Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The GAA at it again

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

K-9 wrote: »
    Nah they wouldn't, because they aren't.

LOL 6 Million. The GAA and IRFU have 32 county competitions so yes, it's accurate to count the whole Ireland.

Soccer is run on a 26 county basis, barring the Setanta Cup.

On a purely organisational point, it is a 32 county body.

Unless you're a Protestant or a member of the North's policing body. Oh wait, those rules haven't been existence for a few years now so no problems there.

The GAA are not part of the Irish id. I don't care how many members they technically have (and lets not even get in to how many of those 800,000 members are arsed going to a non-Championship game in the depths of winter)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

vote4pedro wrote: »
    Unless you're a Protestant or a member of the North's policing body. Oh wait, those rules haven't been existence for a few years now so no problems there.

The GAA are not part of the Irish id. I don't care how many members they technically have (and lets not even get in to how many of those 800,000 members are arsed going to a non-Championship game in the depths of winter)

The GAA does some great cross community work at school level.
    Get with the times will ya. The PSNI have a team, not a very good one but they have one.

NFL and NHL games regularly get 5/10,000 at games, attendances the LOI could only dream of.
    Indeed, the attendances at 4 Division 1 games on Sunday will probably beat a round of LOI games in 2 Divisions.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The FAI also do great cross-community work at school level, and have never had any exclusionary rules, and still don't to this day. Unlike the GAA. Therefore, the FAI speak to the soul of the nation. Now let's see what else we can say is an integral part of this nation...tayto crisps anyone?

As for the attendances thing, with 800,000 members so proud of this integral truly "irish" game, I dont see why 5/10k are great crowds if we're using membership numbers to validate the GAA's 'special position'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I'm going to listen to Pat. Anyone that can't take into consideration 800,000 members when discussing the importance of said organisation doesn't even deserve to be debated with.

I'm done with you now.

The FAI also do great cross-community work at school level, and have never had any exclusionary rules, and still don't to this day. Unlike the GAA. Therefore, the FAI speak to the soul of the nation. Now let's see what else we can say is an integral part of this nation...tayto crisps anyone?

As for the attendances thing, with 800,000 members so proud of this integral truly "irish" game, I dont see why 5/10k are great crowds if we're using membership numbers to validate the GAA's 'special position'

Are you really going to get into attendances and members? Seriously?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Are you really going to get into attendances and members? Seriously?

Lol, go on, do it. I'd like to read that one :D

Yeah, I have pretty much had it with Pedro too.

Sorry mate but you seem to ignore everything anyone says that shows one of your points is wrong and then you make sweeping statements. If you want to say the FAI is superior to the GAA then go ahead. Obviously I disagree but it seems to be what you are getting at.

I won't be debating it with you anymore anyway as you seem to be just kicking mud in this thread.

Des and dfx- and to a lesser extent therecklessone I am more than willing to debate with however.

Yeah, I have pretty much had it with Pedro too.

Sorry mate but you seem to ignore everything anyone says that shows one of your points is wrong and then you make sweeping statements. If you want to say the FAI is superior to the GAA then go ahead. Obviously I disagree but it seems to be what you are getting at.

Jesus wept, I've never said the FAI is superior to the GAA, I've just said the GAA isn't integral to the Irish psyche. It isn't. The best argument that has been elucidated in favour of that is that the GAA has x amount of members. My point about attendances suggests that having x amount of members doesn't translate in to people actually partaking or going to these games. I've never said soccer gets bigger crowds, I began by saying soccer and rugby don't speak to the soul of the nation or are integral to the national id either.

I'm still waiting for one of my points to be proven wrong about Rule 42, I say its a disgrace, GAA fans seem to agree but say ah sure thats how things are but it wont be like that forever but what can you do. My point is it is that current attitude that is a disgrace, as well as the GAAs behaviour in Tallaght, Lusk and Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The GAA is a bastion of Irish conservatism, just like those other institutions mentioned - The Catholic Church & Irish politics. To expect it to be in tune with such Liberal 21st Century thought is a futile exercise Pedro.

Daysha wrote: »
    I'm going to listen to Pat. Anyone that can't take into consideration 800,000 members when discussing the importance of said organisation doesn't even deserve to be debated with.

