importance in your country. It doesn't shed any light on the attitudes of the GAA today any more than the Irish war of independence, civil war and northern Irish sectarianism explains the attitudes of the RIRA. An unfair comparison, but both are living in the past (and I don't want to see any focus on this).

But your basing your opinion on what exactly? The opinions of one man?

I'm sorry, but its difficult to take your opinion seriously when it seems like it not actually your opinion, and apparently not based on your own practical or intellectual experiences.
    The point is, on topic, that the GAA are part of a community of Irish men and women. The soccer people they screwed over are Irish men and women. The days of the Garrisons are gone, the days of the global community are here.

And I pointed out two ways in which the GAA can be seen to be progressive, nevermind of the utmost cultural importance - care to debate these points?

Oh I was unbiased. Dealing with hypocrites and bullies tends to swing you one way or the other.

Who can I ask are you referring to here? Obviously the GAA but who to you are the GAA? The upper echelons or all it's members. Just for clarity.

Orizio wrote: »
    his and your stance of the GAA seems to be of the revisionist angle, an elitist and increasingly attacked interpretation consciously at odds with anything it percieves as Republican or Nationalist in Irish culture. Very simply, revisionists often decry anything that has popular appeal in Ireland as backwards and dangerous in a highly generalising manner.

Where have I given detail for this conclusion?

If you can't show me this, I suggest you retract.

But your basing your opinion on what exactly? The opinions of one man?
    No, I told you what my opinions are on.
    I'm sorry, but its difficult to take your opinion seriously when it seems like it not actually your opinion, and apparently not based on your own practical or intellectual experiences.

I've stated clearly that they are my opinons.

I seriously suggest you refrain from mis-representing me.

Again, your attitude here is exactly what I've encountered .
    And I pointed out two ways in which the GAA can be seen to be progressive, nevermind of the utmost cultural importance - care to debate these points?
    Which two ways? Opening Croke park? Id id tell you what I thought of that.

Their prejudice against other sports and even people based on their profession or heritage (I'm told it would still be unsafe for a protestant to play GAA in Derry for instance).

But again this point is completely without social context - if its unsafe its because of the sercterian history of Derry city, not because of the organization itself, which in recent years has attempted to gain support from protestant communities in difficult Northern areas and has many of non-Catholic beliefs playing the sport in the south.

Your above argument is akin to me saying soccer, and only soccer, is to blame for the often violent antagonistic relationship between Rangers/Celtic supporters, rather then the underlying religious and social schisms.

Where have I given detail for this conclusion?

If you can't show me this, I suggest you retract.

I'm basing this off what you said - are you familiar with the Revisionist poistion on the GAA and Irish culture/history in general?
    I've stated clearly that they are my opinons.

I seriously suggest you refrain from mis-representing me.

Again, your attitude here is exactly what I've encountered .

Unless i misunderstood, you stating your opinions were based on what a ieboards smod has told you of the GAA?

So I'm not confused, please do tell me where exactly you are getting 'your' opinions on the GAA from - beyond that one ieboards moderator of course.

Which two ways? Opening Croke park? Id id tell you what I thought of that.

It what is in the post you qouted, which seemingly you didn't read. I don't repeat myself so do go back and read it.

And no, opening Croker wasn't one of the examples.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement