Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it possible to grow priviacy?!!

Options
  • 04-04-2009 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

i need some priviacy!!!!

we have contry dormer bungalow where we have stake and posted off the site, we have recently put in a macrete patio at the back of the house but we can be seen from all sides.

i have bought high column galvanised planters to put around the perimeter of the patio in the hope of putting in some sort of high plant that would afford us some priviacy at least,

so my question is what do i plant in them?

we are in a very windy area so the plants would have to be very hardy to withstand having almost no shelter.

a local nursery suggested 'windweavers' but it looks very fragile. cost would also be an issue as we would have to buy quite a few to create the 'wall' look that we are after.

thanks so much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

what about bamboo? probably not cheap but would be tall and give you the coverage you need very quickly and look quite trendy

or you could put a trellis into each pot and grow some nice climbers up them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

thanks ellechim, as far as i know the windweaver is a type of bamboo. if anyone has any other suggestions or even some photos (or ideas where i could see some) of plants that would suit id be really grateful. i really am a novice when it comes to this and as plants are expensive i dont want to make the wrong choice now only to have to take them out in the future should they not be suitable. i have asked in the nursery but most people can only suggest bamboo (which i may have to settle for)
    thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭hoochio

I have planted 5ft high Grisillinia littoralis in oak barrels for hotels in my area to act as instant hedges for new spas in quite exposed areas which have done quite well but expect to pay 12-18 euros each for them. Google a nursery called ready hedge-they do mature plants for privacy. haven't dealt with them before but i hear good things!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The bamboo is really lovely, and it spreads like mad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

img20.jpg

living willow works well for privacy....this is an example of a 'fedge'
    (fence/hedge) made from willow,like the bamboo it too grows very rapidly
    but imo it is much more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The bamboo is really lovely, and it spreads like mad too.

Some varieties especially types eg Phyllostachs Aurea, which are used for screening are 'natural clumpers' and when planted in ground can be easily maintained within 500-900mm radius and often much less.

To restrict growth further they may also be 'tanked'.

Bamboos would better planted in troughs than tall planters as these might blow over. They would also demand regular watering to prevent 'drying out'. I wouldn't under-estimate the degree of maintenance bamboos planted up in planters will require.

Why not try something that is more drought tolerant, thrives in wind, grows quickly , can be easily cut back and offers evergreen foliage with added bonus of colour changing foliage with low temps? Too good to be true??

Dodonea visc. Pupurea!!

Advertisement