Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this build work?

Options
  • 04-04-2009 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

No experience about building, so want to know if these components would all fit together?

I have a monitor already, so apart from the OS software and keyboard/mouse is there anything I've missed?

Want to build a decent gaming rig and keep the cost down. Should I get a cheaper CPU (would it be overkill compared to the rest of the parts)?

Would the power be enough (500w)?

So many ??? :confused::o

build.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Yeah should work fine. e160 for that proc is nuts tho, prices seem to have gone very high lately

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Meh. E8000-series CPUs have always carried a premium.

grizzly: If you know anything about overclocking then you might want to switch to an E5200 and save yourself quite a bit of cash. If not then you'll probably be best off sticking with the E8400.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

grizzly wrote: »
    No experience about building, so want to know if these components would all fit together?
    Want to build a decent gaming rig and keep the cost down. Should I get a cheaper CPU (would it be overkill compared to the rest of the parts)?

Would the power be enough (500w)?

500w is more than enough.

Parts are well picked, you should be able to game away very very well on what you have picked.

You could go a little cheaper on the CPU: but I wouldn't. Most xchips below the cpu your are looking at have sod all cache which will kick you in some games.

I would stick with the parts you picked tbh.

(OPTIONAL) also consider the following 4850: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=442785

Tis a sapphire one with a vapour x cooler on it: it would be a much quiter andcooler than the standard reference cooler which can grate on the nerves at times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't know anything about overclocking (CPUs or GPUs). Would probably stay clear away from tinkering with brand new parts for fear of ending up with with some expensive paperweights.

Here are the same parts from hardwareversand. Does anyone think it's worth the saving?

picture56.png

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

yes

• Advertisement

One more question, I've heard that touching the CPU during installation can can be very risky (either through static discharge or bending a pin). Is this the case and how likely would this be for a 1st timer?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Ground yourself first (touch a pipe, PC chassis while physically connected to grounded mains but off, or wear AS strap connected to same) then just treat components gently, lifting from edges and doing your best to avoid coming into contact with any of their pins/contacts/headers etc. (touching heatsinks/heatspreaders won't kill anything). And bending the CPU pins is only possible with AMD or very old Intel chips; all newer ones have the pins in the mobo's CPU socket instead. Still, avoid touching the contacts on the CPU bottom with your hands as you don't want to get them greasy or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

You'll be okay... I'm very rough with all my components and they're all working fine :D

Well there working but not in unison at the moment!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

toco123 wrote: »
    You'll be okay... I'm very rough with all my components and they're all working fine :D

Well there working but not in unison at the moment!! :pac:

LOL I was just thinking I read something else in your other post, I'm pretty rough with my components myself and never had any troubles with a cpu. Never care about static and so on either.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Those socket 775 cpus dont have pins, they have these funny flat contacts so theres no chance of bending them!

Dont worry about installing the cpu, its a doddle, you just drop it in

• Advertisement

One thing I had forgotten about – soundcard. Do I need to add one to this build or would it come with the motherboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mobo will have onboard sound, personally I've been using onboard sound for a few years now, I had an x-fi briefly and with a decent set of speakers, the difference in quality was still pretty much indistinguishable to my ears. So I'd say that unless you were a serious audiophile, or had an extremely good set of speakers, that you wouldn't need to purchase a stand alone card. I've seen someone with an X-Fi Titanium using cheap 2.0 brandless speakers, for example....onboard sound and a good set of speakers would sound twice if not three times as good in that instance.

As for buying from HWV, yes it would be usually worth it, but in this case, factor in postage from both places and you're saving about....20 euro? Personally, I wouldn't buy from them just to save 20 euro.

Advertisement