I'm done with you now.

I never said I couldn't take it in to consideration, I just said having 800,000 doesn't make it an indisputablely integral part of the nation.

An integral part of the nations sporting make up, yes. Just like soccer and rugby. Speaking to the souls of all true Irishmen, no, no matter how many members are on the books.

• Advertisement

The GAA is a bastion of Irish conservatism, just like those other institutions mentioned - The Catholic Church & Irish politics. To expect it to be in tune with such Liberal 21st Century thought is a futile exercise Pedro.

I know, and yet still I keep coming back for more/biting :( .

I'm still waiting for one of my points to be proven wrong about Rule 42, I say its a disgrace, GAA fans seem to agree but say ah sure thats how things are but it wont be like that forever but what can you do. My point is it is that current attitude that is a disgrace, as well as the GAAs behaviour in Tallaght, Lusk and Kerry.

OK, last time.

You aren't making a point you are stating an opinion.

No GAA fan has said "ah sure that's how it is what can you do?".

What I said was that now is not the best time to try and change this rule because for the GAA it will cause more trouble internally than it is worth but if we wait a while it will be far simpler to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

dont expect a large number of posters here to appreciate how important and how much great work the GAA does in every community in this country. A lot of them will be outside that experience in fact many will have been adversely effected.

I never said I couldn't take it in to consideration, I just said having 800,000 doesn't make it an indisputablely integral part of the nation.

An integral part of the nations sporting make up, yes. Just like soccer and rugby. Speaking to the souls of all true Irishmen, no, no matter how many members are on the books.

The above is your answer. Also doesn't necessarily mean everything conservative or old fashioned is wrong.

Yavvy wrote: »
    dont expect a large number of posters here to appreciate how important and how much great work the GAA does in every community in this country. A lot of them will be outside that experience in fact many will have been adversely effected.

Soccer clubs do great work too :confused:

Why talk about the work the GAA does in near mythical terms when plenty of other organisations give just as much to communities, and in other organisations case they don't do so whilst excluding other sports/people.

I'd really wish you'd lay off the whole "speaking to the soul of the nation" stuff.

Tom Humphries doesn't represent us you know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Pedro relax dude im fully aware of the great work other sporting organisations do in Ireland. in fact in Kilnamanagh tallaght where I grew up the GAA club has fallen apart while Kilnamanagh AFC has grown and grown. i know how important it is for kids to have sport in an area like that.. so Im very Thankful that they are thriving ( of course I would love to see St. Kevins there too). The scouts, boxing and martial arts are also growing which is great !

Local GAA, Soccer, Rugby, Boxing etc etc is welcome in every community in Ireland as far as I am concerned. I think kids should play every sport they can and find the one they enjoy most.

when I was 10 I played about 4 or 5 sports I sucked at all of them except Football.
    and so it became my life until I was about 16 (beer + girls enter stage left)

And this is the crux of point - Most people in the GAA I know would like to encourage people to play GAA but as long as they are playing sport they are happy. There are a few people who disapprove of soccer and they are a dying breed.
    However - Nearly everyone ( I accept I dont know many people) I know who is involved soccer have an aggression towards GAA - and disapprove of teammates playing it.

so Im a little confounded in this discussion because its the soccer guys leveling the same point at the GAA people.

if its the "dont play those Garrison sports" attitude your looking for you wont find many one here. However You will find the attitude that we should do everything we can to protect GAA ..some people feel part of that is not allowing other sports (especially soccer) in Gaelic grounds.

For my part Im the opposite. I think we should let soccer teams use gaelic grounds because its a whole new group of people to attract to and showcase Gaelic games.

I find soccer boring to play and watch ( champions league is the only soccer I can watch) I think there are bound to be a lot of kids playing soccer who feel the same. that screams new GAA members to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ok, I'm locking this thread. For two reasons that have shone through over the last 40 posts or so:

- the debate has largely begun to center on the relative weights of different sporting organizations within Irish society. Not only is that a bit OT from the original purpose of the thread, it's not a debate that I think is best placed here in the soccer forum;

- both sides of the discussion have stopped listening to each other pretty much, and are instead settling for the trading of petty barbs back and forth. Which is rather pointless;

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement